Please note that I'm not trolling here, I'm just trying to sort things out in my own head, and typing - and getting other people's reactions - helps sometimes.

As background, this is research - my decision point won't come until spring, when my free device becomes available. My key issue is the S1 "works" for me now - it's "adequate". Some days I actually love it, but then the problems again and the frustration builds. How long do I hold on for in waiting for it to deliver what I really need? What's reasonable, and when am I just beating my head against the wall? If anything I've been known to be too loyal to something and go way beyond reasonable when it comes to extending the benefit of the doubt. But this decision affects others as well. It affects my wife as she uses what I do as I have to support her. It's also a business decision that affects our company and everyone who works with us (my personal productivity directly impacts our performance and growth, and the technology I use becomes our company standard). So it's not "just a phone" - it's time required to learn it and make it work, reliable/unreliable communications, smooth/fast performance is supporting our activities etc. The device/hardware ... meh. The impact in terms of resources and performance ... huge. And a lot of that is app driven - I don't buy a computer to have one, I buy a computer because it runs the apps I need.

I've decided I don't owe either company anything - they are my dollars, thank you very much. And I've spent enough time working with my Storm and helping others that no one here can send any crp my way about being a troll over this, ok?

So with that as background, here's my dilemma :

As I've finally come to see it there are two devices, at very different stages in their development, both of which will improve in the future. Apple does R&D and improves products, so does RIM. At a high level, here's the current situation I see :

- iPhone is 3rd generation, lots of apps, fast/smooth performance, great "ecosystem", etc. And it generates TONS of user enthusiasm, which is important for user acceptance of any device or system. But it has limitations on management, security, multi-tasking, and messaging plus some minor issues on battery and expandability.

- Storm is 1st generation, a "decent" amount of apps, iffy performance (I'm on Telus' official .122 release), limited ecosystem and for an "average user" the problems get in the way of real enthusiasm. But very strong on management, security, multi-tasking and messaging. Also has minor issues on battery life but that can be worked around, and expandability is good though it still has limits.

Given what I see here, why would I not go the easy route - iPhone for now, switching back to Berry when/if the benefits to me get to where they exceed the iPhone? Given the large numbers of people and companies using the iPhone, while not perfect, the multi-tasking, security and messaging must be "good enough", right? And the user enthusiasm plus "ecosystem" and ease of support are pretty major pros.

I'm really teetering right now. Fortunately, the S2 is due out soon and my free device won't be available until spring so both the S2 and the iPhone on Telus' new HSPA network will have a track record by then. Not having to change carriers removes a significant variable in this decision.

Any comments? What am I missing?

- R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 10-09-09 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
    10-09-09 02:07 PM
    Well, if you're waiting til spring anyway, you should hold out until June for any updated iPhone. Given the fairly minor refresh last year, I'd expect a bigger change in the next model, but that's just me. That said. Just get it and try it out. If you don't like it, return it and get something else. There's no reason not to take this approach with any new phone.

I applaud your willingness to go with what you perceive as the best investment for your money instead of allowing loyalty to significantly influence your purchase. People should by the product best suited to meet their needs. Period.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by CASActuary; 10-09-09 at 02:27 PM.
    10-09-09 02:22 PM
    So that tome boils down to one question, huh? What are you missing?

It's a phone, not a battle between good and evil. Go where your wallet leads you.
    10-11-09 03:34 AM
    I use both devices, and prefer the Storm.

Thing is, Telus is CDMA and doesn't support the iPhone AT THIS TIME. That will change soon.

I've got a Rogers SIM and Blackberry account. UNLOCKED Storm on Bell. Swap sim from device to device works seamlessly, and I can honestly say using the iPhone is a real PITA, compared to the Storm.

iPhone is PRETTY, and slick, and got some great stuff, but it's just TEDIOUS to get stuff DONE on it.
    10-11-09 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD