I noticed my Storm has been running very slow and lagging, so I decided to periodically check the memory. About 90% of the time it hovers from 10-12MB. Right after a battery pull it goes up to about 32.2MB for a while but quickly drops somewhere around 20MB. I do have VVM and VZNavigator installed. Running 4.7.0.75.

Other programs I have are:
    Accu Weather
    Nav4All
    Slydial
    Flycast
    SoftReset
    MySpace
    Opera Mini
    Vlingo
    JobpLite
    Nobex

Could one of these apps be the culprit for my lagging Storm?
    Thank so much for any help!!
    01-02-09 11:44 AM
    It seems you have a memory leak some where. Check your programs and make sure that compatibility mode is disabled.
    Options>Advanced>Applications>highlight program>blackberry key>select disable compatibility mode. Several of those programs this needs to be done too; as well as remove SoftReset many have issues with this program
    01-02-09 11:52 AM
    I had already disabled compatibility mode on these programs. Deleting Soft Reset and SlyDial (since I don't use it) now.
    Could this possibly be a Storm hardware problem, and not an app problem?
    01-02-09 12:05 PM
    I'm going to have to jump on this one with starrygirl. Mine is the same. It will run about 20MB or so. I changed some settings to clean the memory when idle and that isn't working. I have done a battery pull, so MAYBE that will help with it. But I'm on .85 and I have seen lower memory since. Running Nav4All, PhoneLock/TalkLock (whatever), BB Messenger, Gtalk, Yahoo, AIM, and the standard stuff. I don't think it's anything other than potentially BBM or N4A, as these were kept on and installed after the .85 upgrade. So that may be it, but that's like a 20MB drop and I don't even really use Nav4All. Maybe the GPS is taking some memory or something?
    01-02-09 12:18 PM
    You essentially answered your own question when you listed how many third party apps you have on the phone - and the fact that you have VZNav running. A certain amount of memoury is allocated to every app, and when they are running, it will drop your file free very quickly. Unfortunately, an error was made on RIM's part somewhere in the programming department that has not allowed memoury to be "returned" as available to the device once an app is closed out, hence the "memoury leak." Basically this means that the memoury that the application you were using is not freed up after closing down the app as it should. At any rate, my point is that you have a ton of intensive third party apps on your device, and I guarantee this is what is eating up your file free. Try seeing which apps you can live without, first off, then make sure you are actually properly closing everything out when finished. If you don't use Visual Voicemail or Docs to Go, get rid of them. I would honestly get rid of VZNav, but that is up to you if you actually are one of the few people who use it. You can also clear your event log, clear your browser cache and cookies, only store media on the media card, and do a daily battery pull, for starters.

Hope this helps.
    01-02-09 12:24 PM
    I had already disabled compatibility mode on these programs. Deleting Soft Reset and SlyDial (since I don't use it) now.
    Could this possibly be a Storm hardware problem, and not an app problem?
    If anything, this would be a software issue, not hardware. (See my post above.) Hardware refers specifically to the physical device itself, not the actual "workings" of the device - IE OS.
    01-02-09 12:25 PM
    I had this same problem running some of the same apps you listed on .75. I found that or some very strange reason I had eastern fonts installed on my blackberry. After deleting that I freed up 7mb memory.

Plug your blackberry into the DM and take a look at all the applications you have installed especially the fonts.
    I forgot to mention that the only running programs are Phone, Messages, Home, Browser, and BBM (which has been running since I got the phone, think about deleting it since I never use it anyways).
    Nav4all was a big issue for me.

I had tons of apps then I did a wipe and only used the apps I needed and it worked pretty good for me. Then upgraded to .85 but haven't downloaded any thing I didn't need.
    01-02-09 12:26 PM
    There is a thread in here somewhere about moving unused icons into other folders so that when you have you phone on the home screen and turn it into landscape mode, you only have 12 icons/folders showing. In other words, there is no scrolling to see other icons/folders...they all fit on the screen. For myself and others that added to the thread, it dramatically improves overall speed of the phone, stabilizes memory and increases battery life. After doing this (and I do have SoftReset on my Storm, my memory is now always around 28 to 32. My battery is now usually somewhere between 40 and 60 percent when I go to bed.

Grey

PS...I did get rid of VZ NAV and replaced it with Garmin Mobile, which I think is WAY better and much cheaper over the coarse of having the phone for 2 years (even for 1 yr).
    Last edited by grey; 01-02-09 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added comment about VZ NAV
    01-02-09 12:26 PM
    I moved all my icons and did notice when doing something and needing to switch over to the home screen, it's a lot faster. Went from 25 icons or so to 18 or so.
    01-02-09 12:28 PM
    You essentially answered your own question when you listed how many third party apps you have on the phone - and the fact that you have VZNav running. A certain amount of memoury is allocated to every app, and when they are running, it will drop your file free very quickly. Unfortunately, an error was made on RIM's part somewhere in the programming department that has not allowed memoury to be "returned" as available to the device once an app is closed out, hence the "memoury leak." Basically this means that the memoury that the application you were using is not freed up after closing down the app as it should. At any rate, my point is that you have a ton of intensive third party apps on your device, and I guarantee this is what is eating up your file free. Try seeing which apps you can live without, first off, then make sure you are actually properly closing everything out when finished. If you don't use Visual Voicemail or Docs to Go, get rid of them. I would honestly get rid of VZNav, but that is up to you if you actually are one of the few people who use it. You can also clear your event log, clear your browser cache and cookies, only store media on the media card, and do a daily battery pull, for starters.

Hope this helps.
    Ain't that the truth! LMAO
    01-02-09 12:31 PM
    Also myspace and facebook are usually culprits in memory eating. Like jenay said make sure you are closing out of your programs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 12:32 PM
    I forgot to mention that the only running programs are Phone, Messages, Home, Browser, and BBM (which has been running since I got the phone, think about deleting it since I never use it anyways).
    Don't delete BBM - I guarantee you at some point you will use it, love it, and prefer it over SMS. Just trust me.

My memoury drops quickly as well, but I have always just chalked this up to the fact that I am a heavy user. I am on my phone 24/7 due to work. Would you say this accurately describes your usage as well? As stated above, even though apps aren't currently running in the background, the memoury they used is not necessarily released to be utilized by other apps and processes. I am thinking this could be part of the memoury issue with the 9530....

What honestly gets me is that this device has 128MB of flash memoury, whereas my 8330 only had 96MB. However, I never ONCE had a memoury issue with the 8330. Not one time. Interesting..
    01-02-09 12:33 PM
    I had this same problem running some of the same apps you listed on .75. I found that or some very strange reason I had eastern fonts installed on my blackberry. After deleting that I freed up 7mb memory.

Plug your blackberry into the DM and take a look at all the applications you have installed especially the fonts.
    Well I have a Mac, so I can't really run the DM. Any way I can do this without using DM?

Oh.. and recently cleared the cache in the browser, because I thought that would help.. seems it didn't.
    01-02-09 12:34 PM
    Also myspace and facebook are usually culprits in memory eating. Like jenay said make sure you are closing out of your programs.

You are correct. Facebook is especially horrid. And honestly, let's be real here: As buggy as the Myspace app is at this point, is it honestly even worth having on your device? Hmm....
    01-02-09 12:34 PM
    MySpace app eats a lot. If your phone drops that low after a battery pull, it sounds like an OS issue.
    01-02-09 12:36 PM
    Well I have a Mac, so I can't really run the DM. Any way I can do this without using DM?

Oh.. and recently cleared the cache in the browser, because I thought that would help.. seems it didn't.
    Try running CrackMem on your device. With this app, you can delete PTT, VAD, preinstalled media, RIM internal tools, etc.
    01-02-09 12:36 PM
    Don't delete BBM - I guarantee you at some point you will use it, love it, and prefer it over SMS. Just trust me.

My memoury drops quickly as well, but I have always just chalked this up to the fact that I am a heavy user. I am on my phone 24/7 due to work. Would you say this accurately describes your usage as well? As stated above, even though apps aren't currently running in the background, the memoury they used is not necessarily released to be utilized by other apps and processes. I am thinking this could be part of the memoury issue with the 9530....

What honestly gets me is that this device has 128MB of flash memoury, whereas my 8330 only had 96MB. However, I never ONCE had a memoury issue with the 8330. Not one time. Interesting..
    I love BBM, I wish everyone I knew had BBM instead of AIM or SMS.
    01-02-09 12:37 PM

I run a Mac as well, and use DM by using VMWare Fusion and installing Windows that way. Just something to think about.
    01-02-09 12:38 PM
    You are correct. Facebook is especially horrid. And honestly, let's be real here: As buggy as the Myspace app is at this point, is it honestly even worth having on your device? Hmm....
    Is the FB app for the storm really that horrid? I have no problems on my curve.

01-02-09 12:46 PM
    yes, it is, but after the new revised version comes out, might be worth looking into...
    01-02-09 12:50 PM
    Thanks to everyone!
    Here's a bunch of my random responses to all of that..

I always make sure I close out of apps when I am done using them.
    Am I correct in assuming that VZNav still using available memory even when it is not running? Is Garmin any better with the eating of memory?
    I actually love the VVM, so I want to keep it if I can.
    I'll go through my apps and do a clean up of what I really want.
    I have only 12 icons on my home screen, but I got rid of the extras by hiding them. Possibly not what I was supposed to do. I'll move those to new folders somewhere.
    Deleting Facebook as I never use it, possibly MySpace too, because as someone said it sucks.
    The main reason I don't use BBM is because no one I know has a Blackberry. I wish I could use it since I hear great things about it.
    I was thinking about using that VMWare Fusion, but my Mac is pretty old school (PowerBook G4), so I don't know how it would like that.

Ugh.. I'll try all that hopefully it helps.
    01-02-09 12:52 PM
    There have been alot of Weather app complaints here on the boards especially regarding memory leaks.

Have you tried a wipe and re-installing everything from there? if that does not help try re-installing one by one the 3rd party programs till you find the culprit
    01-02-09 12:57 PM
    I don't understand why BlackBerry's have memory leaks. Is this a RIM problem or the programmers for third party apps? I don't see other smartphones have this problem and the thing that's most annoying is that there is absolutely no way (or any way that I've found) that can actually "stop" a memory leak, memory will always decrease and ultimately force the user to do a hard reset. RIM needs to really find a way to prevent this
    01-02-09 12:59 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD