Just a question...

Hasn't history of electronics devices, and their releases, proven to us time and time again that with any new hyped product, there are going to be problems and issues with them that usually are not discovered with the in-company or beta testing? Whether it's physical (buttons), or software(OS), buggy etc; it always seems it is something. I think of these first releases as "guinea pigs", where I'm sure all the common major complaints will be noticed by Blackberry/Verizon, and corrected/upgraded/fixed as the batches of phones are made. I would rather just wait a little while and let all the bugs and problems get worked out, so I don't have a brand new phone with problems.

Does anyone else feel this way?
    11-21-08 08:16 PM
    Yeah I feel the same way.

But its all about the attention

"Look at me! I just got a storm! Look at me!"

Having the very first of anything is what those people crave. Even if it doesn't work correctly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 08:21 PM
    Actually you can also think about it in this manner, without the early adopters like us, companies would be slower to update their software because it cost money to update & a lack of interest in a piece of hardware means less $$$ for that sort of thing. The greater the interest the quicker the updates will be developed & rolled out.
    11-21-08 08:23 PM
    Oh yeah & PLUS many of us actually ENJOY being guinea pigs & testing products out. Its fun to go through & try & "break" an OS or come up with ways to improve functionality & workflow.
    11-21-08 08:24 PM
    Status. The feeling of saying "I was one of the first". Having everyone stop you and ask you what phone you have. Those are just a few of the reasons why. It's human nature.
    11-21-08 08:25 PM
    i just like having cool new stuff. Plus i have faith that RIM will get an OS out to fix the issues people are currently having.
    11-21-08 08:26 PM
    Oh yeah & PLUS many of us actually ENJOY being guinea pigs & testing products out. Its fun to go through & try & "break" an OS or come up with ways to improve functionality & workflow.
    I guess I used to be like that too, I spent a lot of money on that LG VX-9800 when it came out ("The V"). I guess now, I feel that I don't want to waste $200 on something that will most likely have issues and will have a better version released shortly. Again I'm not attacking anyone who bought them, or even saying that a new version will come out. It just seems that's the way it goes for new things like this.

You make valid points.
    11-21-08 08:30 PM
    Just a question...

Hasn't history of electronics devices, and their releases, proven to us time and time again that with any new hyped product, there are going to be problems and issues with them that usually are not discovered with the in-company or beta testing? Whether it's physical (buttons), or software(OS), buggy etc; it always seems it is something. I think of these first releases as "guinea pigs", where I'm sure all the common major complaints will be noticed by Blackberry/Verizon, and corrected/upgraded/fixed as the batches of phones are made. I would rather just wait a little while and let all the bugs and problems get worked out, so I don't have a brand new phone with problems.

Actually you can also think about it in this manner, without the early adopters like us, companies would be slower to update their software because it cost money to update & a lack of interest in a piece of hardware means less $$$ for that sort of thing. The greater the interest the quicker the updates will be developed & rolled out.
    Both are good points! That is why we are all different
    11-21-08 08:32 PM
    Sounds to me like someone is a little upset they were number 35 and the store only had 34!!

I kid of course. Personally I wanted to be among the first to have it. I love being on the cutting edge of technology espessially when it comes from a company I really like. Of course since it's a BB I felt safe knowing that I can reflash the entire phone to a more current OS should the need arise later. If that wasn't an option I would be waiting until everything was worked out.
    11-21-08 08:37 PM
    Also how about the fact that if it was not for us early adopters there would be no second rev for you to have to wait for. If there is no interest in something then they are not going to make a second version of it..... I.E. the Storm 2
    11-21-08 09:00 PM
    Sounds to me like someone is a little upset they were number 35 and the store only had 34!!

Nah, if I tried to tell my work I would be in late because I needed to wait in line at 5am to have a chance a new cell phone, I'd probably be looking for a new job. LOL
    11-21-08 09:08 PM
    Also how about the fact that if it was not for us early adopters there would be no second rev for you to have to wait for. If there is no interest in something then they are not going to make a second version of it..... I.E. the Storm 2
    VERY VERY true. Profits mean added funds for R&D for new products!!!
    11-21-08 09:09 PM
    Some people like to have the latest and greatest. They are the early adopters. You can pick an early adopter out in line becuase they are sporting the last great phone (iPhone, Curve, Bold).

Others are just in need of a phone. They found out about one they think they will like so they waited a little longer until it came out. If they didn't line up to get it they would be stuck waiting for several more weeks to replace their old junk (12/5 or longer). These are the I-should-have-replaced-my-phone-three-months-ago-and-I-can't-wait-any-longer buyers. You can spot these people by their phone being held together by duct tape or carrying a really old phone stores stopped selling years ago.
    Last edited by verizontroll; 11-21-08 at 09:17 PM.
    11-21-08 09:15 PM
    I'm kind of in that group...I got my "new in 2" credits a couple months ago, and my wife gave me a $150 gift card to Verizon to get a new phone, so I'm basically not paying anything for the phone. I had been hearing about this phone for some time, so I figured I would wait until it came out to see if it was worth getting or not. I've waited a month already, a little more time to get all the reviews out isn't going to kill me.
    11-21-08 09:17 PM
    The Storm is actually the first product that I had to have the very day of the release. For me it was the gift of a lifetime. My B-Day is in January and this isa Christmas gift as well. I have a family and nver get anything for myself. This was the one item I was getting for me.
    11-21-08 09:21 PM
    I'm kind of in that group...I got my "new in 2" credits a couple months ago, and my wife gave me a $150 gift card to Verizon to get a new phone, so I'm basically not paying anything for the phone. I had been hearing about this phone for some time, so I figured I would wait until it came out to see if it was worth getting or not. I've waited a month already, a little more time to get all the reviews out isn't going to kill me.
    Dave, you have until 1/15/09 to return any phone bought after 11/15/08. This is longer than the normal 30 day trial.

You should just buy now with all those rebates, put the phone through the paces in your life, then decide if you are keeping it. If you return it you will get back all the rebates and be rolled back to your old plan.

Why wait for reviews when you can see if it works for you first hand?
    Don't let reviews make up your mind, take the phone for a free 45 day test drive.
    11-21-08 09:21 PM
    I couldnt agree more. Like everyone else, I was caught up in the "Storm" ( pun intended) about this hot new phone. I upgraded from my Pearl to the Curve on October 25th. So, with the Storm launching within my 30 day guarantee period, I was stoked to swap out to the Storm this morning. I was dissapointed at 7am to be told at my NH VZW store to hear that they were only selling to new activations at this time and would receive a call when they move to upgrades.
    As the day progressed, and reading some of the first reviews of the Storm today, I think that I may opt to keep my curve afterall. I think that it is insane that anyone would buy a phone without even being able to play with a demo one in the store.
    Once all the bugs are worked out and BB comes out with a new OS, will VZW update the OS for anyone who purchased a Storm today with a buggy OS ?
    11-21-08 09:30 PM
    Pretty sure I have an amazing Storm right now while all of those thousands of other people have to wait until December 5th! Hahahahaha!!! The OS is fine for me and I know a new one is coming soon which I can just get OTA according to Crucial! Hahahaha...I'm gonna go play with my Storm now
    11-21-08 09:34 PM
    Once all the bugs are worked out and BB comes out with a new OS, will VZW update the OS for anyone who purchased a Storm today with a buggy OS ?
    Over The Air updates to everyone. If they didn't update the OS Verizon would receive many returns and warranty & insurance claims on buggy devices. Just like the iPhone, they will be updating the devices as soon as they have a stable release. Unlike the iPhone you will get the update automatically without having to hook up to your computer - that's the OTA you are seeing posted all over the forums.
    11-21-08 09:36 PM
    the I got one and you don't theory is the main reason i think
    11-21-08 09:37 PM
    I don't care what anyone thinks...I just like playing with new electronic devices! I might be a geek...naaaa
    11-21-08 09:57 PM
    I never even considered buying it the early days of its release. I never rush into things like that. I'm not knocking those who do, it's just not my style. I like to way until the masses get to play with it and see actual user feedback.

As far as trying it myself, I'll wait until the problems get sorted out. I'd hate to pick one up now, have it react slow and/or not working properly in other ways, that would skew my opinion. I'd rather wait until it's somewhat stabilized and then I'll try it. That way I'll be testing a relatively decent working product and my opinion would then be based on personal preference alone.
    11-21-08 10:05 PM
    I will at least head down to the store this weekend to play with one. I'm just saying if I'm reading on here that many people end up all having the same or similar issues then I might rethink what I'm going to do.
    11-21-08 10:48 PM
    Yes. Our corporate account has 4 lines that are up for NE2 and I could have taken any one of them to get a Storm.

I'll wait thank you and here's why.

VZW always has to screw with the OS that RIM provides so they can get their nickel & dime crap in place (disable GPS, add visual voicemail, etc.) so that impacts other stuff and apparently this one took a hit so bad they had to roll back the OS to an old version for release day.

Same thing happened to the "early adapters" of the 8830WE and once you have been a guinea pig, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Just my 2 cents.

HH
    11-21-08 11:56 PM
    There's nothing wrong with being adventurous...unless you have no heart for the adventure.
    11-22-08 12:04 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD