actually it was........
    I guess its just as a much a marketing gimmick as muti-touch was for the Iphone.
    05-22-09 09:21 AM
    Wouldn't you technically have to write two OS for the Storm then? I mean its not as simple as turning on or off vibrate, or changing a ring tone, or even turning on or off hap tic feedback on the LG phones. The option to have the click or not, would mean they would have to implement two OS, one where you must click to choose, and one where some other gesture (e.g. double tap) to choose... just thinking here, I am by no means a dev or anything....
    Nah you can have the same system where you just need just like mouse rules in windows an option where you set a single touch, a click, or a double touch as the run or perform action options. Once you set that the phone quickly switches. The problem is for people who want non-clicky touch phones from RIM the Storm isn't that great, because its about twice as thick as it needs to be.

I just wish RIM decided they could have multiple touch phones like samsung LG and HTC. Have a Storm line with its clickyness and have a "Thunder" line with just touch.

If they can have The Bold, the Curve, and The Tour, then they can have two touch phones.
    05-22-09 09:27 AM
    Wouldn't you technically have to write two OS for the Storm then? I mean its not as simple as turning on or off vibrate, or changing a ring tone, or even turning on or off hap tic feedback on the LG phones. The option to have the click or not, would mean they would have to implement two OS, one where you must click to choose, and one where some other gesture (e.g. double tap) to choose... just thinking here, I am by no means a dev or anything....
    I am a programmer, and although I don't know the storm API it would seem like there should just be a menu option that will cause the listener to listen for a touch for input and not a click. Think about it in terms of when we touch the letters the blue light lights up. So like it know's i'm touching "T" for instance. You would just need to call a different method to actually input the T when it's touched. It's possible and probably not that hard to do, RIM just isnt going to do it for Storm 1...hence Storm 2.
    05-22-09 09:29 AM
    The click is something that they developed as a sell for the phone some like it some do not. When a company devolops a product there are going to be some things people like and people dont like. thats just the way it is. If you dont like surepress then you shouldnt have the phone to begin with . For example I am a big maxima fan and have had 2 diff models since 97, but in 2007 they switched the trannys to CVT instead of the normal auto 5 speed, and from what I here most people like it. After test driving I didnt like it so I didnt buy it, end of story. Do i wish they didnt make that switch, Yes, does that make it a failure, NO

if we take a poll of people who have the storm and have had it for more than 30 days (i think has been done already, then youll see much more people like it than not, i mean the thing did sell 1mill times, which makes it not a failure
    Last edited by holladay42; 05-22-09 at 10:44 AM.
    05-22-09 10:28 AM
    I guess its just as a much a marketing gimmick as muti-touch was for the Iphone.
    yeah and they dropped multi-touch 6 months later : )

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 11:07 AM
    actually it was........
    And you know this because... is there some marketing guy at RIM that told you this? Or are you just talking out your ***?
    05-22-09 12:22 PM
    yeah and they dropped multi-touch 6 months later : )

Yeah, it is SUCH a gimmicky feature since it actually WORKS.
    05-22-09 12:35 PM
    And you know this because... is there some marketing guy at RIM that told you this? Or are you just talking out your ***?
    No need for hostility.

If you haven't figured it out on your own its not worth explaining : )

05-22-09 01:12 PM
    One of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on a message board.

Wow.
    05-22-09 01:52 PM
    If you look at the picture on the under side of back where it shows the battery the two screws are still there that allow us to tweak click sensibility so maybe? its still there
    05-22-09 03:52 PM
    It is as much away to navigate and input actions as a keyboard or a trackball or a trackpad. Its being dropped doesn't make it viable on other phones nor does it make it hated by others. It separated from other phones bit that in itself doesn't make it a gimmick.

05-22-09 04:02 PM
    The Blackberry OS is built on the "click" interface.. either moving around with the roller ball and clicking, or the sidescroll and clicking, or the storm with the big a$$ clicker.

Don't you think that would be a big PITA to come up with an alternate way to move around the OS for a touch screen blackberry?

I'm going all in on a pressure sensitive touch screen.. So I can still scroll around by touching the screen but I have to press down a little harder to "click." It's more of a digital click then a mechanical one, but still a click.
    05-22-09 04:46 PM
    The Blackberry OS is built on the "click" interface.. either moving around with the roller ball and clicking, or the sidescroll and clicking, or the storm with the big a$$ clicker.

Don't you think that would be a big PITA to come up with an alternate way to move around the OS for a touch screen blackberry?

I'm going all in on a pressure sensitive touch screen.. So I can still scroll around by touching the screen but I have to press down a little harder to "click." It's more of a digital click then a mechanical one, but still a click.
    Everything about the Storm 2 is wild speculation at this point, but this is one of the more sensible hypotheses I've seen. It would indeed be very un-BlackBerry like to not have some form of click.
    05-22-09 06:05 PM
    If you look at the picture on the under side of back where it shows the battery the two screws are still there that allow us to tweak click sensibility so maybe? its still there

No those screws are on the back of the Bold and Curve. They hold the back piece down.
    2 on top 2 in the middle and 2 on the bottom.
    05-22-09 08:46 PM
    I cannot believe people are trying to defend SurePress.

It was the #1 reason for returns, I am willing to be anything on that. The way it was implemented seemed like RIM has 3rd graders developing this crap. No way can you allow a gap, THAT big, to remain unsealed. There is also no way you can allow the screen to wiggle THAT much.

If the Storm had a normal touchscreen, I would still have it. SurePress was innovative, there is NO doubt about it. But it sucked.

Innovative =/= good.
    05-22-09 09:07 PM
    I cannot believe people are trying to defend SurePress.

It was the #1 reason for returns, I am willing to be anything on that. The way it was implemented seemed like RIM has 3rd graders developing this crap. No way can you allow a gap, THAT big, to remain unsealed. There is also no way you can allow the screen to wiggle THAT much.

If the Storm had a normal touchscreen, I would still have it. SurePress was innovative, there is NO doubt about it. But it sucked.

Innovative =/= good.
    Which of course raises the question, why the **** did they make it with that big of a gap? The new aluminum Macbooks have a trackpad that clicks as surely as a SurePress screen clicks, but I've not heard anything about Macbook users complaining that their trackpad wobbles or lets in liquids/debris around the edges. Maybe Apple just assassinates them all...
    05-22-09 10:48 PM
    Which of course raises the question, why the **** did they make it with that big of a gap? The new aluminum Macbooks have a trackpad that clicks as surely as a SurePress screen clicks, but I've not heard anything about Macbook users complaining that their trackpad wobbles or lets in liquids/debris around the edges. Maybe Apple just assassinates them all...
    Maybe they were rushed or maybe they were lazy. Maybe they just flat out didn't know how. We may never know.

I can agree it was innovative for a cell phone, but it created more problems than it tried to solve.

05-23-09 12:46 AM
    Touchscreens have been around for years in both capacitive and resistive models.The latest model is a type of wave technology and pretty expensive . Both resistive and the newest type are very sesitive to dust, water, etc. The most durable touch technology is capacitive.
    RIM tried to build a new model and while their idea was indeed innovative it had flaws. Sounds like they have decided to make use of the capacitive flavor of touch screens, and quit trying to re-invent the wheel.I wouldn't buy a storm with the surepress technology. But if the Storm2 has a capacitive screen, I'm a buyer. Count me in.

05-23-09 12:59 AM
    I love the click! That's what makes the Storm the Storm IMO. Just seems more natural when typing. Hate to see it go on the Storm 2. I can tell you this for sure, I won't be standing in line to get one this time. Gonna wait ans see how the OS pans out. Might check out the HTC Touch Diamond if Storm 2 is just like all other touch screens.

05-24-09 02:56 AM
    and you bought into it, suckerrrrrr ohh man did rim ever burn you with that gimmick! I bet VZW was in on it too! and microsoft! it's cool to hate them too right!? OH and the terrorists, don't let them out of your sight for one second. Those bastids.
    Hahaha that was pretty great!!!!!!!!!
    05-24-09 07:04 PM
    Touchscreens have been around for years in both capacitive and resistive models.The latest model is a type of wave technology and pretty expensive . Both resistive and the newest type are very sesitive to dust, water, etc. The most durable touch technology is capacitive.
    RIM tried to build a new model and while their idea was indeed innovative it had flaws. Sounds like they have decided to make use of the capacitive flavor of touch screens, and quit trying to re-invent the wheel.I wouldn't buy a storm with the surepress technology. But if the Storm2 has a capacitive screen, I'm a buyer. Count me in.

You're conflating capacitive screen with no SurePress. Storm 1 has both. They're not mutually exclusive.

I get what you're saying, though. I certainly hope the screen on the Storm 2 is not the crappy resistive-type screen I've seen on some touch screen phones.
    05-25-09 05:24 AM
    Maybe the Storm2 has a capacitive screen mounted on top of a resistive screen. That way, you can touch without clicking and you would have to press to click.

....?
    05-27-09 05:11 AM
    I am just going to chime in here and say a couple things:

I like surepress and it could be re-engineered to work better. Second RIM won an award for this technology at Mobile World Congress (MWC).
    05-29-09 10:02 PM
    Okay. This seems rather simple to me but please explain to me why this would be difficult. Instead of completely removing surepress (since it has great pros and cons), why didn't they do some sort of hybrid?

For example:

surepress for browser
    normal touchscreen for gaming and typing

Maybe they could give users the option to choose by creating a "touch type" option for example. From there you could choose: browser, typing, apps, etc. and choose between surepress and press (normal touch).

I love surepress for clicking links and browsing the web. Almost no more accidental link clicking and scrolling anymore compared to other touch screen phones. But for gaming and typing, the press touch screen style seems a lot more effective and efficient. Why not do both?

Just wondering...
    I agree and have made similar posts. I don't feel it needed for typing but love it when browsing the internet. I would love to be able to toggle it on or off

05-31-09 02:10 AM
    So then here is another question to add to the mix. Surepress technology is not only found in the blackberry storm, or at least not in my mind. The new apple Macbook and MBP have a semi "surepress" button as the touchpad. I have seen many MBP and not one has had an issue with gaps, dust, or movement of the touchpad. Granted I understand that this may be due to the fact that we are talking about two different things, one being a screen that may need a type of ventilation. However the touchpad on MBP recognizes if you have one two three or even four fingers on the pad. It doesn't make sense why this type of system could not be put into the storm. I mean all in all that pad seems like it would be almost the same hardware as the storm. Ohh well, just a thought to add to the mix.

I'm on .148 and I love my storm. It has it's good side and bad side, I will stay on my contract with this phone and see what new device is out in two years.
    05-31-09 02:23 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD