Okay. This seems rather simple to me but please explain to me why this would be difficult. Instead of completely removing surepress (since it has great pros and cons), why didn't they do some sort of hybrid?

For example:

surepress for browser
    normal touchscreen for gaming and typing

Maybe they could give users the option to choose by creating a "touch type" option for example. From there you could choose: browser, typing, apps, etc. and choose between surepress and press (normal touch).

I love surepress for clicking links and browsing the web. Almost no more accidental link clicking and scrolling anymore compared to other touch screen phones. But for gaming and typing, the press touch screen style seems a lot more effective and efficient. Why not do both?

Just wondering...
    05-21-09 02:27 PM
    They had enough troubles with getting the surepress technology to work at first, now you want them to go ahead and hybrid it with a normal touch screen? how many issues would you expect for that to have?

...lets be realistic here
    05-21-09 02:30 PM
    I highly doubt RIM will abandon "XXXXPress" on the their touchscreen devices.
    05-21-09 02:34 PM
    I highly doubt RIM will abandon "XXXXPress" on the their touchscreen devices.
    well all the reports are saying the storm 2 wont have it
    05-21-09 02:37 PM
    IIRC RIM will now call it 'TruePress'. Personally i feel this is all part of the milking game by RIM. Why not give the option to disable 'SurePress' in an new OS revision in the 95XX??? Anyway it should have some kind of feedback.
    05-21-09 02:43 PM
    It's because the main problem with SurePress isn't software, but hardware. SurePress makes that gap around the screen that lets liquids in so easily inevitable.

SurePress was a great idea, and just because it didn't really pan out in the long term doesn't mean it wasn't innovative. I'd wondered before why nobody made a touchscreen device with a click. Now I know why.

...but who knows? Maybe they'll figure out a way to have a gasket cover that gap.
    05-21-09 02:43 PM
    Most of the 3rd party games and apps are just touch and no click

(opera, airtrafficcontrol, bubble wars...)

so there you have it
    05-21-09 03:16 PM
    We don't know for sure its gone. I'm hearing its a hybrid set up. There will be some type of click but not like current setup.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 03:22 PM
    Exactly. Since most of the apps are press only anyways, maybe they can at least make a surepress option? Seems like this would help tremendously with future OS updates. Then RIM can just focus on the bugs and less on improvements. I don't know. It was just an idea.
    05-21-09 04:26 PM
    Engadget reports that there is no actual click surepress on the new Storm 2.

BlackBerry Storm 2: the official unofficial hands-on

"First off, let's confirm the huge news: RIM's abandoned the original Storm's SurePress click-screen and gone with a traditional fixed capacitive display for the sequel...The display is a capacitive number, and it's definitely not SurePress, at least in the traditional sense; there's nary a click to be found. In fact, it behaves rather like the iPhone's screen as far as scrolling and even texture of the surface is concerned."

Reading that makes me believe that there will be no more click in the Storm 2 and will be a similar touch screen like the iphone...Thats what I understand it to be anyways...
    05-21-09 04:35 PM
    $hitPress was a pure marketing gimmick that failed due to hardware issues.
    05-21-09 04:47 PM
    and you bought into it, suckerrrrrr ohh man did rim ever burn you with that gimmick! I bet VZW was in on it too! and microsoft! it's cool to hate them too right!? OH and the terrorists, don't let them out of your sight for one second. Those bastids.
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 05-21-09 at 05:00 PM.
    05-21-09 04:56 PM
    SurePress was a perfectly good idea that did in fact fail due to hardware issues. Don't get mad at RIM for trying new things just because you didn't do your homework before you bought their product.
    05-21-09 05:25 PM
    They didn't mention anything about a pressure sensitive screen.

05-21-09 05:35 PM
    im not entirely sure what youre all talking about? ive had a storm since day one and have never replaced a single one! ive gone through every different operating system and am on .148 now, and my surepress is the best feature of the storm, or at least one of the best! im not sure i even want a new storm 2 unless its a new interaction that completely blows sure press away!
    STORM=LOVE.
    05-21-09 05:55 PM
    like it or not this statement is 100% fact.
    05-21-09 05:59 PM
    Wrong. Just because an idea didn't pan out doesn't make it a marketing gimmick.
    05-21-09 06:01 PM
    and you bought into it, suckerrrrrr ohh man did rim ever burn you with that gimmick! I bet VZW was in on it too! and microsoft! it's cool to hate them too right!? OH and the terrorists, don't let them out of your sight for one second. Those bastids.
    SurePress was a perfectly good idea that did in fact fail due to hardware issues. Don't get mad at RIM for trying new things just because you didn't do your homework before you bought their product.
    Guess I should add this to my sig so I don't have to keep repeating this over and over and OVER.

MY STORM WAS ISSUED TO ME BY THE COMPANY THAT EMPLOYEES ME. I'M BES LOCKED TO OTA UPGRADES. I DID NOT PAY FOR THE PHONE.

And it was a gimmick to entice those consumers who *think* that input devices have to have tactile feedback, no matter if the downside is a slower device interaction experience, and ultimately hardware failure.
    05-21-09 06:26 PM
    Guess I should add this to my sig so I don't have to keep repeating this over and over and OVER.

MY STORM WAS ISSUED TO ME BY THE COMPANY THAT EMPLOYEES ME. I'M BES LOCKED TO OTA UPGRADES. I DID NOT PAY FOR THE PHONE.

And it was a gimmick to entice those consumers who *think* that input devices have to have tactile feedback, no matter if the downside is a slower device interaction experience, and ultimately hardware failure.
    HOW DARE THEY LIKE SOMETHING THAT YOU DO NOT!!!

To the gallows! this cannot stand! fffrrreeeeedddoooommmmmm!!!!
    05-21-09 06:33 PM
    Wrong. Just because an idea didn't pan out doesn't make it a marketing gimmick.
    actually it was........
    05-21-09 06:43 PM
    im not so surethere getting rid of the click alltogether. If u see the review vid on engagdet, all he could do is highlight the ok button on the rim terms popup but he couldnt click it like with the storm, therefore couldnt get past that screen. So maybe on this evaluation unit they were testing it without surepress
    05-21-09 07:52 PM
    well all the reports are saying the storm 2 wont have it
    I read something about "truepress"...

I'm thinking that for the storm 2 they might incorporate touchscreen and sure press together. Just like that application that allows you to choose when to rotate the screen, they might have different options with the storm 2 on when to click the screen and when u just touch it.
    05-22-09 01:31 AM
    I think it failed also because....ok you ever had an idea, and it sounded real good in your head, even looks good on paper, but then when you implement it, it just didn't quite pan out like you expected? I just think RIM got it wrong. They thought it was a better idea to make it click, I just don't think it was. Touch screens should be...well...touch screens. keyword "touch" clicking should be left to physical keyboards. After having the storm i'm sure many of us see that. The only people that I have ever met that actually like the click are those of us that actually carry the phone..bc we have no choice but to click. I have let non blackberry users use my storm before and they hate the fact that it clicks. its 2009. everything is about how fast you can get something done. clickscreen is just not fast enough like when typing. And before I get flammed (which first off I am NOT THE ONE so come at me if you want to) with "maybe you shouldn't have bought the storm"...I like it I do but it could have been so much better. Of course I'm going to buy it because it's the "new blackberry". most of us know how that is something new comes out you just gotta have it. They advertised this thing like it was going to be the be all tell all of smartphones...and it just was not. who wouldn't buy something said to be the iphone killer? I mean the iphone is the smoothest touchscreen out there so if something is said to be able to compete with that...and it's a blackberry...of course people are going to buy it.
    05-22-09 08:57 AM
    Sure press is good for me, but I have to agree, for those who prefer not to have it, flexibility would be appreciated.

05-22-09 09:04 AM
    Wouldn't you technically have to write two OS for the Storm then? I mean its not as simple as turning on or off vibrate, or changing a ring tone, or even turning on or off hap tic feedback on the LG phones. The option to have the click or not, would mean they would have to implement two OS, one where you must click to choose, and one where some other gesture (e.g. double tap) to choose... just thinking here, I am by no means a dev or anything....
    05-22-09 09:15 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD