I keep reading that so many of you would be mad is there is a new Storm in September. Why??? I'm sure everyone who bought a Storm is going to be able to pay the upgraded price and not full retail. People need to realize that no OS is going to make the Storm an amazing phone. I like my Storm but I miss actual keys and no OS is going to help with that. Also, how about the dust that builds up in the screen. I don't understand why an official OS hasn't been released but I'm not that excited for one anyways since I know it's only going to make the phone slightly better. You can't blame RIM for your choice in buying the Storm and keeping it, especially if you bought it this year. If you still think $200 (assuming that's the discounted price) is too much to pay for another phone then you can keep the Storm.
    04-06-09 11:42 PM
    I dont think Verizon is going to let us upgrade phones less than a year after we got the first Storm at a discounted price...minimum wait time would be one year.

I'm mad because to release an updated phone, what, 10 months later, would be admitting the first version sucked and they're giving up on it. I'm glad the new one might be there when I finally can get an upgrade, but thats not going to be until sometime mid-2010.

We all knew a Storm 2 would come out, but September really seems like too soon.
    04-06-09 11:59 PM
    I can understand that but look at what AT&T did with the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. We all know Verizon is trying to compete with AT&T and the iPhone with the Storm so it only makes since that they would give discounts. If they don't then they really F'ed up and I wouldn't blame anyone who gets mad.
    04-07-09 12:04 AM
    Following in the IPhone's steps.
    04-07-09 12:09 AM
    verizon should do what att did with the iphone 3g where people that had the original iphone were able to get the iphone 3g for the discounted price but had to renew their contracts
    04-07-09 12:14 AM
    Yea I hate to compare them but they make it hard not to (VZW).

But hey look at the bright side, this means company work harder to release new and better devices faster. If you don't think it's worth an upgrade this year then you can wait next year because you know there's going to be a new one then.
    04-07-09 12:15 AM
    I think you'll find that people in the Storm forum thrive on misery. lol
    04-07-09 12:59 AM
    well i posted in one of the other threads that VZW doesn't even have the phone for testing yet. i'm not sure how far in advance they get most other phones, and testing time varies depending on success/fail within the testing paramaters, etc. but i doubt that there will be a new one within this year. maybe 1st or 2nd Q 2010?
    04-07-09 01:03 AM
    well i posted in one of the other threads that VZW doesn't even have the phone for testing yet. i'm not sure how far in advance they get most other phones, and testing time varies depending on success/fail within the testing paramaters, etc. but i doubt that there will be a new one within this year. maybe 1st or 2nd Q 2010?
    Yea, I'm thinking earliest would beat the beginning of next year but I wouldn't mind seeing one come out earlier if it really is ready.
    04-07-09 01:09 AM
    All I gotta say is..If they jump ship on the 1st gen storm b/c they release the storm 2, them im going back to a physical keyboard with the niagara
    04-07-09 01:13 AM
    Following in the IPhone's steps.
    I wish, we would probably be on .146 right now, instead of .75

That is what I hate most of VZW
    04-07-09 01:14 AM
    I think you'll find that people in the Storm forum thrive on misery. lol
    Well put lol
    04-07-09 01:21 AM
    I wish, we would probably be on .146 right now, instead of .75

That is what I hate most of VZW
    If you're seriously on 75, why? There are much more updated OS's available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 02:50 AM
    some people have no choice for OS for BES servers, etc. they're device needs to be supported by VZW "offically" or they can't run their phone....if you're willing to put the issue of fixing your device in your own hands, leaks are alright. but it doesn't apply to everyone
    04-07-09 03:33 AM
    Why is everyone mad? It's not everyone...it's only the people who have been saying "Give RIM a break. The Storm has been out for only 5 months. It will get better with OS updates. Give it time." You see, a new Storm in September means the Storm is 50% through its first run cycle. Sure, people will continue to buy it and use it and RIM will continue to support it. But that 5 month grace period argument loses some of it's punch.
    04-07-09 04:54 AM
    I keep reading that so many of you would be mad is there is a new Storm in September. Why??? I'm sure everyone who bought a Storm is going to be able to pay the upgraded price and not full retail. People need to realize that no OS is going to make the Storm an amazing phone. I like my Storm but I miss actual keys and no OS is going to help with that. Also, how about the dust that builds up in the screen. I don't understand why an official OS hasn't been released but I'm not that excited for one anyways since I know it's only going to make the phone slightly better. You can't blame RIM for your choice in buying the Storm and keeping it, especially if you bought it this year. If you still think $200 (assuming that's the discounted price) is too much to pay for another phone then you can keep the Storm.
    The physical keyboard buttons are entirely too small I find it much easier to type on the storm (sure type) than any other blackberry.

04-07-09 07:59 AM
    Honestly, I hope a new storm or whatever they name it, is released by years end. I think everyone knows this Storm was a flop, but I see it's potential. The first round was not good, but I feel RIM won't make the same mistake twice.
    I was on line on Nov 21 getting a Storm, like many of you. However, if a new touch screen is introduced, I may wait to see the reactions here on CB before I buy another.
    I believe the hardware issues will be addressed (screen click, dust, loose buttons), but my concern is RIMS's inability to release a decent OS. They have yet to accomplish this, as we all know. Yes the leaks seem to be better in some ways, but worse in others. Proof of that is the fact that we have several variations of hybrids in an attempt to make a usable OS.
    So bottom lime here is this: why be upset that RIM is looking to make a better phone? When your 1 year or 20 months (NE2 = 20 months) you can get one and hopefully enjoy the updated technology.
    Last edited by pmas; 04-07-09 at 08:12 AM.
    04-07-09 08:10 AM
    Good link on the Storm II:
    RIM BlackBerry Storm 2 due in September, has WiFi | The Toybox | ZDNet.com
    04-07-09 08:18 AM
    I'm mad because to release an updated phone, what, 10 months later, would be admitting the first version sucked and they're giving up on it.
    Bingo! Somebody finally gets it.
    04-07-09 08:33 AM
    First off, I highly doubt there's anything to the claims of a new version of the Storm. Someone's probably confusing it with the Niagara release which is set to be somewhere between July and August IIRC. I don't know how far out the Pluto is, but that's the closest thing to a "Storm 2" that RIM has in the works that anyone knows about thus far.

Second... People are idiots plain and simple. That's why they get SO upset over a friggen CELL PHONE.

Third... As far as Verizon and RIM are concerned, despite a few morons who litter the Rants and Raves subforum, there's nothing wrong with the Storm. It's a strong seller in the middle of a worldwide economic recession (or major depression in some countries, like Iceland where the official currency is basically more valuable as bog paper). The things people tend to p!ss and moan about endlessly around here really are minor issues. They may be annoying, but that doesn't mean they aren't still minor issues.

Four... We've had people "in the know" saying quite definitively that the Storm will not be replaced on Verizon any time soon. Other carriers might make different decisions, but given Verizon is a subsidiary of Vodafone, odds are they're going to keep pretty well in line with one another, and the smaller carriers are going to follow suit because it's in their best financial interest to do so.
    04-07-09 08:49 AM
    All I gotta say is..If they jump ship on the 1st gen storm b/c they release the storm 2, them im going back to a physical keyboard with the niagara
    I have to say, I might do the same...the Niagra looks pretty awesome. The only thing is that I don't know if I could get used to a smaller screen now! I'll definitely be looking at what's available in October when my one year comes up ;-)
    04-07-09 08:56 AM
    Honestly, I hope a new storm or whatever they name it, is released by years end. I think everyone knows this Storm was a flop, but I see it's potential. The first round was not good, but I feel RIM won't make the same mistake twice.
    What are you smoking? The Storm is a runaway success for RIM. They've just been raking in the cash ever since the Storm launched.

In the last quarter, RIM sold somewhere around 7 million devices worldwide. The Storm has only been out for a little over a quarter, and Verizon alone has claimed to have sold over a million units. So, at a minimum, the Storm alone makes up for 1/7 of RIM's total device sales for the last quarter. It's probably closer to 1/3 when you factor in sales from all other carriers worldwide. Initial demand was so strong it caught RIM completely off guard, and they had to scramble to try and make more.

That is what you call a resounding success... Maybe even "beyond wildest dreams" success. Especially when you take into account the GLOBAL recession going on that really hit hard about the same time the Storm came out. I don't know how you could possibly call that anything but a complete runaway success.

Whether or not a device is a success has more to do with your personal perception of it. There's a big ol' world out there, and believe it or not, it DOESN'T revolve around you!
    04-07-09 08:57 AM
    Second... People are idiots plain and simple. That's why they get SO upset over a friggen CELL PHONE.
    In reality, it's not JUST a cell phone. We pay so much money for these phones because they can do more than just make a phone call. These cell phones become lifelines, they're how we communicate through e-mail, how we go online. If I wasn't at work on a computer every day, I'd probably surf the web more on my cell phone than a computer. My cell phone is NOT just a cell phone, it's a personal assistant and communication center. I expect a lot from my cell phone because I pay a lot for it to have the capabilities it has.
    04-07-09 09:01 AM
    i would expect RIM to release the Storm2 before xmas

04-07-09 09:04 AM
    Honestly, I hope a new storm or whatever they name it, is released by years end. I think everyone knows this Storm was a flop........
    A flop? VZW alone has sold over a million units. Selling a million of anything is, by any normal assessment an outrageous success. It wasn't until relatively recently that they were even able to keep up with the demand. I honestly think that many of the people in this forum are living on a different planet than everyone else - respectfully, a little critical thinking is in order here.
    04-07-09 09:05 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD