This is something I have been thinking about lately. Obviously, the Storm knows the difference between a click and a touch, so why not have it in the options?

I am sure there are a good many users who like the click when it comes to menus, selecting icons, etc, but would just rather not use it when typing on the keyboard. Seems logical to me to have those kinds of options... and they could be made a part of a future OS upgrade.
    12-29-08 09:28 PM
    Perhaps it may come in a future update, or a 3rd party app
    12-29-08 09:30 PM
    Because SurePress is the foundation of the device. It will never happen and shouldn't.
    12-29-08 09:31 PM
    I think it might be a bit harder than just an OS update, it could very well be the hardware. Since the screen itself sits on a "touchplate" which allows for the pressing down of the screen, the hardware may not be designed to recognize anything other than a highlight with the varying amounts of pressure. If I am wrong and its simply a software issue, then you might one day see this come to fruition.
    12-29-08 09:31 PM
    Because SurePress is the foundation of the device. It will never happen and shouldn't.

Too bad the people doing the Quality Control didn't get that memo.
    12-29-08 09:33 PM
    I agree. Surepress is what made this device popular I think.
    12-29-08 09:33 PM
    Too bad the people doing the Quality Control didn't get that memo.
    Not even sure what that phrase means in this case. This is how the device is designed, it isnt an iPhone, it was made specifically different. If you like the iPhone interface that might be the best device for you. Or you can wait until virtual BB comes to the iPhone itself (if it ever does).
    12-29-08 09:35 PM
    I've seen this in many threads and I can't understand why anyone would want to type without the click. I agree that the option should be there, but I wouldn't have bought a touch screen (especially an email focused one) without some sort of haptic response.

I've played with the iPhone and other touch screen devices and the number of errant key presses is infuriating. That's why I love the "click" on the storm...

But again, it couldn't hurt to have the option!
    12-29-08 09:35 PM
    I actually like the click I honestly dont even notice it anymore.
    12-29-08 09:38 PM
    I've been asing my self that over and over. Use the click for starting apps and **** and have the keyboard click free. Then I could text just as fast as I did on my iPhone. It cant be that hard to write in software.
    12-29-08 09:39 PM
    I think it is possible just look at the current version op mini.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 09:41 PM
    Not even sure what that phrase means in this case. This is how the device is designed, it isnt an iPhone, it was made specifically different. If you like the iPhone interface that might be the best device for you. Or you can wait until virtual BB comes to the iPhone itself (if it ever does).
    Honestly, I couldn't have said this any better. RIM designed something different, and on purpose. And the technology is going to grow and get better and will be incorporated into new devices. But there should be no option to turn it off, Either you like it and you want it, or you don't.
    12-29-08 09:43 PM
    I think it might be a bit harder than just an OS update, it could very well be the hardware. Since the screen itself sits on a "touchplate" which allows for the pressing down of the screen, the hardware may not be designed to recognize anything other than a highlight with the varying amounts of pressure. If I am wrong and its simply a software issue, then you might one day see this come to fruition.
    Opera mini browser allows you to launch links etc. without clicking. So I think the phone is capable of click less operation.
    Still why go through all the trouble of creating a unique device and then making it like ever other touch screen phone out there. If you don't like the click get something else......
    12-29-08 09:44 PM
    of course its possible

Remember people that the act of highlighting is the storms capacitive touch, excatly like the iphone

If you install the mini opera

you will find that opera was not MADE for the storm
    BUT

it works perfectly, except for one thing

You dont need to click, you just tap like any other touch screen. try it

So yes its possible to shut it off

Bottom line is software has to be made specifically for the hightlight then click feature to work, without the app being made for storm, it will just operate like a normal touch screen
    12-29-08 09:44 PM
    I prefer the click but it makes sense to give people the choice. Its not really about wanting an Iphone. It just makes their product more marketable.
    12-29-08 09:46 PM
    of course its possible

Remember people that the act of highlighting is the storms capacitive touch, excatly like the iphone

If you install the mini opera

you will find that opera was not MADE for the storm
    BUT

it works perfectly, except for one thing

You dont need to click, you just tap like any other touch screen. try it

So yes its possible to shut it off

Bottom line is software has to be made specifically for the hightlight then click feature to work, without the app being made for storm, it will just operate like a normal touch screen
    lol looks like we were typing at the very same time and with the same thoughts in mind. I win
    12-29-08 09:46 PM
    Again, this will never happen and shouldn't. If you don't like how the devices functions, then it's probably not the device for you.
    12-29-08 09:47 PM
    Just because an application can fool the OS into thinking a selection (click) was made does not mean it will actually work with anything else. In opera, do you have to click to type in the web addresses?

Think of Windows. You can set it so that you just move the mouse over an icon and the OS forces a selection (double click), but the mouse hardware itself doesnt support that operation.
    12-29-08 09:48 PM
    The phrase means that the build quality lacks in consistency. It doesn't have anything to do with iPhone.
    12-29-08 09:54 PM
    I'd like to point out that the highlight action in oprea mini is the reason I took it off my Storm. I hate the fact that if I want to just highlight something it actually selects it. I was totally on the iPhone band waggon for a while, but the functionality of the Storm is why I stuck with RIM. I like being able to highlight something and stop myself if it's the wrong thing before I click. Keeps me from wasting time in a bumpy cab, or walking down the hall by going back to where I was before I accidently touched the wrong thing.

Not only that, but I love the fact that if my battery runs out I can just slap a new one in.
    12-29-08 10:04 PM
    Sure this is possible, but it would require a pretty massive rewrite of the entire OS and all apps to make it an option.

If you had to choose a single feature that defined the Storm, it would be SurePress hands down. Rather than simply make another Jesus Phone knockoff, RIM came up with a very interesting take on touch screens. I think it's rather brilliant, and I stop just short of calling it innovative. That word gets brandished about way too often when it doesn't apply. It's not quite innovative, but it is a great feature IMO, and is a very simple and elegant solution to the biggest problem touch screen devices face.

So for the upteen billionth time, this option is unlikely to ever surface, simply because of the amount of work involved. If there's ever a Storm 2 device, or just some kind of evolution of the Storm's concepts... There might be a very slim possibility of it making an appearance, but I very much doubt it will happen even then. More likely in my mind, is that the whole click screen idea takes off and you have dozens of Storm clones, and the click screen idea becomes a given on all touch screen devices. Right up until RIM, or someone else, creates some new kind of interface idea. I know I have a few ideas for such things, but while technically possible, they aren't really feasible with current technology. Implementing it on a desktop LCD monitor with a dedicated power feed would probably be difficult enough, let alone implementing it on a portable device.

Anyway... Like CX said... It's not going to happen, and it would completely undermine the single biggest selling point of the Storm, so RIM would be complete idiots to do it.
    12-29-08 10:10 PM
    The phrase means that the build quality lacks in consistency. It doesn't have anything to do with iPhone.

Right. I personally like the click, its just that my phone does not apply the click evenly so I am waiting for my replacement. I now have tried one that is perfect and I want a working phone.

The comment about quality control was just that. Go into your Verizon store and I bet that even the 2 phones they have feel different than each other at least a little bit. I have been to 3 verizon stores with 2 storms on display for each. In each store, I could tell the difference in the clicks between those two devices. It was incredibly obvious in the store I was in this afternoon on the way home from my Parents in Pa.

I tried an iphone and I didn't particularly like it. In addition to that, I like to send pics to my wife via MMS when I am say at our kids ball games that she can't make, etc. I wanted the better camera in the Storm, the better email handling, etc.

I just had a thought that the option might be nice to have for people who wanted a touch screen BB, but really didn't like the click or could type faster without it. I understand the reason they wanted the click, which I believe was a way to confirm the sending of emails, etc as opposed to accidentally touching send.
    12-29-08 10:12 PM
    One of my brothers, who is thinking about getting the Storm, one of his main concerns is the noise the clicking makes and how it would cause a problem on the job. he works on movie and TV sets and the clicking sound is actually picked up through the amplified microphones that are used.

so there is a problem with the sound, even if there is no way the silence it, that would stop some people getting the phone. again not that the "few" make much of a difference.

no argument form me, the sound is fine.
    12-29-08 10:15 PM
    Of course it is possible. It wouldn't take a "Massive rewrite" of the OS either. The Storm understands when it is tapped in certain spots as you can see when you highlight something. The "Click" is the equivalent of clicking with your mouse! I'm sure if RIM gets enough requests for the tap to select feature, it will EVENTUALLY be implemented. Seriously though guys, why in the world would you think it wouldn't be able to support this feature???
    12-29-08 10:20 PM
    Just to add...

That as a first time smart phone user, I am very impressed with all the options the phone does have. It seems that every option imaginable is there except this one.
    12-29-08 10:23 PM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD