I keep reading about people trying to unlock their blackberry. What is the advantage of unlocking a phone? What happens when it is unlocked?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 08:28 PM
    can use different servic provider simcards in the phone
    02-11-09 08:31 PM
    Yeah, what he said. So you are free to use your phone with any carrier(almost) that requires the use of a SIM card. For instance, the Storm. It is a Verizon only phone. If you unlock it, you can use it with AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Rogers, and the list goes on.

People do this because they like the phone but don't want to switch from their current provider or plan to another.

That is called "Loyalty"

*cheers*
    02-11-09 08:36 PM
    In case you would like to go to a different carrier when overseas is why I would.
    02-11-09 08:40 PM
    Yes you can unlock a Storm and use it on ATT and Tmobile here in the US. However you do have drawbacks by doing so.

You lose your 3G data speeds, some people have trouble sending MMS, etc.

It's a matter of opinion, but personally when you unlock a phone and use it on a different network, you dumb down the phone. I love my SMART phone on VZW.
    02-11-09 08:46 PM
    wished mines was unlock
    02-14-09 08:52 PM
    tried to get it unlock but did not work
    02-14-09 08:52 PM
    wished mines was unlock
    I got bad news umm it is unlocked.. your using a Storm on T Mobile....
    02-14-09 10:34 PM
    Yes you can unlock a Storm and use it on ATT and Tmobile here in the US. However you do have drawbacks by doing so.

You lose your 3G data speeds, some people have trouble sending MMS, etc.

It's a matter of opinion, but personally when you unlock a phone and use it on a different network, you dumb down the phone. I love my SMART phone on VZW.
    are you saying that it loses this capability when you are using it on the alternative provider or it kills your ability to use this on your current one. I'm with Telus and I want to unlock my storm but not if it will kill my data speeds or do you mean data speeds when I pop in a SIM to use with another provider?
    06-08-10 09:30 PM
    The primary reason to unlock a storm is because the conniving thief you bought it from reported it stolen to get a replacement from Asurion, leaving you with a blacklisted ESN, so the phone can never be used on Verzion again.

Unless you can convince somebody to add your ESN back to the valid listings. Which may get them fired.

The ESN means jack to AT&T and T-Mobile, and there are no IMEI blacklists. But RIM can kill PINs if they choose to.
    06-09-10 01:23 PM
    are you saying that it loses this capability when you are using it on the alternative provider or it kills your ability to use this on your current one. I'm with Telus and I want to unlock my storm but not if it will kill my data speeds or do you mean data speeds when I pop in a SIM to use with another provider?
    It does not affect the ability to receive 3G on the network the phone was designed for. It only affects the GSM bands in North America.
    06-09-10 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD