I have a Canon Powershot A590IS. I got it for around $100. For those not familiar with the camera, its an 8MP point and shoot. It's wonderful for the money.

The camera has an accelerometer in it so it auto-rotates images when you rotate the camera. It can rotate 8MP images faster than the Storm can rotate wallpaper sized images (360x480). It zooms into them with absolutely no lag or delay, and pans around photo's with no lag or delay. It also moves between photo's with no delay at all.

Now, I know the Storm has a much higher resolution screen, so it needs to process much more of an image at once, but why can my cheap point and shoot camera handle images perfectly, while the Storm struggles just to browse through different wallpapers?

The Storm's hardware is miles ahead of what's in a cheap point-and-shoot camera. The Canon doesn't exactly have 128MB of RAM or an ARM11 CPU in it... How can the camera handle large (4MB) images so well while the Storm can barely handle viewing wallpapers?
    Because of similar reasons why your camera has a hard time making a phone call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 09:24 PM
    Because it's a freakin' camera
    03-12-09 09:33 PM
    Yesterday, I spoke with Verizon technical support, and when I asked them why my phone isn't a good phone, they informed me that the BlackBerry Storm is a PDA/Data device first, a phone second, and anything else third. I was informed that these phones are meant to be PDA's with a phone application.

Pretty much put a damper on my whole day.
    See if they'll email you the same answer. Then forward it to Verizon executives and RIM.

That is the type of rudimentary thinking that doomed Palm, and it is distressing to hear someone actually said that to you in a sober state.
    03-12-09 09:40 PM
    My guess is the phone has to preload several images to support the dragging effect. Your camera can do a rudimentary scaling/thumbnailing but I don't think that RIM has that implemented yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 11:18 AM
    I have a Canon Powershot A590IS. I got it for around $100. For those not familiar with the camera, its an 8MP point and shoot. It's wonderful for the money.

The camera has an accelerometer in it so it auto-rotates images when you rotate the camera. It can rotate 8MP images faster than the Storm can rotate wallpaper sized images (360x480). It zooms into them with absolutely no lag or delay, and pans around photo's with no lag or delay. It also moves between photo's with no delay at all.

Now, I know the Storm has a much higher resolution screen, so it needs to process much more of an image at once, but why can my cheap point and shoot camera handle images perfectly, while the Storm struggles just to browse through different wallpapers?

The Storm's hardware is miles ahead of what's in a cheap point-and-shoot camera. The Canon doesn't exactly have 128MB of RAM or an ARM11 CPU in it... How can the camera handle large (4MB) images so well while the Storm can barely handle viewing wallpapers?
    How well does your Cannon make phone calls and browse the internet? Guess What? you bought a PHONE not a camera.
    03-16-09 12:06 PM
    How well does your Cannon make phone calls and browse the internet? Guess What? you bought a PHONE not a camera.
    The phone is being advertised as a multimedia device.

RIM is gonna get trampled by Apple, Microsoft, and even Palm if they keep an "It's a phone" attitude. The Storm is being sold as a multimedia device to normal consumers. RIM needs to evolve with the smartphone market
    03-16-09 12:39 PM
    The storm has been out for a few months the iphone not only has less features but it is on it's second generation. Give the storm 2 years or however long the iphone has been out and see how well the zooming, panning, etc. works.

I will bet 1,000,000 dollars the iphone didn't work as good after 4 months as it does now.
    Last edited by marjama; 03-16-09 at 02:40 PM.
    03-16-09 02:17 PM
    The storm has been out for a few months the iphone not only has less features but it is on it's second generation. Give the storm 2 years or however long the iphone has been out and see how well the zooming, panning, etc. works.

I will bet 1,000,000 dollars the iphone didn't work as good after 4 months as it does now.
    Zooming and panning on the iPhone worked well from day 1...

Look, I like my Storm, and I hate all things Apple, but RIM is gonna have to play their game a bit if they want to really break out in the consumer market with the Storm.

The Palm Pre is months away from being released, but it already looks more feature rich and polished than the iPhone or the Storm! That's what RIM's up against. This "It's just a phone" excuse isn't going to fly when all of these other "phones" are doing things the Storm should be able to do. What if the iPhone 3.0 software gives the iPhone copy and paste, stereo bluetooth, voice activated dialing, multitasking, and mms? What advantage will the Storm have after that?
    03-16-09 04:23 PM
    Don't make excuses for RIM... I refuse to accept the "iPhone has been out longer than BlackBerry" argument. So? It does not explain the deficiencies that came with the Storm.

As I have said elsewhere, Apple can make substandard products. They wrap up em up all pretty, and people will buy them. RIM should do better than that, mostly because they have to.

Even though I don't expect a smartphone to work as well as a dedicated camera, I kinda agree with Vaca: RIM needs to bring it. I suspect that Apple will be looking for a knockout punch with the next iPhone/software, and Palm has to hit a homerun with the Pre. It is going to be a tough market.
    03-16-09 04:52 PM
    Don't make excuses for RIM...
    It is going to be a tough market.
    Exactly!!!

No matter how much you may like your Storm, or any other Blackberry, RIM is gonna start losing market share with all this competition unless they seriously one up Palm, Apple, and MS.

Competition is good for the consumer, so hopefully RIM will really pull something out and surprise us.
    03-16-09 05:19 PM
    Don't make excuses for RIM... I refuse to accept the "iPhone has been out longer than BlackBerry" argument. So? It does not explain the deficiencies that came with the Storm.

As I have said elsewhere, Apple can make substandard products. They wrap up em up all pretty, and people will buy them. RIM should do better than that, mostly because they have to.

Even though I don't expect a smartphone to work as well as a dedicated camera, I kinda agree with Vaca: RIM needs to bring it. I suspect that Apple will be looking for a knockout punch with the next iPhone/software, and Palm has to hit a homerun with the Pre. It is going to be a tough market.
    I am not making exuses for RIM all I'm saying is people are comparing the iphone 3g to the first generation storm. Of course the iphone is going to be less laggy and perform more smoothly. The storm has improved leaps and bounds from .75 to .114 in speed IMO for a lot of different parts of the OS in just a few months. All I'm saying is that in 1.5 years the storm still might not be as responsive and quick as the iphone 3g is now but I guarantee it will be closer than a storm that has only been out for a few months.

I don't think the storm is snappy by any means, and I am not making excuses for RIM I also think they messed up, but give it 1.5 years and we can see if it's any better.
    Last edited by marjama; 03-16-09 at 06:47 PM.
    03-16-09 06:44 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD