Everyone should try bbcrackman's .114 hybrid. Night and day difference!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 09:02 AM
    QUOTE=Stormin916;1973640]are you done yet? because you wanna bash the economy then go ahead, you wanna talk about your kids then talk to Dr. phil, but you sit here an talk about something that has no meaning really...yes software has bugs but you have to be insane to think that after 5 months they have the storm workin like a 3g iphone....how long has the Iphone been out? how long has the following for the Iphone been growing? SIMPLE TRUTH IS THAT YOU CANNOT EXPECT A BABY TO RUN A MARATHON...and I have no idea where you live if the hospitals dont check the equipment regularly....[/QUOTE]

You totally missed....what a surprise.....
    03-16-09 10:14 AM
    Wifi: How can I miss a toy I'd never play with? Cause that's all it would be to me.. A toy that never gets used. I have a laptop with a 17" screen and a Playstation 3 attached to a 42" screen. Both a far better browsers than Mobile Safari (the ps3 has Flash). Both are in the only place I can be found that has a reliable wifi signal: my house.

Media player: Digital copies of Hancock and The Dark Knight both run without a single issue. DVD copies of Final Fantasy VII and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie keep me from falling asleep between jobs at work.

Video recording: I think I was running .75 when these were taken without issue. I also had a 15 minute test clip taken around the same time. But who wants to watch my tv?

You ever think that maybe some of us aren't apologists? Aren't fanbois? Definately aren't the ones crying? That maybe... Just maybe our phones work as advertised, do what they're supposed to do / how they're supposed to do it / when they're supposed to do it?

Nah, can't be. We must be liars, delusional or got to hand assemble our phones
    wow you took exactly my points to this post. why would i need wifi when the 3G network is fast enough when im not at home? why would i need wifi at home when i have a brand new computer with wifi? i had the curve with wifi and the ONLY reason i EVER used it was because i had t-mobile which didnt get service in my house, i would use the wifi as my signal (tmobile @ home). again i have a few friends at work with the iPhone who never use the wifi except at home when they both have brand new computers (Mac's go figure).

i too have had no issues with the phone since i got it. it was a little laggy for me with .75 but i am on the .114 hybrid now and i absolutely love the phone. im not a business man im in the military and just wanted a "cool" BB to replace my Curve since i switched to Verizon. i love the storm and will stand by it and not feel like a child for enjoying the phone i CHOSE to purchase.
    03-16-09 05:55 PM
    You both touch on a very great point- WiFi. What good does it do you when you're not in range of a signal? For most of us, home is the most reliable place you'll be able to connect through WiFi.

When I'm home, I have my PC, MacBook or PS3 if I so choose to use it. Having to have it on a phone when there is no way to use it is a moot point.
    03-16-09 06:44 PM
    WiFi does open up the ability to interact with other devices/apps on a LAN, which would not otherwise be exposed via the carriers network.
    03-16-09 07:02 PM
    WiFi does open up the ability to interact with other devices/apps on a LAN, which would not otherwise be exposed via the carriers network.
    Oli, I don't think WiFi on a phone is critical b/c even with it there, if there is no way to use it, then it does the end-user no good. I'm not sure I get exactly what you mean about being exposed to the carriers network.

When I am home, I have so much connected that using the phone's WiFi feature wouldn't even enter my train of thought. I recall when I had the Sprint Mogul and only once was I able to use wifi while sitting at home- for the most part, it was a failed effort.
    03-16-09 08:32 PM
    I can't fathom the maintained use of the "early adopter" defense. We're five months in and Verizon nearly gives these away.

The phone does a lot I like over the iPhone but it drives me nuts. This phone is sluggish even in the menu screen. Making or answering calls can be slow as ****. Especially if you try to answer via the screen and it tries to go landscape to vertical... so slow. The iPhone's interface is infinitely smoother, especially when viewing pictures (which kills this device.)

As for the CPU, don't count on more from it. Many of us think it's overwhelmed:
    phoneWreck � BlackBerry Storm - Review and Teardown
    This device needed a GPU. The processor is a bottleneck that software can't fix. I'd be shocked if it's ever half as smooth as the iPhone.

As for copy-and-paste, it's useless if you need to highlight. I still haven't come close to mastering highlighting...
    03-16-09 08:58 PM
    are you done yet? because you wanna bash the economy then go ahead, you wanna talk about your kids then talk to Dr. phil, but you sit here an talk about something that has no meaning really...yes software has bugs but you have to be insane to think that after 5 months they have the storm workin like a 3g iphone....how long has the Iphone been out? how long has the following for the Iphone been growing? SIMPLE TRUTH IS THAT YOU CANNOT EXPECT A BABY TO RUN A MARATHON...and I have no idea where you live if the hospitals dont check the equipment regularly....
    Thank you for that wonderful display of unintelligence.

1. "has no meaning really" - Yeah ok. I bet the buggy software would have a meaning if your mother, sister, daughter, etc. got dominated by a car and you were trying to call 911. The point is people rely on cell phones for a lot these days. If you're willing to accept a half-assed OS for your lifeline, that's on you, but don't attempt to criticize the rest of us who expect more out of our "smartphone."

2. No where in his post did he mention on Iphone. He simply stated that he expects more from RIM than the effortless, garbage OS they put on this phone. You got defensive pretty quickly though. Perhaps you wouldn't need to be so quick to defend it if it worked half as well as the majority of people on this site claim it does.
    03-16-09 09:11 PM
    It's entirely valid to compare this device to the current iPhone, too.

The Storm isn't traveling through time and competing with the launch iPhone, it's competing with the right-now iPhone.

What reason would I have to recommend this to someone over the iPhone? Right now? Very little.

That said, I dislike the iPhone and find it annoying. I chose the Storm for a reason (though I'd pick the 9630 over it in a heartbeat.) But, to others? If they want a multimedia smartishphone, I just don't see the competition.
    Last edited by JudgeHolden; 03-16-09 at 09:17 PM.
    03-16-09 09:14 PM
    It's entirely valid to compare this device to the current iPhone, too.

The Storm isn't traveling through time and competing with the launch iPhone, it's competing with the right-now iPhone.

What reason would I have to recommend this to someone over the iPhone? Right now? Very little.

That said, I dislike the iPhone and find it annoying. I chose the Storm for a reason (though I'd pick the 9630 over it in a heartbeat.) But, to others? If they want a multimedia smartishphone, I just don't see the competition.
    Exactly! People conveniently forget that the Storm a three year hardware advantage over the Iphone. Obviously they haven't been in the tech field long enough to realize how far it advances in three years.
    03-16-09 09:22 PM
    True enough. I guess if a company actually invested in utilizing wifi to control / communicate with devices in their network, wifi would be a requirement. However here in my offices, WiFi is banned. Not secure enough... Or rather the users themselves aren't secure enough

A G1 user at work did brag about his ability to link his phone to his desktop via wifi at home... So he could use his phone as a mouse / keyboard for his desktop
    03-16-09 11:46 PM
    True enough. I guess if a company actually invested in utilizing wifi to control / communicate with devices in their network, wifi would be a requirement. However here in my offices, WiFi is banned. Not secure enough... Or rather the users themselves aren't secure enough

A G1 user at work did brag about his ability to link his phone to his desktop via wifi at home... So he could use his phone as a mouse / keyboard for his desktop
    I think thats it right there!
    03-16-09 11:51 PM
    I think thats it right there!
    It is. But it kinda emphasizes the point: there's CAT 5 everywhere in the building.

My cable was down over the weekend. So was my gf's iPhone. Here at 40th and Market (you're from Philly so you know it's not in the boonies), her 3g was strictly edge and she whined cause she couldn't play Hold 'Em

Wifi on the majority of people's phone is a toy. It is not reliable simply because to use it, you have to be someplace with reliable wireless signal. My job has me anywhere from 33rd & Susquehanna to 82nd & Lindebergh. If I had to rely on wireless for Garmin Mobile, I'd be screwed. Or if I had to rely on it for the roadtip from Hyannis, MA to Philadelphia, PA I'd prolly still be wandering around NY
    03-17-09 12:16 AM
    It is. But it kinda emphasizes the point: there's CAT 5 everywhere in the building.

My cable was down over the weekend. So was my gf's iPhone. Here at 40th and Market (you're from Philly so you know it's not in the boonies), her 3g was strictly edge and she whined cause she couldn't play Hold 'Em

Wifi on the majority of people's phone is a toy. It is not reliable simply because to use it, you have to be someplace with reliable wireless signal. My job has me anywhere from 33rd & Susquehanna to 82nd & Lindebergh. If I had to rely on wireless for Garmin Mobile, I'd be screwed. Or if I had to rely on it for the roadtip from Hyannis, MA to Philadelphia, PA I'd prolly still be wandering around NY
    I feel you! But in the area you're in, you got Presby, Drexel & U of P which I believe may still have some pretty good wifi jumping off. When my sister was in the hospital, I used U of P's wifi- even outside, the signal was descent.

Now what you're saying about your girls iPhone doesn't surprise me one bit.

Between 33rd & Susquehanna to 82nd & Lindebergh you know you ain't gonna get a signal- not even out of a brick! As a matter of fact, I hope you're safely secure in your vehicle- damn wifi at those spots!
    03-17-09 12:37 AM
139 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD