Hey guys,

I hate to start another thread about memory, but I can't seem to figure this one out for the life of me.

My app memory has started leaking like CRAZY over the past 1-2 weeks. I'm up to the point where I'm losing 20-30 mb in a few hours and my phone is unbearably slow.

My first thought was that I had an app on there that was leaking. So, I uninstalled each app and theme one at a time, waiting a day or so in-between to see if the problem was fixed. It never did, and I ended up with 0 apps installed on my phone (also, no extra themes installed).

So, my next thought was that it was the OS I was running. I did a full device wipe, and changed to a new OS, hoping that would fix it. I was wrong. I'm still leaking. So far, these are the OS's that I have run in the past 2 weeks with the problem STILL going, even WITHOUT any extra themes or apps installed. Just a bare bones OS...

1. .132
    2. .141
    3. Lyricidal .132 + 5.0 hybrid
    4. Lyricidal .141 + 5.0 hybrid
    5. BBCrackman v5
    6. BBCrackman v5.1
    7. BBCrackman v5.1 + 5.0 files.

Also, I ought to note that each one of these OS's that I've run has been shrunk using Lyricidal's Shrink-A-OS (latest version) with everything removed except for default font. The only extra stuff I have installed in all of these OS's is BlackBerry Messenger and Attachment Service. I am also using a 9530 on Verizon's network

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? I do have my device memory and card memory each loaded up to the max with movies and songs... but that shouldn't touch app memory, should it?

Thanks for your help guys... I'm thinking of going all the way back to .122 tonight to see if that helps - but I can't remember far enough back to think of what issues my phone had with .122, so I'd obviously rather find out what's going on before I do that. I am unable to recall if I ONLY started leaking memory when I got .132 and .141 on my phone, or if the phone functioned OK at one point with them installed.

Any help you can give me would be awesome. Thanks a lot guys!
    05-17-09 06:46 PM
    that is odd. You have no apps or themes installed and yet you lose 30 MBs of memory in a few hours.

What do you start with on reboot and what do you end up with after 3 hours.

Do you have meterberry installed to see any patterns or if it bounces back up at all?
    05-17-09 06:53 PM
    At boot I start around 58 mb free. I have MeterBerry installed right now (just out it back on yesterday) and notice that it does bounce around a bit up and down, but no pattern to it. Also note that MeterBerry being installed didn't impact the leak so I don't think its that since I just installed it bacl on yesterday. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 06:57 PM
    I would honestly load .75 again and have that one replaced and try again.

I have no problems with mine, nor have I really heard anything like this occurring!
    05-17-09 07:00 PM
    Thanks but .75 was miserable on my phone unfortunately.

05-17-09 07:15 PM
    At boot I start around 58 mb free. I have MeterBerry installed right now (just out it back on yesterday) and notice that it does bounce around a bit up and down, but no pattern to it. Also note that MeterBerry being installed didn't impact the leak so I don't think its that since I just installed it bacl on yesterday. Thanks!

what does it drop down to though...i mean if it drops to in the 30s that is pretty normal for almost anyone. Does it run slow in the 30s still?
    05-17-09 07:16 PM
    Oh sorry forgot to answer! I drop into the high 20s around 27 then it gets so slow I reboot. That happens at the end of the day normally. If I don't reboot it will drop to teens....
    It is not too slow in the 30s that I notice but it just keeps dropping past that so I go ahead and reboot then a lot.

05-17-09 07:25 PM
    I don't think the OS is your problem and going to .75 and replacing the phone are total over reactions to your problem. You have a settings or application problem that is slowing your phone down if your memory is staying above 20-25 MB. Just as meterberry is telling you free memory will fluctuate while the phone is operating, this is normal and it is also normal for your memory to drop from whatever it is at start up. You need to take a closer look at what you did to or loaded on your phone when the problem started showing up. Or you could just do a fresh install without the backup and start with a clean set up and see how the phone runs.
    05-17-09 07:29 PM
    that is a pretty big drop. mine starts in the upper 40s and drops to maybe lower 30s and doesnt ever seem slow.
    05-17-09 07:29 PM
    How long are you giving the OS's time to settle in? The first 3 days i had V5 on i would be down 20-25mb by lunch or so everyday. I'm on my 9th day with it now and i only lose 10-15mb by nighttime. Maybe load one and give it a week or so...see if the memory use/leak gets better....

FYI...same OS setup as you...no themes, no apps that run in the background, and shrunk to just the default font.

05-17-09 07:32 PM
    How much do you use your default RIM Browser to get onto the internet?

See my thread about my "opinion" of the cause:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/14...-found-229904/
    05-17-09 07:34 PM
    Thanks guys. I will check all this out. Maybe reload OS without restoring settings and ill check out the thread above for more info.

I give them each a few days to settle, to answer that question

05-17-09 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD