11-22-08 08:53 PM
42 12
tools
    Let me guess, you wanted one but didn't get it right?
    11-22-08 12:07 AM
    I love electronics especially phones. When there is a buzz about a big one we all are interested in it. CURIOUS... it's the buzz in the media. I personally love learning new phones. I'm not worried I know there will always be another new one in a few months.
    11-22-08 12:30 AM
    I will at least head down to the store this weekend to play with one. I'm just saying if I'm reading on here that many people end up all having the same or similar issues then I might rethink what I'm going to do.
    At least you are trying it yourself and not relying solely on reviews.

Just like with the iPhone there is going to be some learning curve from what you have trained yourself with past phones. Maybe a little more of a learning curve on the Storm so I would suggest playing with it for more than 15 minutes. Those with the Storms on day two are now reporting they are liking it when just yesterday they were ready to return it - this is why you can't feed into other people's impression.

The only bad part about the way you are doing it is you won't get a real feel for things through a 20 minute store test. And if you decide to buy one now you will be waiting until mid-December or later to get one. I still say you should have used all those discounts to go for a real 45 day test drive and return it if you don't like it. It's the only way to truly get a feel for devices like the iPhone and Storm.
    11-22-08 11:22 AM
    Early adopters are a breed upon themselves.

Yesterday's launch had many who usually are not and are clueless when it comes to the bugs associated with adopting new technologies. Those who understand aren't complaining.
    11-22-08 11:31 AM
    Yeah I feel the same way.

But its all about the attention

"Look at me! I just got a storm! Look at me!"

Having the very first of anything is what those people crave. Even if it doesn't work correctly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This is almost exactly what I was going to say! I was the only person at work (250-300 people) that had one yesterday. There were at least 25 VERY jealous people that I know want one and I just got to stand there and smile as big as I could!!!
    11-22-08 11:31 AM
    As the day progressed, and reading some of the first reviews of the Storm today, I think that I may opt to keep my curve afterall. I think that it is insane that anyone would buy a phone without even being able to play with a demo one in the store.
    Once all the bugs are worked out and BB comes out with a new OS, will VZW update the OS for anyone who purchased a Storm today with a buggy OS ?
    There wasn't anything keeping people from playing with the demos. Most stores had them out Thursday afternoon.

I doubt VZW will update the OS for us. I wouldn't want them F'ing with my phone anyway. I like my rep at my store and have worked with him a lot but I knew more about the Storm than he did. It will probably not be available OTA either. Most likely have to hook it up to the computer to do it
    11-22-08 11:35 AM
    People see me with something cool and new and just assume that I have a bigger johnson. Can I help that?!?

Seriously, I like cool new toys and admit it, and showing people is fun.
    11-22-08 11:36 AM
    I can't say I understand. But a lot of folks would not understand why I would stand in freezing weather for hockey playoff tickets either. :>)

11-22-08 11:39 AM
    you should tell this to the iphone fanboys....
    11-22-08 11:41 AM
    There wasn't anything keeping people from playing with the demos. Most stores had them out Thursday afternoon.

I doubt VZW will update the OS for us. I wouldn't want them F'ing with my phone anyway. I like my rep at my store and have worked with him a lot but I knew more about the Storm than he did. It will probably not be available OTA either. Most likely have to hook it up to the computer to do it
    To say there will be no OS update is ridiculous. Even old dumbphones like the v60 had updates.

Have you ever owned a smart phone or a Blackberry? There are updates all the time. The Storm will be no different. Whether OTA will work as planned is a whole other discussion but we will know once they try it the first time.

Just like a Treo, Blackberry, iPhone and many others, there will be updates to the OS. You will get to choose if you want the update even if its OTA*.

*OTA is a delivery method, not an installation method. It doesn't mean you are forced to take the update, just that it will be offered it without hooking up to your computer.
    11-22-08 11:47 AM
    If the Storm is a great phone then congrats on the new purchase. I truly hope it is, as we will soon learn by the enourmous amount of feedback we are and will be reading here on Crackberry.com

If the Storm isn't all that is hyped to be then y'all may have been better off spending the night in line for a Jonas Brothers autograph session

Am I jeolous?... I would never admit to either :-|

11-22-08 11:48 AM
    There were at least 25 VERY jealous people that I know want one and I just got to stand there and smile as big as I could!!!
    "In ancient Rome generals and emperors who had won a great victory over one of Rome's enemies received on their return a triumphal
    procession through the city's streets. In the procession were slaves and captives, carts loaded with plunder, ranks of marching soldiers and jaunty cavalry... Always in this triumph a slave stood in the chariot behind the victorious general. Over the general's head he held a garland of laurel, signifying victory. Into the general's ear the slave repeatedly whispered a caveat: 'All glory is fleeting. All glory is fleeting."

Glad to see you enjoyed your 15 seconds of fame. Monday just might be a bit different.

HH
    11-22-08 11:49 AM
    To say there will be no OS update is ridiculous. Even old dumbphones like the v60 had updates.

Have you ever owned a smart phone or a Blackberry? There are updates all the time. The Storm will be no different. Whether OTA will work as planned is a whole other discussion but we will know once they try it the first time.

Just like a Treo, Blackberry, iPhone and many others, there will be updates to the OS. You will get to choose if you want the update even if its OTA*.

*OTA is a delivery method, not an installation method. It doesn't mean you are forced to take the update, just that it will be offered it without hooking up to your computer.
    did not realize that about OTA, thanks.

I wasn't saying that there won't be an update I just meant I doubt you can take it in the store and have it done. I've never done it like that so I don't know if it can be done. Yes, I have owned 3 other Blackberrys. I always just update from my pc.
    11-22-08 11:58 AM
    did not realize that about OTA, thanks.

I wasn't saying that there won't be an update I just meant I doubt you can take it in the store and have it done. I've never done it like that so I don't know if it can be done. Yes, I have owned 3 other Blackberrys. I always just update from my pc.
    If OTA works as planned none of this will matter. Even if OTA is working you will be able to upgrade via the PC. And you can take a phone into the store for an upgrade. At least that has been an option for all phones I have owned up until now. I expect an update from Verizon & RIM sooner than later for the Storm. Much like the iPhone there are bugs at release that will be worked out in an early update. Even my Curve had an update shortly after I purchased.
    11-22-08 12:08 PM
    Let me guess, you wanted one but didn't get it right?
    Why would you assume this? I clearly stated I have no desire to be the first in line to buy a brand new untested product. The same reason I would not buy the first-year remake of a car changing platforms.

Please re-read my post, and don't just assume because I'm asking a question, I missed out. I have no problems waiting.
    11-22-08 01:18 PM
    At my Verizon store I have to say that the majority of people there getting the Storm were not the typical "early adopter" techno geek. I am. But the vast majority of people had RAZRs and other feature phones, or were older corporate types with 8700s or 8830s. A few had a Curve or Pearl, but the majority of people there were definitely not the typical early adopters fanboys.

I like being an early adopter on certain things. I have techno lust. It's a condition that makes my bank and accountant look at me funny. But it's fun getting your hands on the new technology and judging it for yourself. It's nice being "the guy" that people go to for tech advice. I know who I am and I like being "that guy"
    11-22-08 01:41 PM
    I got in to my local Verizon store today on the way back from Home Depot to check it out. I really couldn't figure out how to do much with it, I've never used a BlackBerry device before to any extent. I did get to create a new text message and try out the typing on it. I didn't feel like the click-screen slowed me down at all, but, then again I'm not a super-fast texter either.

I think if you're just a normal person, the click-screen deal won't slow you down at all or be an issue. JMO.

Then nature was pounding on the door and I had to go, so I couldn't play with it anymore. ;(
    11-22-08 08:53 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD