I rarely switch my Storm 9520 (OS 5.0.0.580) off, but usually have it in Bedside Mode at night, with radio, wifi and LED all off. Last night, however, for some reason, I decided to power it off, using Menu > Power Off, but at just after 4am this morning, the phone woke me with an email alert. How can this happen with the device powered off? Is there some other way to fully power off the phone, other than removing the battery?

Also, I often find that when entering Bedside Mode, the radio will not switch off first time, allowing calls and SMS messages to still come through, but will switch off if I exit and re-enter Beside Mode. Has anyone else found this, and is it a general bug?
    05-09-10 02:26 PM
    the only way to totally power off is remove the battery. no cell phone is off actually off they its actually a stand by mode. bed side mode has setting you can go in to and set things how you want them. you go to clock then options for the bedside settings.
    05-09-10 03:12 PM
    Think of the power button like "sleep" mode on a Windows PC. It is in a low-power state, but still some events can quickly "wake" it to a fully active state, such as calendar events or timers, depending on what you have set up.
    05-09-10 03:48 PM
    It's different to any other phones I have had, all of which, when powered off, are fully off. It's not a real problem, I was just curious as to why it did it.
    05-10-10 02:05 AM
    How nice would it be if you pressed the power button an option came up that asked:
    STANDBY
    BEDSIDE MODE
    REBOOT
    POWER DOWN

With the ability to select a default that would be chosen if the power button was depressed and held....

While Verizon has provided me with replacement STORMs, I still have my orginal battery - which looks very worn
    05-10-10 10:46 AM
    Yes indeed, that would be brilliant.
    05-10-10 02:52 PM
    You may want to check Options > Auto On/Off to see what time it's set to turn on.
    05-10-10 04:08 PM
    Thanks, but it isn't activated.
    05-10-10 05:24 PM
    How nice would it be if you pressed the power button an option came up that asked:
    STANDBY
    BEDSIDE MODE
    REBOOT
    POWER DOWN

With the ability to select a default that would be chosen if the power button was depressed and held....

While Verizon has provided me with replacement STORMs, I still have my orginal battery - which looks very worn
    What a great idea. I wonder if somebody can develop an app that does this.
    05-10-10 06:18 PM
    Think of the power button like "sleep" mode on a Windows PC. It is in a low-power state, but still some events can quickly "wake" it to a fully active state, such as calendar events or timers, depending on what you have set up.
    Anyone know if this is the same for incoming calls?
    05-22-10 09:25 PM
    Anyone know if this is the same for incoming calls?
    No, incoming calls go to Voicemail (on mine). Try for yourself, by switching it off and calling it from a landline.
    05-23-10 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD