I spent over an hour with the Storm tonight (Verizon, os version .65). I loved the screen, feel of the device, and device sound quality. However, I find the keyboard to be quite unusable and actual painful to use. After the hour was over, my thumbs were killing me.

I actually think RIM should have just made it a plain old touchscreen, because it would be an incredible device. As it is the surepress makes typing difficult at best and adds nothing. I know a lot of people here will make excuses, but I will bet a majority of people here will agree with me by tommorow night.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 07:09 PM
    I sense a Class Action medical lawsuit coming.
    11-20-08 07:11 PM
    As it is the surepress makes typing difficult at best and adds nothing.
    The SurePress doesn't give you any extra feedback at all?
    11-20-08 07:12 PM
    I think the surepress takes some getting used to. Since no one is inclined to push on a screen you may just be heavy handed and pushing harder then needed. Just my 2 cents.
    11-20-08 07:12 PM
    It does, but the feeback alone doesn't make typing feel any more accurate. Another thing, type letters on the bottom and the side of the screen is far more difficult than letters in the middle. For example, in portrait mode, the space bar is very difficult to press.

11-20-08 07:14 PM
    I spent over an hour with the Storm tonight (Verizon, os version .65). I loved the screen, feel of the device, and device sound quality. However, I find the keyboard to be quite unusable and actual painful to use. After the hour was over, my thumbs were killing me.

I actually think RIM should have just made it a plain old touchscreen, because it would be an incredible device. As it is the surepress makes typing difficult at best and adds nothing. I know a lot of people here will make excuses, but I will bet a majority of people here will agree with me by tommorow night.

I have no clue why they would ever include something like the clickable screen, it would have been 10 times better with just the normal screen like the iPhone. They had to make it much more difficult, and for what? It does nothing of good use. It just makes it much harder to use. Dont people not like press touch screens for the reason that you have to actualy PRESS it? Why would you make it a worse screen by making it so you have to press down even more?? They should stick with the screen where its not pressure, its electric, or heat sensored or whatever. Now I am not so sure if i want this phone anymore, and now I am very upset.
    11-20-08 07:14 PM
    It will just take some getting used to. I can still remember coming from my 8703 to my 8830. I freaking HATED the trackball. My hand hurt so bad the first couple of days I had it, but now... it's like I can't go back to the track wheel. It's the same concept.
    11-20-08 07:18 PM
    I find all of these complaints quite strange. People claim the "clickable" touchscreen is hard to use and rather painful...

Yet, they don't complain about the keyboard on the bold or the curve. It's the same concept. You must physically push something down with force. Actually, it takes nearly the same amount of pressure to push the screen down vs the physical keyboard on the curve. I'm failing to see the issue here.
    11-20-08 07:18 PM
    Now I am not so sure if i want this phone anymore, and now I am very upset.
    I don't understand this kind of comment. Did you just discover you have to push the screen????

11-20-08 07:20 PM
    I have heard lots of similar reports, and to me the real strength of a BlackBerry is the physical QWERTY keyboard - that's what made BlackBerry big in the first place, so it seems that this device is just a rushed reaction to the iPhone. It falls short in addressing the core reason the BlackBerry has been so successful in the past - - Typing short emails and text. This is a deal breaker......

Yet another relatively negative test: BlackBerry Storm review on Engadget! - Engadget Mobile

IMHO
    Last edited by Dawg357; 11-20-08 at 07:23 PM.
    11-20-08 07:21 PM
    I agree. I even pretended trying the keyboard without a full press down. I typed with just the blue glow appearing. I can say if RIM had this as a real option this device would kill every other touchscreen on the market.

11-20-08 07:21 PM
    I find all of these complaints quite strange. People claim the "clickable" touchscreen is hard to use and rather painful...

Yet, they don't complain about the keyboard on the bold or the curve. It's the same concept. You must physically push something down with force. Actually, it takes nearly the same amount of pressure to push the screen down vs the physical keyboard on the curve. I'm failing to see the issue here.
    Okay, the issue is that the Storm is all one button. You have to wait for the screen to come back up and reset itself before you can press down on another letter again. The Bold is different because you can press them much faster and right after each other. It will be much slower. Not sure how thats hard to see.
    11-20-08 07:24 PM
    I have heard lots of similar reports, and to me the real strength of a BlackBerry is the physical QWERTY keyboard - that's what made BlackBerry big in the first place, so it seems that this device is just a rushed reaction to the iPhone. It falls short in addressing the core reason the BlackBerry has been so successful in the past - - Typing short emails and text. This is a deal breaker......

Yet another relatively negative test: BlackBerry Storm review on Engadget! - Engadget Mobile

IMHO
    Then don't get it. Get the bold. and shush, no one cares if you dont like it.
    11-20-08 07:25 PM
    I have heard lots of similar reports, and to me the real strength of a BlackBerry is the physical QWERTY keyboard - that's what made BlackBerry big in the first place, so it seems that this device is just a knee-**** reaction to the iPhone. It falls short in addressing the core reason the BlackBerry has been so successful in the past - - Typing short emails and text. This is a deal breaker......

Yet another relatively negative test: ENGADGET REVIEW

IMHO
    That's no surprise as Engadget is biased towards Apple, nearly anyone in tech knows that.

It all comes down to personal preference. I got to use it, and I feel in love with the experience. I will be one of those crazy asses in line tomorrow morning and will not regret the purchase one bit. I have the iPod Touch which is basically the iPhone without the phone. It's a great device, it really is. However, the Storm will be the perfect iPhone supplement for those who can't/won't change carriers.
    11-20-08 07:26 PM

Dear lord it's not the same at all. I have a curve and I've tried a storm out for quite a bit of time. It's barely even the same idea D:
    11-20-08 07:30 PM
    Its far easier to type on the curve. No comparison. You don't have to push a large solid glass button in for every key. And as I said before, buttons not in the center of the screen require more force than butns in the middle. This makes for a very strange sensation.

11-20-08 07:36 PM
    I didn't experience that on the one I used today.

Edit: Don't know about the typing speed in comparison to the Curve... I've never used a Curve.
    11-20-08 07:41 PM
    Ok, I just got back from my local Verizon Store in DeKalb, IL and played with the storm for a while. Keep in mind I was all for porting my number from Sprint and getting this phone.

It's a great phone. Didn't have too many troubles with typing. What people say about the screen is correct....it's amazing. So clear and crisp. Overall, it was a pretty decent phone. The phone was a bit laggy, and I see what people mean (it was running .65).

However, after playing with it, I decided it's not worth the money I would have had to spend to a)cancel my contract with Sprint and b)purchase the phone. So I think I'm going to ride out the storm of people trying to get it tomorrow and wait until the upgrades are made and see how things work then. Maybe for being so good and not early adopting, I'll treat myself to a new bluetooth headset.
    11-20-08 07:43 PM
    i urge you guys who are going around bashing on peoples negative thoughts about the device to go read this

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/fin...-device-98460/

paying close attention to this

Another point I want to state is that If you a person who DOES NOT LIKE touchscreens for example if you picked up the iPHONE and cant stand the touch screen this is NOT a phone for you. If you have been itching to get your hands on a touch screen device but passed on things like the iPHONE because it wasn't business oriented or it wasn't on your provider. THIS MORE THEN LIKELY IS DEFINITELY the phone for you.
    11-20-08 07:45 PM
    I didn't experience that on the one I used today.

Edit: Don't know about the typing speed in comparison to the Curve... I've never used a Curve.
    I suppose it could be a problem with the one I used. But, I still don't like typing on it. Its very tiring to the fingers.

11-20-08 07:47 PM
    Another point I want to state is that If you a person who DOES NOT LIKE touchscreens for example if you picked up the iPHONE and cant stand the touch screen this is NOT a phone for you.
    That's part of the problem. Everyone thinks they "like" touchscreens because they look nice. A lot of people don't know the difference between that and the actual, functional differences of a touchscreen only phone.
    11-20-08 07:54 PM
    My thumbs are still bothering me about a few hours later

11-20-08 07:58 PM
    I actually don't mind typing on the screen, but I'm having difficulites with the letter "o" and "s". Is anybody else having an issue with them not working well is or is it my phone.
    12-02-08 04:09 PM
    you have the Curve which you have to press the buttons so how would the storm be worse on your thumbs? are you Shrek? geez, I'm so irritated with these storm wanna be people that for some reason can't get it. Rather its money, contract, ignornace, or just dont have a clue! playing with a phone for 1 whole hour and thinking they are a pro with it. get real people! I played with it for an hour as well and loved it and had a hard time with a couple things but that was ME not the phone! not RIM not Telus but little ole ME. look in the mirror people you will see the problem. ok with that said! have a great time with your curve!
    12-02-08 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD