I love this discussion. I posted something like this regarding different experiences with beta OS version a while back.

I attributed it to possible manufacturing dates, different hardware etc, but then again who knows.

I will say this, if you don't download an OS and install it you are really missing out in the growing process of the device

Look at it this way: I have seen people at my work using Storms with .75 and they have 10 times more issues than I do with mine. They don't care about 3rd party apps because they use the device for business only. I on the other hand have 3rd party apps like crazy.

I have run almost every Beta OS that has been released. Some good, some much better than others, but .75 was driving me nuts so I figured I would play the game and enjoy the adventure.

I would honestly suggest everyone to do the same. If you don't feel you can do it, read the directions in the forums on how to upgrade and downgrade and if you feel comfortable then take the Storm under control and make it work for you.
    03-25-09 06:31 PM
    no one is saying don't download the beta OS's

what we are saying is backup your storm first.
    Quoted for truth.... The hardest part about "fixing" a nuked BB is getting your apps and menus set back the way you had them if you failed to have a recent backup. With a backup, worst case is something goes wrong and gives you a "507 reload OS" error; and that's nothing worse than 30 minutes of your time to fix. I managed to try 4 different leaks/hybrids before settling on bbcrackman .114 hybrid (pre .113) in one evening. And the only thing I lost was an old BB messenger convo since the backup doesn't seem to include those.....

People, a "bricked" BB is akin to a Windows PC that needs the OS reloaded. It's nothing more than a computer that's missing it's OS software, or missing critical parts of the OS. Unless it's got a hardware problem, it's easily fixed. Think of the BB Device software installed on the PC and used in conjunction with apploader and a good backup as your "restore discs" for your Blackberry.
    03-25-09 06:34 PM
    What I don't understand is the diffrence from phone to phone. Two people could buy a phone, upgrade an os and install the exact same third party apps, and the two phones could still behave completely diffrent (speed, memory, crashes, ect.).
    Some devices are going to be lemons right out of the box. Even if 99% of the devices manufactured work perfectly, that 1% of 2 million devices is 20,000 that fail right out of the box due to hardware defects. Thats a lot of bad devices that could have a wide range of issues.

We are also talking about user perception here too. What one perceives to be "slow" another user might find to be acceptable or even fast. For the most part, unless you have a faulty phone, if one single person took two phones and loaded them up identical from the same computer, I'm willing to bet they will operate in pretty much the same manner. Now take those phones, load them up identically and give them to two different people, you are going to have two differerent opinions on how they operate. Maybe because they use them differently, maybe because their opinion differs on how to define "slow".

Hope this makes sense. My infant daugher was up all night screaming, so I'm not exactly with it today!
    03-25-09 07:30 PM
    I'm convinced the majority of major install problems are due to AppLoader/Desktop Manager being flakey. Several times I've had the install process crap out before the databases are restored, or had databases corrupted, or had a 507(?) whitescreen. Worst case: revert to previous version and install it, restore backup, reinstall the new version, resend registration and service books, and everything's golden. No idea what the problem actually is -- probably timing issues, timeouts, or binary corruption during install.
    03-25-09 07:51 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD