Mo one forced you or any of us to buy anything. By something else if your upset with it. I pull my battery 1 every 2 weeks if that often, a little more than that for OS reload/resets. Only time I get the 552 error is when I balls up a hybrid installation and leave cod files from the original OS in the folder. I continue to purchase these devices because I like them. They do what I want and if I want something else I will buy it.
    05-31-10 03:50 PM
    you cant just switch sound profiles around like a BB at all.

you have vibrate and silent of but that is it, also they are not customizable like on a BB
    Another thing to note is the sounds available.

I had different noises on my BB for different email accounts, SMS, phone calls, gtalk, bbm, yahoo, etc - this way I'd be able to tell if I felt like looking at the phone at any particular time based on what I heard.

This is HARD on the incredible. The sounds are all too similar.
    05-31-10 10:44 PM
    If there are sooo many complaining about bb -
    (and i agree, esp after the "reload 552" issue) . . . why doesnt anyone do anything about it? it just seems to me that peeps are "satisified" with doing a "battery pull" and "reloading" os several times! i think "not" - so, why do people continue to purchase these crappy phones (take a look at the "plastic" 8520, hah!) with the crappy os . . . and not nearly enough memory, etc etc etc
    ? ? ? ? ?
    I don't get it?
    My 8520 is as "plastic" as your 8320. I have a 8310 so I know it is.
    Being lighter does not mean lower quality.

Not satisfied? Buy another phone! You're not going to **** or something if you do...
    05-31-10 11:00 PM
    Heavy does NOT mean quality.

A perfect example, while we're in its forum.. THE STORM 9530.
    05-31-10 11:02 PM
    Another thing to note is the sounds available.

I had different noises on my BB for different email accounts, SMS, phone calls, gtalk, bbm, yahoo, etc - this way I'd be able to tell if I felt like looking at the phone at any particular time based on what I heard.

This is HARD on the incredible. The sounds are all too similar.
    i miss the profiles, but now that i think hard about it, i only used two or three:

loud, vibrate, silence all...which are the options my android phone offers.

as far as the sounds, i use custom ringers/notifications for everything anyway, so it's a non-issue for me. however, having to fish through every app and go into settings to set them is tedious, but you only have to do it once, and maybe again if you get an update. with 2.2 they will be saving app user info so it'll be a non-issue, it'll restore your phone to essentially right how it was before the update.
    06-01-10 02:48 PM
    I can set all of those things as well on my Incredible so I don't think it is an HTC thing.
    the incredible is a HTC device, FYI.
    06-01-10 02:51 PM
    the incredible is a HTC device, FYI.
    He meant the opposite of what you think; since he has an HTC device and can confirm that it's not something that happens there... The original question was can you do blanket and individual notification customization, or something like that.
    06-02-10 08:14 AM
    Software maybe RIMs eventual downfall. Apple, HP (Palm) and even Google for that matter both have teams of software engineers that are experienced with working with different COMPUTER OS. I'm not sure what RIM has....

But as these smartphones continue to morph into true portable computers, will RIM be able to keep-up? At this point they really seem to be falling behind...
    Not only that, but they only supply us with phones that can last one generation. I understand the relation between their RAM and security, but 256MB on the new curve? It is a joke! They have 512MB models, so why can't they supply us with 512MB BB curves?

I have noticed a large problem recently - Multitasking. Yes; Blackberries can multitask with a nice interface and all, but background applications are still consuming large amounts of battery life. Today, I watched as my phone dropped 60% battery over an hour with Opera Mini 5 and the youtube application (I pressed close on the youtube application, and I was unaware that it was still running until I pulled up my multi task interface.) These phones poorly multitask - yes, you can run multiple applications w/o lag (as expected,) but when it comes to battery, RIM has not even addressed the issue.

If there are sooo many complaining about bb -
    (and i agree, esp after the "reload 552" issue) . . . why doesnt anyone do anything about it? it just seems to me that peeps are "satisified" with doing a "battery pull" and "reloading" os several times! i think "not" - so, why do people continue to purchase these crappy phones (take a look at the "plastic" 8520, hah!) with the crappy os . . . and not nearly enough memory, etc etc etc
    ? ? ? ? ?
    I don't get it?
    What can we 'do about it'? We are consumers, and all that we can really do is choose not to buy these products.

Mo one forced you or any of us to buy anything. By something else if your upset with it. I pull my battery 1 every 2 weeks if that often, a little more than that for OS reload/resets. Only time I get the 552 error is when I balls up a hybrid installation and leave cod files from the original OS in the folder. I continue to purchase these devices because I like them. They do what I want and if I want something else I will buy it.
    Yes, but should we really keep buying these products? With the Storm 9500 and 9530, how long did we wait for a decent operating system? We should have had a decent operating system at the start! They made us believe that they were going to implement new features into these devices, but eventually fell back on these advertisements since the planning of these products were quite poor. Are we going to receive OpenGL? No. Are we going to receive OS 6.0 (which is really 5.2...) - NO!
    People are going to argue that blackberries generally follow the pattern of moving up one operating system cycle, like jumping from 4.7 to 5.0. I feel that the phone was not ready with 4.7 - It should have been released with 5.0. If the phone was released with 5.0, then like the Storm 2, it should have made the jump to OS6.
    Yes, this all critical of RIM's planing... I am merely stating that if these devices were released with 5.0, these devices would most likely also have been released with a greater amount of RAM.
    ---------------------------------

The bottom line is that without a decent browser, fluid operating system, better multitasking, better call quality, more RAM, and a high quality UI - RIM is not going anywhere but down. They have amazing email and security services, but really now - we are paying $30 per month for a device with features that we cannot really use. This makes blackberries moreso of a second hand device, and as other phone manufacturers pursue a more business orientated market by improving their security and email settings, what else does RIM have left (other than BBM, but I strongly doubt people would buy a blackberry just for BBM...)? Their phones have large hardware and software problems, and they do not improve, they will soon phase out of the market due to their competition.
    06-02-10 06:39 PM
    Idk...I'm not entirely displeased with my storm. But I do feel like I've had to put a decent amount of work into it to get it where it is today, new hybrids make it better each time. But it overall is satisfactory, it multitasks, I've got a few things running right now and its keeping up. But I do think that there is room for improvements. Just look at what RIM came from, a nearly 100% business clientele, and are now spreading to a more "general public" population. Businesses didn't need multitasking, or fancy UI, or a lot of RAM, they needed great push email and something fairly easy to use, and that's what we have still today. Yes, there is MUCH room for improvement, I hate having to monitor my memory like I do, but its the price I pay for having all the as I have. At least we have options, if I don't like BlackBerry, I can get a droid or iphone or whatever.
    I feel like a lot of people take for granted the fact that they even have a smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 08:21 PM
    Idk...I'm not entirely displeased with my storm. But I do feel like I've had to put a decent amount of work into it to get it where it is today, new hybrids make it better each time. But it overall is satisfactory, it multitasks, I've got a few things running right now and its keeping up. But I do think that there is room for improvements. Just look at what RIM came from, a nearly 100% business clientele, and are now spreading to a more "general public" population. Businesses didn't need multitasking, or fancy UI, or a lot of RAM, they needed great push email and something fairly easy to use, and that's what we have still today. Yes, there is MUCH room for improvement, I hate having to monitor my memory like I do, but its the price I pay for having all the as I have. At least we have options, if I don't like BlackBerry, I can get a droid or iphone or whatever.
    I feel like a lot of people take for granted the fact that they even have a smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Businesses need phones that:
    - Rarely crash/freeze up
    - Do not need sites like Crackberry to make their phone work properly
    - Fast browser (so I disagree with your statement "Businesses didn't need... a lot of RAM")
    - Good quality UI (I disagree with you again on this. I have had to teach several people functions of a blackberry and only a blackberry. People need to know how to use their device in order to optimize their ability to work.)

By doing so, they just happen to appeal to the general public through offering better quality smartphones. The general public wants smartphones that can browse the internet, manage their email, just a multipurpose device.

Although you bash the Droid and iPhone, those two phones have quality browsers, and guess what? Blackberries have an unbearable browser - It is incredibly slow, even with the current generation. I am ashamed whenever someone requests me to google something, such as to find an address, since the browser is just plain awful. Do you feel that the speed of these browsers does not to businesses?
    06-02-10 09:50 PM
    Businesses need phones that:
    - Rarely crash/freeze up
    - Do not need sites like Crackberry to make their phone work properly
    - Fast browser (so I disagree with your statement "Businesses didn't need... a lot of RAM")
    - Good quality UI (I disagree with you again on this. I have had to teach several people functions of a blackberry and only a blackberry. People need to know how to use their device in order to optimize their ability to work.)

By doing so, they just happen to appeal to the general public through offering better quality smartphones. The general public wants smartphones that can browse the internet, manage their email, just a multipurpose device.

Although you bash the Droid and iPhone, those two phones have quality browsers, and guess what? Blackberries have an unbearable browser - It is incredibly slow, even with the current generation. I am ashamed whenever someone requests me to google something, such as to find an address, since the browser is just plain awful. Do you feel that the speed of these browsers does not to businesses?
    first of, im not getting into a b*tch-fight on CrackBerry...
    i never said anything to "bash" Droid or iPhone...i think they're great devices. i dont think that the blackberry has such an unbearable browser, it works, doesn't it? why does someone NEED the ability to search something and have it there instantly? is someones day SO busy that they can't spare 30 seconds to do a search...basically all i was saying was, if people are so "fed-up" with blackberry, then just get something else, its not like there arent other options. im just sick of hearing people complain, nothing is perfect, there are even bugs with Droids and iPhones.
    06-02-10 10:01 PM
    i never said anything to "bash" Droid or iPhone...i think they're great devices. i dont think that the blackberry has such an unbearable browser, it works, doesn't it? why does someone NEED the ability to search something and have it there instantly? is someones day SO busy that they can't spare 30 seconds to do a search...basically all i was saying was, if people are so "fed-up" with blackberry, then just get something else, its not like there arent other options. im just sick of hearing people complain, nothing is perfect, there are even bugs with Droids and iPhones.
    This is a pathetic train of thought. We'd all be stuck with 14.4k modems and tube computers if the world thought like you.

Let me tell you getting things done on that browser took A LOT LONGER THAN 30 SECONDS.
    06-03-10 06:58 PM
    i dont think that the blackberry has such an unbearable browser, it works, doesn't it? why does someone NEED the ability to search something and have it there instantly?
    Yes, I completely agree. Meanwhile, let's switch to these computers.

It has a text processor, I am pretty sure with some inspiration we can hook it up to the internet and a printer; If not, we can always use someone else's computer. Nobody need a large separate display, LCD screen, mouse, fast processor, or a 'decent' amount of RAM

is someones day SO busy that they can't spare 30 seconds to do a search...
    I see your point :P Maybe we should all just switch to 56K connections, since speed really does not matter in the modern world.
    - 'Can you go to this mobile website to find the contact address of...?'
    - 'Yeah, it will take me two minutes or so to load it up though... Soo, how's 56K working out?'

basically all i was saying was, if people are so "fed-up" with blackberry, then just get something else, its not like there arent other options. im just sick of hearing people complain, nothing is perfect, there are even bugs with Droids and iPhones.
    This is the rants forum :P If you are sick of hearing people complain, why are you even here? With Droids and iPhones, at least those phones receive a decent amount of memory, run smoothly, have great browsers, I do not know... just all of the things that you SHOULD expect in a 'smartphone'?
    06-04-10 07:12 AM
    I hope you expected some backlash from this one. If you want a bulletproof retort you should have gone with "if you can't figure out how to find something with your phone in 30 seconds or less you should probably just ask someone on the street."

I have no problem finding things with my blisteringly slow Storm 1, 30 seconds is enough time for me to get Google maps up, find a business, and plot directions. Or, open opera mini and get a Google search done and load something from the results. I can even do this one handed while walking my dogs or pedaling my bike (something almost impossible to do without a click screen or full qwerty.)

I tried an android phone in the Verizon store, sitting next to my storm, and it really wasn't so much faster as to make me feel like I was wasting my time. The screen responsiveness was markedly faster, but I generally find what I need pretty quick without a ton of scrolling so this didn't slow me down. If knocking 6 seconds off the Google search is worth buying a new phone, I say go for it, they can get android nice and debugged for the rest of us who will buy the same phone for half price in a few months.
    06-05-10 07:13 PM
    It's not about knocking six seconds off a google search. It's about knocking six seconds off of everything.

I don't google search and use the first result. I browse, I look around, I research. Six seconds multiplied by 90 times during one task really adds up.
    06-06-10 01:02 AM
    It's not about knocking six seconds off a google search. It's about knocking six seconds off of everything.

I don't google search and use the first result. I browse, I look around, I research. Six seconds multiplied by 90 times during one task really adds up.
    90 pages? LOL. What kind of "googling" are you doing?
    06-07-10 08:27 AM
    90 pages? LOL. What kind of "googling" are you doing?
    Not just googling.

Doing anything took extra time.

Sometimes the storm was instantaneous, sometimes it would take 5-6 seconds to respond. I can't work like that. I need **** instantly on a consistent day to day basis, and for it to work under a heavy workload. When I press my finger to your screen, you'd best respond everytime or back to Verizon you go.
    06-07-10 11:37 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD