I don't get what the big deal is in having WIFI. If your home you have your computer. I don't use my phone to go online. The only time I use the internet on my phone is when I can't get to my comp. How many places have WIFI connection anyway? So to me it doesn't matter either or I would never use it anyways.
    04-10-09 01:27 PM
    Wifi gets you data for free

non wifi means you pay for it
    04-10-09 01:34 PM
    Wifi is quicker. This the only reason I'd like it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-09 01:37 PM
    Additionally, Wifi connections are a lot faster than the data speeds one can get indoors. I've found that my phone switches to 1X when I'm in my bedroom.
    04-10-09 01:37 PM
    That and the service isn't always the greatest out here in Western Mass. It would be nice to go online with wifi.
    04-10-09 01:38 PM

isnt your blackberry useless without a data plan anyway? so you would have to pay for the data regardless otherwise ur blackberry would be less useful than other PDA phones..

wifi would be nice cuz its faster...but i think the evdo rev A connection is good enough

I have WiFi on my HTC Touch Pro (my other phone) and i never use it cuz the Evdo rev A is fast enough..

but yea i guess if you don't get good signal in your area then WiFi would be pretty useful..
    04-10-09 01:38 PM
    Most major metro areas have tons of free wifi hotspots but not always the best cell coverage. If you don't live in one of the above then it obviously would be of no use to you.
    04-10-09 01:39 PM

Ok... however... a person is not always in a place that has Wi-Fi, so one would be paying the monthly fee for the data plan anyway (which is unlimited)... so back to the OP's question.

From what I've heard, there are some apps that only use the Wi-Fi capabilities of a phone... that would be one reason for wanting Wi-Fi. I will tell you that I had Wi-Fi on my Treo and never used it... not once. For me, Wi-Fi isn't that big a deal. The phone is plenty fast on the network.
    04-10-09 01:39 PM
    Wi-fi is quicker and useful if you're in an area where you're in an area where your phone doesn't get a good signal. It's not necessary, but useful, especially on a blackberry phone
    04-10-09 01:41 PM
    I agree with the OP. First of all, public WiFi is NOT SAFE. Ask your IT security guy in your company and he can fill you in on how vulnerable public WiFi is. As a matter of fact, our company discourages employees to use public WiFi. That's why all company laptops come with a Verizon Wireless aircard.

When I am at home or in the office where "secured" WiFi are available, I would rather use my laptops. When we attend meetings in the office, everybody brings their laptops. You won't look very good in front of the executives if you are trying to use your mobile phones in meetings.

Therefore, this WiFi thing is really a moot point in my humble opinion.

04-10-09 01:46 PM
    because the basement of many buildings have wifi but no cell signal
    04-10-09 02:07 PM
    I concur/ always wanna why ppl are being babies with lack of wifi on a phone w/ unlimited data.: :> agree with Thomas184 <:
    04-10-09 02:10 PM
    because the basement of many buildings have wifi but no cell signal
    I know it's not what you meant, but this made me chuckle. I got the mental picture of people hanging out in building basements (boiler rooms, maintenance rooms, etc.), playing with their BBs. Ha ha ha ha! Weird.
    04-10-09 02:11 PM
    I agree with the OP. First of all, public WiFi is NOT SAFE. Ask your IT security guy in your company and he can fill you in on how vulnerable public WiFi is. As a matter of fact, our company discourages employees to use public WiFi. That's why all company laptops come with a Verizon Wireless aircard.

When I am at home or in the office where "secured" WiFi are available, I would rather use my laptops. When we attend meetings in the office, everybody brings their laptops. You won't look very good in front of the executives if you are trying to use your mobile phones in meetings.

Therefore, this WiFi thing is really a moot point in my humble opinion.

Good point! I see though that you posted this from your phone.... I hope you were not in a meeting at the time...lol
    04-10-09 02:15 PM
    I think it depends on what you do with your phone. Of course we all know WiFi is a lot faster but we can do without it. But there are instances where it's just good to have wifi. For instance, my friend regularly has people over his house in his nice basement to play pool, watch sports etc... VZW or AT&T don't get 3G signals down there, but he has WiFi in his house. So if you're over there for a few hours, and can't resist using the Internet connection on the phone then you'd be happy you can use WiFi. Even sitting in my own house on my iPhone I can download games and songs much fasters and on my Bold browse the Internet much faster. Even at work my signal is in and out of 3G all day, but my employer has a guest WiFi connection and I can use that to stay connected at fast speeds all day. Again, not needed but something very good to have.

It's amazing of how many people don't have something but most other devices come with it but you love your device so much, you name everyone a baby who wants what they are missing. But you on the other hand if your device has something that other devices don't have, you brag all day and night about. My freakin XV6700 from 2years ago had WiFi lol.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 04-10-09 at 02:23 PM.
    04-10-09 02:20 PM
    Simply put: WiFi is over twice as fast as EVDO or 3g downloading. Most people that own a smartphone/data plan are able to use a WiFi router (secure or nonsecure either one) at home or at work where they use their smartphone much of the time. So who really wouldn't rather use it? As for the beaten-to-death security issue, that's mainly for the geeks to argue about not the regular folks. Most smartphone users aren't exactly dealing with security issues on their phones, they're just doing Facebook, weatherbug, sports, messing around. And anyone who's got enough time to try hacking into a Blackberry looking for gold that's on nonsecure WiFi needs to get a freaking job.
    04-10-09 02:24 PM
    I don't get what the big deal is in having WIFI. If your home you have your computer. I don't use my phone to go online. The only time I use the internet on my phone is when I can't get to my comp. How many places have WIFI connection anyway? So to me it doesn't matter either or I would never use it anyways.
    (1) Some of us go places other than home and the office. Business travel, vacation, etc. A good, consistent data signal is not always available at airports, hotels, etc. Wif is a nice alternative.

(2) As other have said, speed.

(3) VZW should welcome redirecting traffice to wifi...could reduce the load to some degree on their network.
    04-10-09 02:31 PM
    From my thread in the rants section...

Because it's the only way that you can talk on the phone and have a data connection. I agree with most everybody that having Wifi is useless on a cell phone that has 3G. However unlike ATT/Cingular's 3G, VZW's network doesn't allow voice and data to go on simultanously. For this reason and this reason alone VZW should put wifi in their phones. It makes more sense for a VZW phone to have wifi than it does an ATT phone. It's aggravating that if I'm tethered to a laptop and a call comes in I can't continue what I'm doing. Or I can't talk on my bluetooth and look something up on the internet. This is the reason why wifi would come in handy on a phone like this.

BB's are supposed to be the #1 multitasking phone in the business, and yet a simple task like talking and using a data connection is crippled because VZW's network can't do it and they are too arrogant to put in wifi to correct their networks defiecency.
    04-10-09 02:33 PM
    Data security is nice, but I never do anything that requires security on my BB as is. My cookies are saved, thus eliminating the need for passwords, and if someone wants to read the crap I read on the Beta OS forums, then more power to them :-P

But yes, the added speeds, bandwidth and accessibility of wifi would make this a true always on phone.
    04-10-09 02:35 PM
    First check out: Sling Media - Blackberry

Just my observation, but all those devices have one thing in common "wifi". Not that it's the only reason to have wi-fi as there are others, but it's one of the reasons why i haven't gotten official sling media for my 9530.

If you’ve put a high-speed network in your home/office, why shouldn’t you be able to add your device to it? Why send all your data through Verizon or whoever when you have your own?

No matter how fast your 3G connection is, a good Wi-Fi implementation will beat it. Probably handily, and in many cases by a wide margin. Why should your device not be allowed to take advantage of this speed? And this applies not only when you’re at home, but also at the many Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the world.

Perhaps most important than anything above are the kinds of applications your device can support when it becomes part of your local network.
    04-10-09 02:47 PM
    Internal network access.
    I can't access my internal network at the office or at home.
    No VPN client and no WiFi.

Sucks. But I still like my Storm.
    04-10-09 03:05 PM
    the service at my house blows. my storms basically useless when it comes to data here.
    04-10-09 03:07 PM
    I know it's not what you meant, but this made me chuckle. I got the mental picture of people hanging out in building basements (boiler rooms, maintenance rooms, etc.), playing with their BBs. Ha ha ha ha! Weird.

LOL. Well to give you a better picture think about basements of buildings on campus at school where there are sophisticated CMOS fabrication machines and the need to be connected in LAB without having to carry your laptop everywhere!
    04-10-09 03:50 PM
    Being able to use the internet while talking on the phone is a big plus for me.
    04-10-09 04:18 PM
    Some pro's of wi-fi are:

- free - so things like VOIP, and even using your phone as a webcam which I was able to do on my n95 is something that only wi-fi speeds would allow
    - good alternative: generally fast, good option if you don't have good connection
    - consistent high speed: since it tends to be faster you can do things like play games online with friends through your phone. awesome...
    - allows more features: be able to use more data intensive things like watching high quality videos like sling or that mobile TV that they are trying to bring but won't come to the Storm since it doesn't have wi-fi. And also, my friend's iphone's youtube videos are similar quality to our mobile apps till he gets in a wi-fi area and then it becomes high definition.

Ideally: Bring me 4g, and wi-fi and the 5 mp camera, and we'll see about the better touch screen and the gold code O.S. and the Storm 2 is something I will have to get for sure....can you imagine the Storm 3? What!!! Lol.
    04-10-09 04:18 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD