A long time ago I had a RIM 850. It was a pretty ingenious device at the time. I progressed my way through the devices from the 5000's, 6000's, 7000's 8000's. There was always a clear purpose for the device -- contact management, email, calendar functionality. Anything else was bells and whistles. With each new device there was new functionality, but the core purpose of the device was always the driving force behind its development and progress. Blackberry forums were always a great resource to ask questions about device setup, BES configuration, Bluetooth and other related questions.

Then, along comes the Storm. I have to admit, I was excited to see its release. I was not one of the ones waiting in line for it, but I did upgrade as soon as it was generally available. All of a sudden I noticed a paradigm shift in the world of blackberry. No longer was it about emails, contact management or anything like that. Now it was about "Flick Scrolling", "Bluetooth Audio when watching videos" and "Keyboard lag" (longer than a half a second... I'd like to have seen these people type on the 850!!). Now, I am not trying to discredit people who want features that were promised with their purchase, but seriously. Would you return your Lexus if it had a bad alignment? Anyways, I am getting off track.... back to my original gripe.

So now the forums have changed. 90% of the posts are:
    "HELP ME NOW, I bricked my BB"
    "I get error XXX, how do I fix this"
    "The storm SUCKS"
    "Where's the next beta, this is ridiculous, Verizon sucks!"
    "How do I get my browser back"
    "Downloading now!!!!!!!! ....this OS ROCKS!! ...oh wait, I just froze, this OS SUCKS!"

The only conclusion I can come to is that the Storm has brought on a new breed of Blackberry enthusiast which is a younger crowd which doesn't truly get the Blackberry Bloodline. I don't want to be one of those "Get off my lawn, you stupid kids!!!" kind of guy, but it really is kind of stupid. I am craving for the days of old when the posts would be about BES Policies, Bluetooth integration and other intelligent conversation.

I know those days will never return, but I can dream.

For now I will just keep scrolling through the posts, trying to weed out the few that have accurate, non-repeated information that is not rumor based.

Rant over, thanks for letting me vent.
    02-25-09 08:12 AM
    I have to say, I don't see this as a "rant" per se...but then again, i'm fairly open minded.

I hear where yer coming from...I've never owned a BB til i got my storm on 12/29.... i even tried the Motorola Q last time I upgraded phones.... didn't like the size....or WinMo....i was too used to T9 texting....blah blah.

You can consider me a n00b to the scene...and at 31...i'm not exactly part of the younger crowd. I got the Storm because I liked what it had to offer at the time, and the potential it has down the road. I didn't jump the day it came out, for the reasons that are evident now (constant OS leaks). I'm really lookin forward to when they "get it right" as everyone is saying. Mine lags....I have to do BP's every now and then (**** the latest caveat is the screen fading to black and not being able to see anything....but i think that's a hardware issue, that i'll take up @ Verizon today).

Well written *rant*....and i wish you luck from the other posters ready to ostracize you.

:-D
    02-25-09 08:53 AM
    Well, you've said it yourself- the Blackberry of old has changed; along with it's user base. More and more people are using BlackBerries and there was going to come a time in which RIM had to move along with the changing times as well.

As far as your title, no one forced you to get a Storm and if you hate it so much, use something else.

I can see this post getting a lot of heat- so be prepared.
    02-25-09 08:55 AM
    the world is also changing and phone needs with it. BB still hosts a variety of phones that, each on it's own, does slightly different things in a newer look or format. Progress I guess. The Storm is only one format that BB user's can choose. If the phone meets your needs with all the bells and whistles, then that's what you use. Yours is not so much a rant as a lament! "Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas!"
    02-25-09 09:16 AM
    You could also argue that RIM has changed the way it functions aka releasing a phone that is half-functional
    02-25-09 09:49 AM
    But in a way there is only so much the old BB way could do before change is neccessary to keep up with the current market.

Storm id say is a project still under work and it will 1 day be what BB expected it will just take time i think.

I own a storm also and at 22 you could say im part of the younger crowd and as this is my 1st BB ive had my share of software and hardware problems with it after 1 week i got a complete exchange and ive been ok since but new things have started showing.

end of the day problems occur with every handset and they will get fixed.

If you expect to get a new phone with no software, hardware or any sort of problems then you really should focus your time on something else because a phone isnt for you
    02-25-09 09:56 AM
    Well. I am another first time bb owner and at 30 I think I am not part of the young crowd anymore. I do check for os leaks and all as well. I am learning as much as I can and after 3 months I still find at least 1 new thing about bb every day. I also feel your pain trying to find an original relevant post that doesn't mirror a post 3 lines down.
    My first choice for the bb was the bold but I hate AT&T and I looked up the Niagra which looks like a big curve and I was able to upgrade and decided to try the storm. I love it and their are pp here who want to help. But I see exactly where u r coming from. Intelligence is a lost art.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 10:00 AM
    Camoto, I agree with you to a point.

Welcome to the internet circa 1995. That's when hobbyists and technological enthusiasts started to bump elbows with users who had OMG!!!!!!11, LOLOL, teh, in their vocabulary. AOL couldn't contain them when they transitioned to flat free pricing and so they were unleashed into the cyber-wild.

The demographic began to completely and utterly change to a 'less sophisticated' user than before.

Then something else happened. HCI concepts and studies began to flourish. The system interface began to conform to the user rather than the other way around, enabling these 'less sophisticated users' to function more or less on the same level as their more experienced counterparts.

In my opinion, things eventually changed for the better, but the orientation was rough.

I believe the Storm is the catalyst that will do to BlackBerries what happened to the internet back in the mid 90s. Many of the old guard will hate this transition, but I think ultimately this will lead to a gateway of innovation and advancement.
    02-25-09 10:31 AM
    Many people on this forum are young. They are of the "live chat", Instant message, social website generation. It is evident by the many "one liners" which are meaningless on this forum.

"Downloading Now"

"Installing now"

Who gives a rat's a$$ about what they are doing at every given moment. This isn't Twitter. It is a waste of everyone's time. And even the the OM specifically asks posters to stay on the subject, they continue to post worthless info.

They can't help it. It is what they do all day on the social "scene"; "I'm having coffee." "Getting ready for work". "I'm wiping my...."

You can take 100 pages of an unofficial release thread, remove all the BS, and end up with just a few pages of "findings".

Now I will also be flamed for what I said. Because I notice that when one posts on this forum, it is a standard thing to do. I have seen it when people are asking for real help, let alone a rant.

You will be Psycho-analyzed.

They will decided if your post is a rant or not.

They will look at you "handle" and if they see 1952, they will assume you are old and stupid and will attack you on that point.

They will basically tell you everything about you, but very little about the problem.

I'm going to click on "Submit Reply" now!
    02-25-09 10:42 AM
    I was LOL.
    02-25-09 10:43 AM
    You could also argue that RIM has changed the way it functions aka releasing a phone that is half-functional
    Very good point!
    02-25-09 10:48 AM
    If the Storm had a solid OS, these forums (other than the How-to, tips and tricks) would be empty. There wouldn't be a Beta OS forum, rants and raves, etc... Its all RIMs fault!!! BTW, I'm 35 and sitting on my couch with laptop, drinking coffee if anyone cares! You have been tweeted!! lol
    02-25-09 10:55 AM
    If the Storm had a solid OS, these forums (other than the How-to, tips and tricks) would be empty. There wouldn't be a Beta OS forum, rants and raves, etc... Its all RIMs fault!!! BTW, I'm 35 and sitting on my couch with laptop, drinking coffee if anyone cares! You have been tweeted!! lol

I whole heartedly agree.
    02-25-09 11:09 AM
    A long time ago I had a RIM 850. It was a pretty ingenious device at the time. I progressed my way through the devices from the 5000's, 6000's, 7000's 8000's. There was always a clear purpose for the device -- contact management, email, calendar functionality. Anything else was bells and whistles. With each new device there was new functionality, but the core purpose of the device was always the driving force behind its development and progress. Blackberry forums were always a great resource to ask questions about device setup, BES configuration, Bluetooth and other related questions.

Then, along comes the Storm. I have to admit, I was excited to see its release. I was not one of the ones waiting in line for it, but I did upgrade as soon as it was generally available. All of a sudden I noticed a paradigm shift in the world of blackberry. No longer was it about emails, contact management or anything like that. Now it was about "Flick Scrolling", "Bluetooth Audio when watching videos" and "Keyboard lag" (longer than a half a second... I'd like to have seen these people type on the 850!!). Now, I am not trying to discredit people who want features that were promised with their purchase, but seriously. Would you return your Lexus if it had a bad alignment? Anyways, I am getting off track.... back to my original gripe.

"The storm SUCKS"
    "Downloading now!!!!!!!! ....this OS ROCKS!! ...oh wait, I just froze, this OS SUCKS!"

The only conclusion I can come to is that the Storm has brought on a new breed of Blackberry enthusiast which is a younger crowd which doesn't truly get the Blackberry Bloodline. I don't want to be one of those "Get off my lawn, you stupid kids!!!" kind of guy, but it really is kind of stupid. I am craving for the days of old when the posts would be about BES Policies, Bluetooth integration and other intelligent conversation.

For now I will just keep scrolling through the posts, trying to weed out the few that have accurate, non-repeated information that is not rumor based.

Camoto, welcome to the forum. Others have made some valid points regarding change, but I don't think it's anything you wouldn't consider acceptable based on your observations, although I could be wrong. The Storm does need some polishing when it comes to the OS, but the device speaks for itself when used, as I don't have hardware or software issues (currently on .109, by choice because I like to tinker with stuff). I've had mine since day 1, so I was definitely one of the fortunate ones, on this forum anyways, that didn't have dust, reboots, VSODs, etc.

And the issues you mention about people considering .0005 seconds to respond LAG, I also have to agree with you. People today want things now, or 5 minutes ago, but can't wait for anything. I can see this in myself sometimes and it's often hard NOT to be that way when we can get everything sooner, but again, so is how it goes.

My personal opinion about the device is, it is what I was looking for from BB, hands down. It doesn't have all the little apps or some cool features like the iPhone, but the iPhone can't do a lot of what the Storm will do and even more to the point from a corporate perspective. RIM right now has the market on the business side of these devices and is trying to get more of what the personal side has. The more releases for the software, the better and eventually they will have a solid and stable OS that will appeal to the "now" generation as well as the business niche. If in a year RIM is still working out bugs for the Storm line, then I will have been officially disappointed with their support for the phone.

It shouldn't be common or standard to update the OS just about EVERY couple of weeks, but I personally like stuff like that and don't mind it. But for the every day lay person, it can be cumbersome. If you still have the phone, you may want to try one of the newer unofficial OS versions to see if it runs better.

I'm also with you about sifting through the post to get to ones that have sustenance. I came across yours as I want to see who is posting rants and see if the person has ONE post or has been posting enough to mean they are using the board for more than just a cry session. Unfortunately, one of the posters here didn't bother to read what you wrote and just assumed you were complaining about the phone. But when people like that assume, they make an as$ out of themselves....and themselves again.

See you around!
    02-25-09 12:52 PM
    Ok I don't know how old you are but this is what is called business. RIM wants to make as much money as possible and right now this requires. Them to adjust there current demographic to business and multimedia. Hence the storm.
    Also don't stereotype younger people as not all just say OMG111 all the time. I am16 and I don't go around doing that

02-25-09 06:09 PM
    Here's a one liner. I love my storm and havent had any problems yet. I am not a child/ or living off someone else! Guess you could go to att and be done. I am sure they would love to make you unhappy for 2 years. 52/ 39 whats the differance? Other then 13 years that is.
    02-25-09 06:25 PM
    You guys need to chill-da-f-out

How can you complain that you dont like the topics on the forums anymore?? get a life bro
    02-25-09 06:28 PM
    Well, you've said it yourself- the Blackberry of old has changed; along with it's user base. More and more people are using BlackBerries and there was going to come a time in which RIM had to move along with the changing times as well.

As far as your title, no one forced you to get a Storm and if you hate it so much, use something else.

I can see this post getting a lot of heat- so be prepared.
    The only issue I have with this above post is that it is hypocritical to the other "I hate my Storm" posts. Usual response is sympathetic.

Other than that I agree entirely with the OP. Granted I am new to this forum because of my Storm purchase I have used and supported the older Blackberry models.

Granted RIM needed to expand. It just brought the IPhone mindset with it. Something they are not used to. But criticism can be used as a benefit so they can improve their entertainment devices.
    02-25-09 06:44 PM
    Ok I don't know how old you are but this is what is called business. RIM wants to make as much money as possible and right now this requires. Them to adjust there current demographic to business and multimedia. Hence the storm.
    Also don't stereotype younger people as not all just say OMG111 all the time. I am16 and I don't go around doing that

Instead of just posting the first thought that comes to your head, try READING what the OP wrote and try to respond to his comments, don't just the first sentence your mind can create. He has a few thoughts in his thread that require more than just skimming for key words. Your post is extremely transparent, in other words, immature.

Honestly, you haven't been alive long enough to understand what he is talking about if you are 16. The first BB's that were available to the public was about 2000, so you'd be about what, 7? It doesn't matter how old he is or you are, but when you respond with your "don't call me a kid that acts stupid" comment, you look stupid.
    02-25-09 07:42 PM
    The OP has a valid point. If RIM stops catering to it's core audience we may see their eventual downfall. I was speaking to my BES administrator today and he made a comment that kinda got me worried. He said that over the past six months that 50% of BB users have switched to active sync devices (iphone, G1, etc.) he continued to say how the active sync devices have no need for RIM (duh) but a vastly easier for him to support than RIM's BES. This has me worried because I love owning BB. When it comes down to it, I use it for work. If my system admin makes the choice to eliminate the BES and move to active sync I will hate it. I would be curious to see if anyone out there has had conversations like this floating around their office.

In addition to that if your not on BES its my impression you still need RIM to own a BB, but the BES is is RIM's bread and butter and it seems like that may not be needed in the near future.

RIM better get it together and make a stance to assert their dominance once again in this new market.
    Last edited by rellims; 02-25-09 at 09:02 PM.
    02-25-09 09:00 PM
    The OP has a valid point. If RIM stops catering to it's core audience we may see their eventual downfall. I was speaking to my BES administrator today and he made a comment that kinda got me worried. He said that over the past six months that 50% of BB users have switched to active sync devices (iphone, G1, etc.) he continued to say how the active sync devices have no need for RIM (duh) but a vastly easier for him to support than RIM's BES. This has me worried because I love owning BB. When it comes down to it, I use it for work. If my system admin makes the choice to eliminate the BES and move to active sync I will hate it. I would be curious to see if anyone out there has had conversations like this floating around their office.

RIM better get it together and make a stance to assert their dominance once again in this new market.
    And I think that is where BB would make moves to adapt to the needs, yet stick to their guns with their service and software. I'm definitely not that technically savvy, but I would imagine that RIM can adapt to needs and still keep the framework they built their company on. That is opinion, mind you, as I have no idea what it takes to develop the kind of software they have nor the infrastructure to implement a hybrid approach to managing that kind of information.
    02-25-09 09:04 PM

"The storm SUCKS"

Very well written rant/opinion/ or whatever.
    You stated your issue and made sense. Hopefully some others will follow suit.
    02-25-09 09:09 PM
    say what you want but the storm is the best bb out .... better than the iphone and any other blackberry although the bb bold does put up with it
    02-26-09 07:55 AM
    Thanks for the critiques (positive and negative).

I just want to clear up a couple of things.

First, I don't hate my storm. I intended to use the lost art of similie in the title of my post, and I thought it would be apparent, however I don't think it was. I think the Storm is a great device, my rant was targeted more at the direction of things in the Blackberry world since the Storm's release.

Second, I don't hate kids-- I don't even consider myself to be that old!! It was a generalization of what I DON'T want to be. Again, I thought that this was an obvious point that I was making, and I want that to be clear.

Lastly regarding getting a life because I don't like something... what is this forum for again? That one was actually ironic enough to make me blurt out a laugh.

I am glad to see that with some of the replies that I am not alone in my thinking. I hope RIM remembers what their market and user base grown out of. While I enjoy the bells and whistles, it's not the primary reason I use my device. If I just wanted to fix a crooked shelf and play games all day, I would have bought a Jesus Phone instead.

Thanks again.
    02-26-09 08:02 AM
    Very well written rant/opinion/ or whatever.
    You stated your issue and made sense. Hopefully some others will follow suit.
    Very well articulated! My thoughts exactly
    02-26-09 08:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD