Why do people keep saying the Storm 2 is not getting OS 6.
    Isnt it a leading smartphone. To me when they say smartphone I think touch screen and then after that they said including. So doesnt that mean both storms will be getting OS 6 since no one have legit proof yet???
    08-09-10 07:09 PM
    BlackBerry - Press Releases

Compatibility with Existing BlackBerry Smartphones
    BlackBerry 6 will debut on the new BlackBerry� Torch™ smartphone (announced today) available from AT&T on August 12 and it is also designed to run on select BlackBerry smartphones already in market. Subject to carrier certifications in the months ahead, the new OS is expected to be available for the BlackBerry� Bold™ 9700, BlackBerry� Bold™ 9650 and BlackBerry� Pearl™ 3G, as well as future BlackBerry smartphones.
    08-09-10 07:13 PM
    the OS is too big for a touch screen 256 mb device.

/end thread
    08-09-10 07:16 PM
    Why do people keep saying the Storm 2 is not getting OS 6.
    Isnt it a leading smartphone. To me when they say smartphone I think touch screen and then after that they said including. So doesnt that mean both storms will be getting OS 6 since no one have legit proof yet???
    No, sorry, it doesn't look like it from the other threads...the first Storm only had 128 memory and there is NO WAY it will work with that little of amount. The Storm2 only has 256 and it looks like it would need at least 512, unless they come out with a "lite" version, which I highly doubt.
    P.S. A smartphone and touchscreen has nothing to do with what OS they can use.
    08-09-10 07:18 PM
    Well, since it's true.
    you may delete or lock this thread.
    Thank you
    08-09-10 07:20 PM
    So the front page of Crackberry has a story about the Curve 3G and how it can run OS6. According to the official specs on the RIM site the Curve 3G has 256mb of memory, just like the Storm2.

If the Curve 3G can run it in 256mb then so can the Storm2 ... unless of course I'm missing something.
    08-09-10 07:52 PM
    So the front page of Crackberry has a story about the Curve 3G and how it can run OS6. According to the official specs on the RIM site the Curve 3G has 256mb of memory, just like the Storm2.

If the Curve 3G can run it in 256mb then so can the Storm2 ... unless of course I'm missing something.

You are missing something, the Curve has a trackpad, Storm2 is touchscreen, seems the touchscreen version needs more RAM.
    08-09-10 07:58 PM
    I bet this one dead horse that is tired of getting beaten.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 10:02 PM
    I bet this one dead horse that is tired of getting beaten.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    True but if the rumored OS6 build that VZW supposedly tested is leaked or another build is obtained, it may be possible to shrink it down acceptable memory levels. That horse may have some life in it.
    08-09-10 10:22 PM
    Even if the horse has some life in it, can I still kick it?

I think we all need to just wait and see what happens. Speculating isn't going to get us anywhere and I'm tired of reading "well if my 9630 can't get OS6 i'm getting an android" or "you mean my 7700 can't run OS6??".
    I think if we (storm2 users) could just get the new WebKit browser, that would be enough. Is OS 5 really that bad?
    08-09-10 10:35 PM
    i honestly dont think that OS 6 running on a storm in full would be any better than a well made OS 6 theme and somehow getting a webkit really. maybe some other smaller features. Point is OS 6 isnt revolutionary, the webkit is what the majority of peeps care about and themes can take of the rest of the "flash"
    08-09-10 11:04 PM
    What Matt said - all I "need" to make my S2 perfect is a faster browser. OS6's extra bells and whistles are just that IMO; if RIM would give us a webkit browser on a 5.x OS that'd do it for me, provided it doesn't break anything in the process.
    08-10-10 01:38 AM
    It is not issue of memory since 9700 has also 256mb and it is getting os6. I read somewhere, culprit is the "Touch Screen type" used in 9800 which is non clickable and similar to iphone and htc types. While, 9520/9550 storm2 has clickable screen and so OS6 is incompatible with Storm2. I don't know, how far this logic is corrrect but it would unfortunate on part of RIM, if OS6 is not made available to storm2. If I recall at the time of launching storm2 last year, RIM loudly supported for providing clickable screen and wanted to be unique in touch arena. What has happend to that uniqueness?
    08-10-10 01:46 AM
    That is not the case. The problem is that the Storm2 uses a virtual keyboard and that virtual keyboard takes up a lot more memory than a physical keyboard. Think about it. The OS needs to know when to bring up the keyboard, plus it actually has to display the keyboard, and it has to be able to register the touchs/clicks. In addition, the OS also needs to be able to sense where you touch in order to make the correct selection. This requires complex algorithms that all take space. So the Storm2 and all touchscreens take more space. Hence why when it comes to touchscreen BBs, only those with 512MB are expected to come with BB 6.
    08-10-10 02:19 AM
    That is not the case. The problem is that the Storm2 uses a virtual keyboard and that virtual keyboard takes up a lot more memory than a physical keyboard. Think about it. The OS needs to know when to bring up the keyboard, plus it actually has to display the keyboard, and it has to be able to register the touchs/clicks. In addition, the OS also needs to be able to sense where you touch in order to make the correct selection. This requires complex algorithms that all take space. So the Storm2 and all touchscreens take more space. Hence why when it comes to touchscreen BBs, only those with 512MB are expected to come with BB 6.
    Good take and clarification.
    08-10-10 03:31 AM
    i wish people would quit saying memory is not the problem
    08-10-10 12:18 PM
    I really like my Storm2, but until a few minutes ago I would have said "love." I just found out about this.

What a ******* pisser. I am really disappointed.
    08-10-10 12:40 PM
    It's actually a waste, RIM doesn't have a leg to stand out if the iPhone on VZW rumors are true. They have a few years (at least) before they lose the enterprise (corporate) clients/subscribers, but the individuals who use BBs on their own accounts are out. Look at the stats at which Android is growing, what model BB do you think they're migrating from?
    08-10-10 01:34 PM

/end thread
    based on what? the 9800 which is a touch and qwerty last time i checked os 5 for the bold 9650 was alot bigger than os 5 for the storm2 and the storm 2 os5 is bigger than the storm one so size probably isnt an issue could be the storm 2 might get the same os at the storm 3 just maybe or idk. i do know that i dont buy the os is too big it might be 10 megs 20 megs tops with all the fluff they put in there this isnt a computer os its java based there souldnt be a virtual keyboard that uses 100 mes of space bigger icons and all
    08-10-10 05:45 PM

/end thread
    I'm willing to bet the issue isn't memory. (Well, memory is an issue like it was for 5.0 and the 9500/9530)

I love how people are quick to say "the touchscreen takes way more memory"... It's an input device. It's not an application running in the background, it's not software... It's an input device.

Does your computer suddenly use more memory because you plug in a mouse (crappy proprietary drivers excluded, I'm talking about a regular mouse)? No, the OS simply waits for vectors/commands to process, and the acts accordingly.

Same with the touchscreen. The OS simply waits for touch coordinates and commands and then proceeds to act accordingly.

If it would be a memory issue... There is such a thing as swap space (paging in Microsoft terminology)... It doesn't 10 engineers to figure that one out...
    08-10-10 05:59 PM
    OS 6 takes atleast 240 MBs on the torch. So even if takes up slightly less space on a storm 2, its still leaves you with way to little memory to deal with IMO
    08-10-10 06:08 PM
    I wish people would stop calling it the 'radio' file. It is the operating system that contains the radio code (amongst other things!).
    08-10-10 07:26 PM
    I wish RIM had something in the works to release along with OS6 since they above all knew what could or couldn't run it when it was announced in the 1st place - and then we wouldn't have this flavor of thread, plus a few users wouldn't be as upset
    08-10-10 07:51 PM
    Just open it up and glue a stick of SDRAM on it and you are good to go!

(to the mental asylum!)
    08-11-10 12:40 PM
    Just open it up and glue a stick of SDRAM on it and you are good to go!

(to the mental asylum!)
    Hey that works! I didn't glue it though. I stuck it in between the phone and the car battery I MacGuyver'd on.
    08-11-10 12:50 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD