This is why Im leaving Blackberry as a smartphone platform.
    1) Have the Storm (original with latest OS .419) and with only 3 apps, I only have 35MB of free RAM on a battery pull.
    2) Storm1 was RIMs flagship touchscreen and they loaded it with only 128MB of total RAM?
    3) Each time I install an application it takes up a few MBs of RAM without even running the damn thing, just install it (yes I did a battery pull!). So after about 8 apps, I have 19MB of RAM available on a battery pull, no memory leak yet.
    4) Interface is still reminiscent of Windows 3.11 (for workgroups)
    5) It has 3D capabilities but since they were cheap as ****, they only put 128MB of OS/App RAM so they are not supporting 3D (only Storm 2).
    6) HERE WE GO: BPS (Blackberry Professional Server). No HTML EMAIL SUPPORT AND NEVER WILL. I say never will because even if they do support it eventually, come on guys, does it take this damn long? So what did I do? I also have a mirrored BIS to my exchange webmail that takes much longer than 15 minutes to forward, and even then, only email syncs with BIS wirelessly.
    7) Half a dozen outages nationally/locally over the couple of months.
    8) Did I mention that RIM wants about $2,600 to upgrade (one-time fee) to BES from BPS??? Just so I can get my HTML email, thats all I care about, oh and maybe flag for follow-up is on my list too, so ok 2 things. $2,600?? I asked for an NFR since Im a consultant, and they said they gave out all their NFRs this year (last year actually).
    9) NO GAMES. Really, no 3D, no games man, I dont care how much you like that flight control 2D game, it doesnt cut it. If this was supposed to be an iPhone version-ish phone or at least an answer to it, at least put more than 128MB of RAM in the damn thing to support 3D (when you finally do support it).
    10) How many times does my phone have to flip into speaker phone mode while at a client when the other person is talking in the middle of the damn office in a cube so my client can hear me talking about stupid stuff to my wife? Come on!!! And whats with the scrolling of contacts all jittery. Yes I have tested all hybrids, leaks, legit Oss, all had that stupid *** jittery flick scroll on contacts. What gives??? This is my 2nd Storm, and both did it. Battery life kicks *** though.
    11) No WiFi. No Im not going to buy a 256MB RAM Storm2, sorry, just storm 1 with more RAM, not much more though, and better clicking with WiFi.
    I think the outages lately have pushed me over the edge though, I like BBM but its tied to the outages as well. There are many things I like about it, but when those outages hit, and you have 8 companies/clients that rely on Bberry and youre not sure whats going on yet, then you get a crapload of calls/emails that bberry is not working, thats not a great solution for your clients.
    I like this site/forum. I think for the most part, the people here are intelligent and very helpful, espcially with leaks/hybrids, etc. But RIM has just not done a good job of progression with their OS. Flick scroll doesnt seem native to the 5.0 OS, just seems like an add-on like the rest of the pretty bells and whistles.
    So Im making a switch on January 25th to a new device, new platform. Sticking with VZW, so can you guess which device? Of couse you can, because maybe, just maybe youre thinking the same way as I am.
    01-19-10 11:59 AM
    see ya, when the droid's battery life keeps you to a charger pluged into the wall or computer's USB port just remeber " i told you so "

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-10 12:02 PM
    nah, wrong guess. No droid for me man. I still have a bberry in my household, but not as my main device. I have to admit though the storm (after 4000 updates later) holds a charge very well after 13 months on the same battery.

Palm Pre Plus would be the correct answer.
    01-19-10 01:08 PM
    Personally, I don't have half of the issues that you have listed. I'm on my first device still, it's been running with no problems, and I knew it didn't have wifi when I bought it. However, everyone is entitled to a device they want to have around and love, and hopefully your next phone works out better for you
    01-19-10 01:40 PM
    1) Have the Storm (original with latest OS .419) and with only 3 apps, I only have 35MB of free RAM on a battery pull.
    2) Storm1 was RIM’s flagship touchscreen and they loaded it with only 128MB of total RAM?
    3) Each time I install an application it takes up a few MBs of RAM without even running the damn thing, just install it (yes I did a battery pull!). So after about 8 apps, I have 19MB of RAM available on a battery pull, no memory leak yet.
    ok so you obviously dont under stand how memory works. Each app gets installed into the "application memory" which is 128 MBs. So yes when you install an app the memory you have goes down.

5) It has 3D capabilities but since they were cheap as ****, they only put 128MB of OS/App RAM so they are not supporting 3D (only Storm 2).
    this is true, storm 1 gets screwed here i agree

11) No WiFi. No I’m not going to buy a 256MB RAM Storm2, sorry, just storm 1 with more RAM, not much more though, and better clicking with WiFi.
    you knew wifi wasnt on the phone, and software wasnt going to magically make it appear. If it means that much to you then you should have looked at other options that were out there.

I will give you the outages complaints because it seems to be a growing trend that is not cool. I would like to see the N1 on VZW and see what that is like. My storm 2 is awesome but the N1 has potental to be much better

As for the BPS stuff i am not sure what all it entails or why you can get by with BES and BIS. So that seems like something very specific to you and doesnt affect hardly anyone here that gives a damn really.

Anything you switch to will have its share of issues. everything has its pluses and minuses. nothing does everything the way you are going to need it.
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-19-10 at 08:09 PM.
    01-19-10 01:54 PM
    right, wifi is a plus, but honestly VZW is solid so i don't care that much about wifi, but my point was that if you make a device comparable or to compete with the iPhone, at least put wifi in it, but RIM was not ready, nor did VZW probably want it at the time, but now they're kinda pressured into it by other device manufacturers (this is a personal opinion, not a fact).

and i very much understand how RAM works. You have 800+MB of application space on the storm, which is great, however the RAM, which is measurable by going to either appworld and it shows you at the top, or going into tools, memory options, and seeing free memory is drained by adding apps. so if i added no apps at all, and battery pulled it, i get 49MB of available memory. If I ADD 10 apps, i ended up with 20MB after a battery pull before i even launched any application, and application switcher does not show any other apps running.

Also, BPS is very popular, especially people coming off of 3.x BES it was a no brainer if you had less than 30 devices to deal with you can easily move to 4.x at no cost to BPS. BES allows for a boatload of devices and was given forwarding support after 4.16 to 5.0. BPS people got screwed and they never release anything newer like they promised...and promised to me personally by my sales rep and a tech rep almost 2 years ago! So BPS, no html email, no "anything" that 5.0 brought in new.

My complaint is simply this: Enough of the outages, and enough of the BS OS5.x. They need to revamp, and they are more concerned about releasing 5 million variations of the devices than they are a solid OS. How the **** can you put only 128MB of RAM into a very nice "under the hood" device (meaning processor, 3D capabilities, etc). they replaced it 10 months after it launched with only 256MB. Yes i'm complaining because i've been a bb user for years, and loved the product and services, and the services are failing, and it makes me look bad as a consultant, and pisses of many people. RIM started off basically with a kick *** SMS type of device, and worked it from there, but they have not leaped far enough to where they need to be in this incredibly competitive smartphone environment, espcially when it comes to their own infrastructure dropping out (corrupt database) because of what?? a flakey BBM client.
    01-19-10 02:51 PM
    no problem here,,,i juz love ma storm
    01-19-10 03:07 PM
    see ya, when the droid's battery life keeps you to a charger pluged into the wall or computer's USB port just remeber " i told you so "

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ahah whatever-

once you get task-killer up and running, and keep the screen's brightness down you can go a productive day and 1/2 easy.

$Matt
    01-19-10 05:52 PM
    ahah whatever-

once you get task-killer up and running, and keep the screen's brightness down you can go a productive day and 1/2 easy.

$Matt
    lol, i can go without task killer and without touching the screen brightness and easily run a day

i charge every night

as i did with my storm

no difference

well, except the droid is a lot better than the storm ha
    01-19-10 06:02 PM
    right, wifi is a plus, but honestly VZW is solid so i don't care that much about wifi, but my point was that if you make a device comparable or to compete with the iPhone, at least put wifi in it, but RIM was not ready, nor did VZW probably want it at the time, but now they're kinda pressured into it by other device manufacturers (this is a personal opinion, not a fact).

and i very much understand how RAM works. You have 800+MB of application space on the storm, which is great, however the RAM, which is measurable by going to either appworld and it shows you at the top, or going into tools, memory options, and seeing free memory is drained by adding apps. so if i added no apps at all, and battery pulled it, i get 49MB of available memory. If I ADD 10 apps, i ended up with 20MB after a battery pull before i even launched any application, and application switcher does not show any other apps running.

Also, BPS is very popular, especially people coming off of 3.x BES it was a no brainer if you had less than 30 devices to deal with you can easily move to 4.x at no cost to BPS. BES allows for a boatload of devices and was given forwarding support after 4.16 to 5.0. BPS people got screwed and they never release anything newer like they promised...and promised to me personally by my sales rep and a tech rep almost 2 years ago! So BPS, no html email, no "anything" that 5.0 brought in new.

My complaint is simply this: Enough of the outages, and enough of the BS OS5.x. They need to revamp, and they are more concerned about releasing 5 million variations of the devices than they are a solid OS. How the **** can you put only 128MB of RAM into a very nice "under the hood" device (meaning processor, 3D capabilities, etc). they replaced it 10 months after it launched with only 256MB. Yes i'm complaining because i've been a bb user for years, and loved the product and services, and the services are failing, and it makes me look bad as a consultant, and pisses of many people. RIM started off basically with a kick *** SMS type of device, and worked it from there, but they have not leaped far enough to where they need to be in this incredibly competitive smartphone environment, espcially when it comes to their own infrastructure dropping out (corrupt database) because of what?? a flakey BBM client.
    The 128 MBs is App space is like i explained once before. It contains the OS load and the apps you install. like i said you install an app it takes part of this space.

You can not install apps onto the 800+ MBs of free space you see. This is for pics, videos music etc
    01-19-10 07:16 PM
    I boot up with about 25MB and get down to about 10MB after a few days (leaky 3rd party apps and media player) and I don't have any performance issues. It would be nice to not have any leaks, but they don't affect my use of the phone much, if at all.

I read a review of the Nexus 1 yesterday in the New York Times. The reviewer said that if one is a heavy user of Google services, the Android OS is great. If not, things become problematic. I hate Google for everything but their search engine. So Android is an experience I'll forgo.

Enjoy your Droid. I'll hang on to my wonderful Storm with it's five email accounts, two medical databases (which is why my memory is only 25MB at boot) and great phone functionality.
    01-19-10 07:43 PM
    The 128 MBs is App space is like i explained once before. It contains the OS load and the apps you install. like i said you install an app it takes part of this space.

You can not install apps onto the 800+ MBs of free space you see. This is for pics, videos music etc
    Understood. I read up on the RAM thing. Very poor design, but hey, they are better than I.

and for the record, as mentioned above, it's the Palm Pre Plus I am possibly moving to, not the Droid. We'll see.
    01-20-10 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD