Well, to be fair the Storm still has one advantage (and it might be the biggest):

Verizon
    03-13-09 09:42 PM
    Only advantage is copy/paste.

MMS doesn't work all the time
    Camera is pretty useless
    Video is bunk

Yes 3.0 will be the nail in the coffin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You forgot background processes and push notification. If the 3.0 update includes copy and paste, push notification, and background processes then RIM is going to have to go back to the drawing board.
    03-13-09 09:50 PM
    My phone 114:113 hybrid is extremely responsive.

03-13-09 09:52 PM
    first time BB user, pretty damn dissapointed...

i should have known that with the "buy one get one free" deal at verizon, things were not well... the latest glitch? my storm seemed to forget how to play ACC files, then mp3s, it kept telling me it wasn't a recognizable filetype... battery pull and things were better but its not to point.

this same shotty product entry happened to me when the first gen IPODs came out, it seemed cool and then after about 20 hours of use the battery went to all **** and pretty much wouldn't hold a charge for more than 45 minutes. i haven't bought an apple product since.

has anyone tried surfing the web while listening to music? If you get a phone call you can forget about using your phone for at least 5 minutes while it reboots to think about what its doing, how is that business friendlY? how is that user friendly?

the association of "smart phone" needs to be reworked at RIM. As my first "stupid phone" i really had no expectations as other RIM jobs would claim i had. i never picked up an Iphone, BB or anything else. I liked the tactile nature of the touch screen on a demo phone and it seemed quite loaded with features. I will hang on to it as i am not gonna waste more money... but it did lead me to think that it maybe time to think about apple and boycott RIM for 10 or so years...

tl;dr: bottom line, phone sucks. everyone intelligent knows it and more importantly you shouldn't need to be the president of your local wireless geek squad to maximize the use of a electronic device...
    03-13-09 10:18 PM
    I agree with a lot of the opinions on here...I purchased the storm thinking that it would be able to do the basic functions that any phone can do while incorporating the bells and whistles of let's say for the sake of debate the iphone.....I have read a couple of times about how it's the first generation of touchscreen for blackberry and that basically we as the consumer shouldve known this...I have to disagree with that....no where in the commercials or on the net in my research did I see anything that would have led me to believe that this product was rushed out...in hindsight we all can now look back on it and say yes...it was...but to the average consumer....it was advertised as a fully functioning multimedia device with all of RIM's business features...and yes it does do the basic functions it just reboots...lags...drains the battery...gets stuck between landscape and portrait...freezes during typing..and so on and so forth....to the question of why didn't I return it...well every indication was that it was going to have an OS quickly that was going to make it everything that it can be....I got the storm with .65 and it was terrible...then did push out an upgrade very quickly and yes that does lag...have had huge battery drain....the overall experience I had with .75 was not what I had expected from the phone or actually from a RIM phone to be more specific...advertising can be very misleading and it was only after it's release that I came to see all of the internet reviews and how poorly not just crackberry nation felt it performed but those that are paid to review it as well....I am currently running .114 and though I do find it to be a better overall experience I would still not say that this was the experience that I thought I was paying for....I did not drop full retail on it...but with that said I still feel like it should be performing better than it is....my hope as with the hope of many storm owners is that indeed in the very near future this will be an amazing phone...I am not looking for an Iphone killer...I'm just looking for a great media device that I may be able to recieve emails and make phone calls and txt with....I will patiently wait for the day that this phone will be able to give me that experience...I have committed to waiting it out....
    Last edited by Souless Poet; 03-13-09 at 10:32 PM.
    03-13-09 10:28 PM
    Good job on entirely missing out on the point of the post. I know its being worked on. But the fact that people actually choose to accept what we have now is mind boggling.

What's the alternative? You have two choices. Keep the thing or get rid of it. If you decide to keep it then.

Don't blame people for trying to make the best of the situation. I also don't want my device

to be buggy and slow just like everyone else. But I just have a higher threshold for pain I guess.

So stop being so angry and return/sell the phone. Life's too short bro.

03-14-09 10:35 AM
    I'm not sure about everyone else's situation but I'm just not in a position to constantly upgrade to the newer OS's. I own a business and have several client e-mail addresses that I use when I am working onsite for that particular firm. Therefore, I have to call them to get a new password everytime I reinstall an OS. For that reason alone I can't do all of those upgrades. I need a stable OS and I have tried waiting patiently since I purchased my phone in November.

I guess I will wait until the Niagara comes out. If the OS issues haven't been resolved by then I will probably opt to get that phone. That is if there aren't immediate problems with the Niagara.
    03-14-09 11:47 AM
    I'm not sure about everyone else's situation but I'm just not in a position to constantly upgrade to the newer OS's. I own a business and have several client e-mail addresses that I use when I am working onsite for that particular firm. Therefore, I have to call them to get a new password everytime I reinstall an OS. For that reason alone I can't do all of those upgrades. I need a stable OS and I have tried waiting patiently since I purchased my phone in November.

I guess I will wait until the Niagara comes out. If the OS issues haven't been resolved by then I will probably opt to get that phone. That is if there aren't immediate problems with the Niagara.
    Then I have to question the wisdom of buying a new device, regardless of who made it. If I were in your situation, as much as I might have wanted a Storm, I wouldn't even THINK about any phone that hasn't been on the market a MINIMUM of 6 months. The kinks may not have been fixed by that point, but you can bet the bulk of them have been found by other people, so you can decide if these are things that are going to affect you.

If you buy some device at launch, and plan to use it for business functions like you describe, I'd say it's a small wonder you're still in business... People rarely make bad decisions in isolation after all; it's almost always part of some flawed thought process.
    03-14-09 11:57 AM
    Bigman, i guess what i am trying to convey doesnt quite come out right in writing. So lets just leave it at this...

Bottom line is...like your phone? good, fine...just dont go around giving everyone the impression that the recent builds are acceptable because whether you like it or not, mostly all of us paid money for our phones and we dont want people who settle for less to jeopardize our possibility of having a much better phone than it might end up being.
    Our resident troll aside... I think I have some idea of what you're saying, but I still don't get why you care.

In an ideal world, the Storm would have launched with an OS that blew everyone away, but reality is messy and complicated. Some of us have taken the pragmatic approach of installing leaked builds, some have chosen to remain with .75 or whatever the last official build for a given carrier was.

We can go round and round endlessly speculating on why it's taking so long for a new "official" update and why each of the leaked builds has its own set of quirks. We don't know is what it comes down to in the end. RIM's not talking, those in the know are gagged by NDAs, and speculating based on the incomplete and random scraps of information we have is an effort in futility.

For some of us, the leaked builds work really well, and for some of us they don't. I kind of think that it has less to do with third party software people install, and more the different expectations people have. Some people will simply never be happy with any phone. They will find fault in EVERYTHING, because they paradoxically enjoy being miserable. Some people, like CK/RC just troll because they don't have any friends, and so they pretend as if they don't need anyone and just lash out at people. Some people may not be thrilled with the situation, but understand whining about it isn't going to help matters, and just try to make the best of the situation. And of course some of us don't expect our cell phones to be this all-in-one uber device. We're pretty happy if it works well as a phone and a PDA. If it can do other things in a pinch, like be an MP3 player, GPS, or even portable game console... Bonus! But we don't expect that our cell phone to be full replacements for those devices. Maybe if one day I forget my MP3 player, or I forget to charge it, my Storm could handle my entertainment on my daily commute. Or maybe you miss your train/bus and have to wait for the next one, so you pass the time playing a simple game on your phone since you didn't bring your DS/PSP.

People need to bring their expectations for a cell phone back into the realm of what's practical. Plenty of things are possible, but they aren't practical when you try and cram a bunch of different functions into one device.
    03-14-09 12:25 PM
    .109 works perfect for me...

Honestly it bothers me when I see people saying .109 is perfect for them. Really? How so? I'm curious because last time I checked the phone still lags in pretty much everything it does. Pan a photo and see. Do the same for a webpage and its even worse. In fact I wish you could all see how bad my storm is lagging right now as I type. I mean we all know the phone has major problems...or at least we should. my main concern is that rim will continue to pump out slow os builds like these simply because its "good enough" when it really isn't. Yes the newer builds are better...but they still suck in general. Wake the **** up people!

03-14-09 12:38 PM
    People need to bring their expectations for a cell phone back into the realm of what's practical. Plenty of things are possible, but they aren't practical when you try and cram a bunch of different functions into one device.
    Don't you think that RIM and Verizon are complicit in creating those expectations, though? Like it or not, the iPhone created a certain level of expectations from a touchscreen device and the G1 helps to perpetuate them. RIM and Verizon have done nothing to temper expectations from this device. They have marketed it as Verizon's answer to the iPhone, G1 craze. I don't think that it is unreasonable for people, especially those that never used a BB in the past, to expect more from this device.

What's the benefit of a touchscreen BB? As it stands now, the Storm really is nothing more than a novelty. Now don't get all up in arms about that statement, but it really can't do much more than a Curve or Bold. That being said, comparing it to the iPhone, G1 and upcoming Pre, it is far behind the times in many, but not all, respects. If not for the media, app possibilities, the Storm has no real reason to be in the marketplace. The problem I see is that RIM put out a Bold with a touchscreen, marketed it as a competitor to the iPhone and G1, and have yet to create a OS that is capable of giving users the type of experience that many were expecting. While many argue about whether the latest OS is stable and "it works for me", I think they are missing the point others are attempting to make. A stable OS is fine, but stability and adaptability are two, totally separate issues. .109 may be stable, .113 or whatever we get may be more so, but that still doesn't address the fact that the OS was not designed to compete in the changing landscape of what the average consumer expects of a touchscreen device.

I certainly can see the disappointment that some feel in regard to the Storm. I can also see the enthusiasts point that it, at it's core, is a BB. The problem is that RIM released a device that created a certain set of expectations, but forgot the innovation that is occurring elsewhere in the marketplace. They built a souped up sports car, with a powerful engine and then put a governor on the gas pedal. Certainly other BB devices do a faster and better job of being a BB than the Storm, so what is the point if they are not going to offer that extra, next level experience?
    03-14-09 01:35 PM
    Then I have to question the wisdom of buying a new device, regardless of who made it. If I were in your situation, as much as I might have wanted a Storm, I wouldn't even THINK about any phone that hasn't been on the market a MINIMUM of 6 months. The kinks may not have been fixed by that point, but you can bet the bulk of them have been found by other people, so you can decide if these are things that are going to affect you.

If you buy some device at launch, and plan to use it for business functions like you describe, I'd say it's a small wonder you're still in business... People rarely make bad decisions in isolation after all; it's almost always part of some flawed thought process.
    Honestly, your bullsh*t is way out of line. You don't know a damn thing about me to question my business acumen or why I am still in business. By that same right right, I could call you a jobless fool for sitting on CB all day, right?

Little man, it's a phone, so get that straight and take your little kid antics somewhere else. I wouldn't let you sweep up my office if you provided your own broom.
    03-14-09 02:17 PM
    Honestly, your bullsh*t is way out of line. You don't know a damn thing about me to question my business acumen or why I am still in business. By that same right right, I could call you a jobless fool for sitting on CB all day, right?

Little man, it's a phone, so get that straight and take your little kid antics somewhere else. I wouldn't let you sweep up my office if you provided your own broom.
    I'm not questioning you're business acumen or anything here, so try not to snap. But quite honestly if I were absolutely dependent on any device for business, it would have to be on the market for a min of 1 year (M$ operating systems require at least 1 service pack).

Now for things I use personally, I'd gladly offer to alpha test anything just for the chance to play with a new toy That's led to me beta (and in some cases, alpha) testing too many MMORPGs to name
    03-14-09 03:00 PM
    I'm not questioning you're business acumen or anything here, so try not to snap. But quite honestly if I were absolutely dependent on any device for business, it would have to be on the market for a min of 1 year (M$ operating systems require at least 1 service pack).

Now for things I use personally, I'd gladly offer to alpha test anything just for the chance to play with a new toy That's led to me beta (and in some cases, alpha) testing too many MMORPGs to name
    That's my thing, I'm not dependent on my blackberry to do business and not once have I stated that. I specifically stated that because of the number of corporate e-mail addresses that I personally have for when I work onsite for clients, I can't update OS's like that. I never said that the Storm keeps me from doing XYZ, slows my production down, etc. I gave one specific reason as to why I personally can't do the continuous leaked updates and I got that rude a$$ response. So none of this is about me "snapping." If someone addresses me with respect, they will get that respect in return.

I also stated that if the OS isn't up to par by time the Niagara comes out, I will consider getting that phone. Now please explain to me how that warranted that type of response from him?
    03-14-09 03:08 PM
    The problem is that RIM released a device that created a certain set of expectations, but forgot the innovation that is occurring elsewhere in the marketplace.

what i don't understand is this statement. I didnt think the phone was going to teleport me to some unique internetz experience, i didnt think it was gonna get me laid, or talk to me like HAL and get me thru the worst traffic in LA. I expected a device to work, plan and simple. Make calls, operate as designed, and not freeze when i rotate and click a button.

So this retort about how "expectations were to high" and the phone is just a phone is really not standing up to well.
    03-14-09 03:17 PM
    what i don't understand is this statement. I didnt think the phone was going to teleport me to some unique internetz experience, i didnt think it was gonna get me laid, or talk to me like HAL and get me thru the worst traffic in LA. I expected a device to work, plan and simple. Make calls, operate as designed, and not freeze when i rotate and click a button.

So this retort about how "expectations were to high" and the phone is just a phone is really not standing up to well.
    Not standing up well to who, you? Your response is typical of those that cannot see the forest for the trees. Nowhere did I say that people thought that the Storm would get them laid, would transport them like Star Trek or turn into a Transformer and kill your enemies at will. You make your points irrelevant because you are skewing on a wild tangent. You are welcome to your opinions, as I am to mine, but if you want to discuss expectations and what the Storm was marketed as, I think you need to be a little more realistic with your arguments. What I said was that people expected a device, designed and marketed to compete with the iPhone, to actually compete. You can't do that with 128mb of app memory. You can't do that with an OS designed for the Bold. You can't do that when you don't utilize your own processor to it's fullest. And you can't do that when you tie the wrists of third party developers. Like it or not, apps are the future of this market and they are driving sales of the iPhone, G1 and assuredly the Pre. The people here at Crackberry are the vast, vast minority.
    03-14-09 03:55 PM

And by your reaction I can see that I quite clearly hit on a nerve. So it would seem that I am not alone in my questioning your decisions, you have questioned them yourself. Which makes me wonder what you hope to gain by getting upset with me about it. All I can do is what I did do, and point out something that's been in the back of your mind this whole time. It's up to you to turn that into some kind of action.

And while my job is white collar, don't knock janitorial staff. You don't want to know how quickly our society would fall apart if people stopped cleaning the toilets and taking out the trash. Don't go thinking you're all high and mighty just because you do something else for a living.
    03-14-09 04:03 PM
    And by your reaction I can see that I quite clearly hit on a nerve. So it would seem that I am not alone in my questioning your decisions, you have questioned them yourself. Which makes me wonder what you hope to gain by getting upset with me about it. All I can do is what I did do, and point out something that's been in the back of your mind this whole time. It's up to you to turn that into some kind of action.

And while my job is white collar, don't knock janitorial staff. You don't want to know how quickly our society would fall apart if people stopped cleaning the toilets and taking out the trash. Don't go thinking you're all high and mighty just because you do something else for a living.
    You seriously need to get over yourself. As I said the first time, I never said my business was dependent on my blackberry, you came up with that on your own. Just as I never questioned the validity of the janitorial industry and claimed myself to be on a higher level than anyone in that industry. Once again, you came up with that on your own. It's you personally and you alone that I would never hire in any capacity just by the way you carry yourself here. Understand me now?

Now you want to claim that my reasoning for not being able to partake in multiple OS updates because I don't think it's good business to ask clients for a new email password every other week when a new update hits CB, is me questioning my decisions? Seriously, exactly who do you think you are and where do you come up with your garbage?

I will say it again, you know nothing about me, my business or my life to come to any of these conclusions. The that fact that you addressed me the way that you did is why you got that response. No more, no less.

I see you on here talking about people trolling, and you have done nothing but that. Let's just put it this way, don't address me anymore. I'm going to leave it at that. Hopefully, if you haven't understood anything else that I said, that is the one and only thing you are able to comprehend. I am doubting it.
    03-14-09 04:30 PM
    You seriously need to get over yourself. As I said the first time, I never said my business was dependent on my blackberry, you came up with that on your own. Just as I never questioned the validity of the janitorial industry and claimed myself to be on a higher level than anyone in that industry. Once again, you came up with that on your own. It's you personally and you alone that I would never hire in any capacity just by the way you carry yourself here. Understand me now?

Now you want to claim that my reasoning for not being able to partake in multiple OS updates because I don't think it's good business to ask clients for a new email password every other week when a new update hits CB, is me questioning my decisions? Seriously, exactly who do you think you are and where do you come up with your garbage?

I will say it again, you know nothing about me, my business or my life to come to any of these conclusions. The that fact that you addressed me the way that you did is why you got that response. No more, no less.

I see you on here talking about people trolling, and you have done nothing but that. Let's just put it this way, don't address me anymore. I'm going to leave it at that. Hopefully, if you haven't understood anything else that I said, that is the one and only thing you are able to comprehend. I am doubting it.
    Must've really hit on something for you to keep at it like this. But it's not for me to do anything about it. That only you can do, and before that can happen, you have to admit there is a problem to begin with.

People don't just go mental over little comments, like you did, unless they perceive some kind of provocation. Hostility is a reaction of guilt or shame. Had you been confused by my statements rather than aggressive and hostile, I quite clearly would have been off base. Instead, you perceived it as an attack, which is what someone does when trying to deny something to themselves. To quote Shakespeare: Methinks he doth protest too much.

But I'm not here to judge... I don't care, so long as I'm not the one doing business with you. I'm just pointing out that you made a questionable decision using a newly released device if it's that important to your business. Your reactions thus far say that you agree with me much more convincingly than your verbal attempts at denial. What you choose to do about it, or not do about it, is entirely up to you. Until I have reason to believe that your actions will directly impact me in a negative way, I don't give a gerbil's arse what kind of stupid business decisions you may make. Succeed, fail, eek out a meager existence... It's all the same to me until it happens that we cross paths professionally.
    03-14-09 06:17 PM
    Must've really hit on something for you to keep at it like this. But it's not for me to do anything about it. That only you can do, and before that can happen, you have to admit there is a problem to begin with.

People don't just go mental over little comments, like you did, unless they perceive some kind of provocation. Hostility is a reaction of guilt or shame. Had you been confused by my statements rather than aggressive and hostile, I quite clearly would have been off base. Instead, you perceived it as an attack, which is what someone does when trying to deny something to themselves. To quote Shakespeare: Methinks he doth protest too much.

But I'm not here to judge... I don't care, so long as I'm not the one doing business with you. I'm just pointing out that you made a questionable decision using a newly released device if it's that important to your business. Your reactions thus far say that you agree with me much more convincingly than your verbal attempts at denial. What you choose to do about it, or not do about it, is entirely up to you. Until I have reason to believe that your actions will directly impact me in a negative way, I don't give a gerbil's arse what kind of stupid business decisions you may make. Succeed, fail, eek out a meager existence... It's all the same to me until it happens that we cross paths professionally.
    Since you clearly didn't understand my last post, let's see if you understand this... F.U.C.K. YOU

Get it, got it, good.
    03-14-09 06:43 PM
    I went in here to Post how good it is to see some people facing reality and that the phone is sub par at best. To bad my phone froze 3 times in the process. I have returned 3 storms this far and can't just swap out because of my contract. Screw those who say we should have expected it to suck because its a new device. I buy a new model car I don't expect the wheels to not turn. A new tv to freeze up 10 times a day. Reality check time which I I know is hard for most of you. The phone is below standards and we all know it. I love so much about it but am frustrated daily with it.

On another note go figure I see small mans mom let him on the computer again. Dude get a life and stop just going forum to forum thinking your opinion is the only one that matters. Just cause you spent your life being picked on does note mean that if you go on here and cut other people down you are now cool. And really your name alone shows your small man complex. Just let people enjoy this site. And take your rage out on your onune gamer friends

Since you clearly didn't understand my last post, let's see if you understand this... F.U.C.K. YOU

Get it, got it, good.
    03-14-09 07:00 PM
    thats your problem. if your back on .75, your in the stone age. .109 is working great for me.
    03-14-09 07:14 PM
    That's my thing, I'm not dependent on my blackberry to do business and not once have I stated that. I specifically stated that because of the number of corporate e-mail addresses that I personally have for when I work onsite for clients, I can't update OS's like that. I never said that the Storm keeps me from doing XYZ, slows my production down, etc. I gave one specific reason as to why I personally can't do the continuous leaked updates and I got that rude a$$ response. So none of this is about me "snapping." If someone addresses me with respect, they will get that respect in return.

I also stated that if the OS isn't up to par by time the Niagara comes out, I will consider getting that phone. Now please explain to me how that warranted that type of response from him?
    His last paragraph may have been over the line. Ya'll two can settle that cause my name (in this case) is Wes... I ain't in that mess I understand you don't want to risk a beta os taking away what functionality you have, hence sticking to VZ official releases. Which while stable (for the most part), .75 is below the performance of the leaked OS.

TBH looking to switch to the Niagra when it first comes out could land you in the same boat. While the hardware itself may be tried and true, there's no telling what shape the OS it ships with will be in. The difference in chipsets will most likely mean the option of downgrading to another carrier's stable OS is probably out the window as well.

Early adoption of any cellphone (look to the LG Dare, Samsung Instinct, Apple iPhone and iPhone 3g) is a bad idea if the device will be used in any mission critical way. I think that's the point he was trying to make. Early adoption for anything typically isn't a good idea if the person lacks patience or expects perfection. Look to the Xbox 360, Playstion 3, World of Worldcraft, Eve Online, Ford Pinto... ect ect....
    03-14-09 07:17 PM
    I went in here to Post how good it is to see some people facing reality and that the phone is sub par at best. To bad my phone froze 3 times in the process. I have returned 3 storms this far and can't just swap out because of my contract. Screw those who say we should have expected it to suck because its a new device. I buy a new model car I don't expect the wheels to not turn. A new tv to freeze up 10 times a day. Reality check time which I I know is hard for most of you. The phone is below standards and we all know it. I love so much about it but am frustrated daily with it.

On another note go figure I see small mans mom let him on the computer again. Dude get a life and stop just going forum to forum thinking your opinion is the only one that matters. Just cause you spent your life being picked on does note mean that if you go on here and cut other people down you are now cool. And really your name alone shows your small man complex. Just let people enjoy this site. And take your rage out on your onune gamer friends

As I just mentioned in a reply, do you think people buying the Ford Pinto expected it to blow up in low impact crashes from the rear? Xbox 360 owners to see a glowing red ring shortly after purchase? Zune owners to have their mp3 players lock down tight simply because the date hit January 1st, 2009? The player driven economy in a MMORPG that's been running for years completely unhinged by an exploit that remained unmentio... err, nascent also for at least a year?

Shyte Happens. New, Old, whatever. Chances are much higher in newly released software driven products. It's a reality and has been one for decades.
    03-14-09 07:25 PM
    Shyte Happens. New, Old, whatever. Chances are much higher in newly released software driven products. It's a reality and has been one for decades.
    lol. So we should go back to rotary dial and Commodore 64, because those worked pretty well.

Innovation is SUPPOSED to make things easier, more reliable and more efficient. I think you are confusing "learning curve" with adapting to a piece of **** that doesn't work the way it was intended.

Make no mistake, -I- have made this thing work for me because -I AM- smart enough (ha ha ha ha) .... but that still doesn't mean that I don't recognize it's enduring and glaring functionality shortcomings...

THAT is the reality, not that bleeding edge (which it is not) brings a handicapp you have to overcome. If that is your philosophy, I suggest you shop at the GoodWill. That stuff is tried and true.
    03-14-09 07:50 PM
139 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD