06-11-10 02:24 PM
315 ... 10111213
tools
    I'd dump my S2 but I haven't managed to swallow it yet...
    *ba dum tshh*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-10 11:02 AM
    *ba dum tshh*

This forum needs more RIM shots...
    05-01-10 11:08 AM
    I received my Incredible on launch day. I miss BBM but at the same time it's so nice to have a really responsive device. I don't truly know the Storm2 however, as my profile shows, I have the original Storm, but I know there wasn't any WebKit browser, Google turn-by-turn directions, or Flash for that matter(not that Flash is a big deal).

So far, BBM and the better context menu are the things I'm missing, but I don't see myself going back to my Storm1 or moving to the Storm2 or whatever BB device unless RIM steps up their software game. The Storm was my first Blackberry and I absolutely still love the thing, but I don't like the fact that they couldn't throw us Storm1 users a bone with software updates. It STILL doesn't work as advertised way back in November of 2008. The 8830 and 8330 have seen updates well into their lifetimes yet Storm1 is dead in the water after barely a year? Bah.

BBOS 6.0 looks pretty cool, but the way I see it, Android/Sense won me over and now BlackberryOS needs to wow me to bring me back so I'll wait until I get it in my hands.

I'm also interested to see what Microsoft will do at the end of this year. I'm not too thrilled about Apple's iPhone anymore but if they ever come to Verizon Wireless, I'll take a look at least.
    05-02-10 07:42 PM
    I've had the Droid for 5 months. I actually had several Android phones prior to the Droid. I thought about getting the Incredible, but a smaller battery than the Droid killed it. So I'm switching to a S2...had the S1 for a while and had no real issues with it. Android is great...but I miss the email capabilities of BB.
    05-03-10 03:53 AM
    For the guys that switched and use gmail, make sure you download gmail notifier so that it rings for every email instead of only the first email that hits the inbox.
    05-03-10 05:32 AM
    Not me, I actually tried the droid for a couple of months and I'm back to my 9550. Nothing is more irritating than FC's...geez.
    05-03-10 06:49 AM
    I get my Incredible on Wednesday. I played with it in the store for an hour and fell in love with it. To many issues with the Storm 2 and after 8 replacements in a 6 month period, I said enough. Email is important but not that important. The Incredible is fast and smooth in everything it did. I really like Blackberry and I never thought I would leave it but once I played with the Incredible, I realized how far behind RIM is to the competion. I might go back to Blackberry if they can get the Storm 3 right. If not, I'll just stick with the droid. I'll see after OS6 drops, whether I will come back to BB.
    Last edited by sezaro21; 05-03-10 at 09:41 PM.
    05-03-10 08:38 AM
    was tempted to try the Incredible....but only for a brief moment. I need the business aspects of my BB. The phone looks nice, but I'm waiting to se OS 6 drop. Hopeful.....
    05-03-10 08:42 AM
    sounds like your boss has a combo of really bad luck and a lack of patience. does YOUR S2 do what his did? Mine doesn't. My wife's doesn't...

LOL; you don't even know the man and nailed that one! Yes, he's quite impatient and seems to have bad luck with ANYTHING techy.

Nope, my S2 has been great so far, and all of his associates/friends that have one love theirs. I really felt like he should've given the S2 another chance via a replacement, but oh well.
    05-03-10 09:29 AM
    Do you not get facebook alerts on the Incredible? I guess I had thought about email but not about FB..
    No, on my Moto Droid and HTC Incredible, there are no visible notifications for FB. i.e. on BB, you get an icon in the status area of the home screen, and an * on the FB app icon. On the droid & incredible, nothing unless I go into the FB app, select notifications, and hit Refresh.... FB does send email alerts, which the droid receives. When I click on the links they include, it takes me to the mobile FB site. (So why have the app installed on the Droid or Incredible?)

I could live without BT VAD, although that's because I don't use a BT headset. I did just order the Plantronics 975 today, thanks to the Verizon 24-Hr sale site. Lol
    Yes, this is one thing I don't like about the Droid, Incredible and Eris. With the Moto Devour, Moto licensed Nuance VSuite (like we have on our BB's). Not sure why Moto and HTC haven't licensed this for ALL of their android devices.
    On Droids, are you limited to 160 character texts?
    To be honest, I had to check this. I don't seem to have a need to text over 160 characters, so I never hit the limit on my storm.

On the incredible, when I first start a text message, it counts down from 160/1 in the upper right... as I kept typing and typing.. I realized it went to 133/2 ... so it automatically counted down from 160.. down to 0, then split to 160/2 and I didn't realize it.. So, no there isn't a 160 character limit.. I didn't keep going to actually find a limit...
    This is how I feel.. I renewed my contract and got the S2 knowing that the Droid was right around the corner, I ONLY had eyes for BB. Now I'm sort of asking myself "Yeah, the S2 is a nice phone, but I did turn down a well performing phone, why?"
    If your current phone works for you and meets your needs.. Then you got the right phone.
    05-03-10 10:25 AM
    Evidently not easy enough for you. I can point out phone features too but you didnt answer anything.

What can that phone do that the Storm 2 cannot? Other than browsing?

Nothing.

Again, I like the Incredible and would even consider getting one if my contract was up (Driod is sweet, it really is) but there is nothing groundbreaking on any smart phone at the moment that makes them "leaps and bounds ahead of blackberry" other than the browser.

All the fanboyism over smart phones is rediculous. Tell me something like "the droid incredible will type emails for you while ordering premium steaks on the internet as you get hungry and blackberry cannot" or something.

Something anecdotal would be better than "it is better, because it is better".
    To your point....

The Incredible can/does take better pictures than the Storm2.

There are more apps to pick from in Android market (BB's seem more scattered, visit CB's store or Handango, or RIM's app store, or???).

The Incredible's web browser renders pages better, and the higher screen resolution helps the experience too.

The Incredible, or android 2.1 devices, do have the Voice To Text features when composing email and sms messages... The BB, you'd have to get an add on app for this (Dragon just make one available for BB).

Android has Google maps navigation for free..

But you are right.. its nothing "earth shattering." There are many features, that while they BOTH can do them, one phone does it better than the other... I think its those little trade offs that one has to use to form THEIR OWN OPINION which phone works best for them.

I don't think there is one CLEAR WINNER between say the Storm2 or Incredible, or Moto Droid, or....

(except for the Browser... I can add Opera or Bolt onto the Storm to bring the browser experience of the Storm close to that of Incredible, but the Incredible's screen resolution makes it more pleasing... i.e. Storm with Opera or Bolt is more like the Moto Devour and its browser due to screen resolution)
    05-03-10 10:41 AM
    No, on my Moto Droid and HTC Incredible, there are no visible notifications for FB. i.e. on BB, you get an icon in the status area of the home screen, and an * on the FB app icon. On the droid & incredible, nothing unless I go into the FB app, select notifications, and hit Refresh.... FB does send email alerts, which the droid receives. When I click on the links they include, it takes me to the mobile FB site. (So why have the app installed on the Droid or Incredible?)

Yes, this is one thing I don't like about the Droid, Incredible and Eris. With the Moto Devour, Moto licensed Nuance VSuite (like we have on our BB's). Not sure why Moto and HTC haven't licensed this for ALL of their android devices.
    To be honest, I had to check this. I don't seem to have a need to text over 160 characters, so I never hit the limit on my storm.

On the incredible, when I first start a text message, it counts down from 160/1 in the upper right... as I kept typing and typing.. I realized it went to 133/2 ... so it automatically counted down from 160.. down to 0, then split to 160/2 and I didn't realize it.. So, no there isn't a 160 character limit.. I didn't keep going to actually find a limit...
    If your current phone works for you and meets your needs.. Then you got the right phone.
    Thanks for the answers. I picked up the Incredible Friday after work and got it activated. I love it so far.

There are only a few things so far that I wish the Incredible could do better/differently.
    1. Email. I don't use Gmail or Microsoft Exchange, so I have noticed that email is a little slower. Not a big deal though, I don't usually have any critical email needs.
    2. I like the portrait keyboard on the S2.. I'm trying to get comfortable with the portrait keyboard on the Incredible. I tried regular QWERTY, and its tough to hit the right keys, although it is GREAT at predicting/correcting, MUCH better than the S2. Now I'm trying to get used to the compact QWERTY keyboard, although it seems to have a little lag compared to the regular QWERTY keyboard.
    3. I use the S2 as an mp3 player at the gym and I love how you can hold down the volume rocker keys to skip tracks. I don't believe the Incredible does this.
    4. The LED on the S2 is much more visible
    5. Battery life MIGHT be an issue, we'll see as I get the phone broke in..

Otherwise.. the Incredible outdoes the S2.
    1. QUICK
    2. Wow this screen is great and clear. With all of the rumors about viewing the screen in direct sunlight, I've had no problem. I do have a widget to change the brightness depending on ambient light.
    3. Browser.. WOW. But you guys already know this.. not only is it fast, and capable of Flash, but it also renders the pages beautifully, unlike the S2.
    4. Google maps.. I thought the S2's Google Maps was great, compared to my Pearl's Google Maps which could only locate me based off of cell towers. The Google Maps on the Incredible is awesome, and loads MUCH faster than on the S2. It also has many better features, including Navigation. I was blown away just by the fact it could tell which direction I was facing, whereas with the S2 I had to be moving just to get an arrow instead of the little blue ball.
    5. Camera... sure beats the S2's camera. I know some of you say that the 8MP is uesless, but 3.2MP is useless when the S2 allows all sorts of dust under the lens. It takes great pics, and nice video from what I've experienced so far.
    6. Apps. Another area in which Incredible wins. For the S2, some of the simplest programs cost money. For the incredible, there's a program for almost everything I want to do, and its FREE. IF I could even find similar apps for my S2, to buy everything I have on my Incredible I'd have spent $50+ by now.
    7. Downloading/Installing. The Incredible downloads, and then installs apps in half the time, and doesn't freeze constantly while doing so.

The Incredible is truly much more snappier when navigating through the OS/Apps. I had the latest hybrids on my S2 and it still couldn't touch how quickly this phone does things.

I loved my S2, and thought the world of it. I'm not a fanboy of any device. However, I have realized in the past week or 2 just how much some members on here experience denial. Denial when they claim the S2 is the best smartphone available, or that it will be with the release of OS6. I look forward to seeing what OS6 brings to Crackberry, but right now I really don't buy into it that its going to be a big enough change to put Blackberry back in competition.

I was hesitant, but curious. I paid $450 for a New In Box Incredible on Friday, without a contract. I figured I would at least try it, and sell it if I didn't like the experience. After only a weekend, I love it though. I will be unlocking and selling my S2 + accessories. The S2 has some sentimental value, and I think it is aesthetically appealing, but the Incredible is just as appealing in my opinion, and it offers much better performance.
    Last edited by 01Ranger; 05-03-10 at 01:12 PM.
    05-03-10 01:08 PM
    I think 01Ranger your review is unbiased and fair.
    05-03-10 01:13 PM
    I think 01Ranger your review is unbiased and fair.
    Sarcasm???
    05-03-10 01:47 PM
    Sarcasm???
    nope. not at all.
    I have used palm os, wm standard, bb and tonight android .
    I think all have pluses and minuses and there isn't one perfect device for everyone.
    I want webos on a bb device but that is wishful thinking.

I may return to bb but it doesn't meet my needs, but may meet someone else's which is fine.
    05-03-10 01:51 PM
    Thanks for the answers. I picked up the Incredible Friday after work and got it activated. I love it so far.

There are only a few things so far that I wish the Incredible could do better/differently.
    1. Email. I don't use Gmail or Microsoft Exchange, so I have noticed that email is a little slower. Not a big deal though, I don't usually have any critical email needs.
    2. I like the portrait keyboard on the S2.. I'm trying to get comfortable with the portrait keyboard on the Incredible. I tried regular QWERTY, and its tough to hit the right keys, although it is GREAT at predicting/correcting, MUCH better than the S2. Now I'm trying to get used to the compact QWERTY keyboard, although it seems to have a little lag compared to the regular QWERTY keyboard.
    3. I use the S2 as an mp3 player at the gym and I love how you can hold down the volume rocker keys to skip tracks. I don't believe the Incredible does this.

1. QUICK
    2. Wow this screen is great and clear. With all of the rumors about viewing the screen in direct sunlight, I've had no problem. I do have a widget to change the brightness depending on ambient light.
    3. Browser.. WOW. But you guys already know this.. not only is it fast, and capable of Flash, but it also renders the pages beautifully, unlike the S2.
    4. Google maps.. I thought the S2's Google Maps was great, compared to my Pearl's Google Maps which could only locate me based off of cell towers. The Google Maps on the Incredible is awesome, and loads MUCH faster than on the S2. It also has many better features, including Navigation. I was blown away just by the fact it could tell which direction I was facing, whereas with the S2 I had to be moving just to get an arrow instead of the little blue ball.
    5. Camera... sure beats the S2's camera. I know some of you say that the 8MP is uesless, but 3.2MP is useless when the S2 allows all sorts of dust under the lens. It takes great pics, and nice video from what I've experienced so far.
    6. Apps. Another area in which Incredible wins. For the S2, some of the simplest programs cost money. For the incredible, there's a program for almost everything I want to do, and its FREE. IF I could even find similar apps for my S2, to buy everything I have on my Incredible I'd have spent $50+ by now.
    7. Downloading/Installing. The Incredible downloads, and then installs apps in half the time, and doesn't freeze constantly while doing so.

The Incredible is truly much more snappier when navigating through the OS/Apps. I had the latest hybrids on my S2 and it still couldn't touch how quickly this phone does things.

I loved my S2, and thought the world of it. I'm not a fanboy of any device. However, I have realized in the past week or 2 just how much some members on here experience denial. Denial when they claim the S2 is the best smartphone available, or that it will be with the release of OS6. I look forward to seeing what OS6 brings to Crackberry, but right now I really don't buy into it that its going to be a big enough change to put Blackberry back in competition.

I was hesitant, but curious. I paid $450 for a New In Box Incredible on Friday, without a contract. I figured I would at least try it, and sell it if I didn't like the experience. After only a weekend, I love it though. I will be unlocking and selling my S2 + accessories. The S2 has some sentimental value, and I think it is aesthetically appealing, but the Incredible is just as appealing in my opinion, and it offers much better performance.
    If you read in the previous pages I too was I guess you can say in denial about my S2 not being soo great till I saw how smooth apps ran on the Incredible. The only problem i've had with it is the Push Emails since I do need information on my phone alot, but other than that, i'm Incredibly satisfied with having jumped ship

It takes a while to get use to the new interface and all of the features the Incredible comes with, but it only took me two situations for it to show me how Amazing this phone is......1) I sometimes have to drive into L.A and back to where I live (45 miles away) and am always running Pandora or Slacker radio. With the S2, it constantly kept breaking up and freezing on my, sometimes soo bad that I simply shut it off and preffered to listen to my engine sounds (///M3) heehee....2) While out to a meeting, I quickly had to run by a bank and make a deposit, I hit the maps button and searched for the nearest U.S bank and voila! Free turn by turn navigation on the fly within seconds! I wouldn't have been able to do any of that with my S2 out and about.

Long story short, the BBerry is a very solid piece of technology that continues to get better and is great for what it does and nothing more BUSINESS! The Sure press is great and luckily for me I never had any glitches or problems with my S2 so I was extremely happy and it ran smoothly for the most part. I continue to miss it, but only because it holds a bit of sentimental value and feel horrible that I could not simply wait for what has now been labeled as the savior "6.0 OS", but quickly came to the realization that the S2 simply wasn't going to improve soooooooooooooo much that it would give the Incredible a run for its money so I switched over.

I wish all of you the best of luck and I continue to be a fan of the BBerry for those of you who have stuck it out with having to have 5 minute reboot times, having quick pull as the most downloaded app in BBerry world, not being able to render a web page in respectable time nor being able to enjoy the beautiful world of what BBerry can be by a product that is simply not up to spec at this time!
    05-03-10 04:37 PM

1. QUICK

perfect, basically you addressed some of my concerns from being a bb to android user. I am planning to make the switch. Not that i dont love my storm 2, but i have had alot of problems with my phone. I have had quite a few replacements and just cant deal with switching out devices all the time. Thats not to say the incredible is built better but its worth a try in my eyes.
    05-03-10 04:47 PM
    perfect, basically you addressed some of my concerns from being a bb to android user. I am planning to make the switch. Not that i dont love my storm 2, but i have had alot of problems with my phone. I have had quite a few replacements and just cant deal with switching out devices all the time. Thats not to say the incredible is built better but its worth a try in my eyes.
    I'm glad I could help.

I too was concerned but am happy I switched.

I thought the S2 had too many quality flaws. On paper it was great but after this incredible, the S2 feels cheaply constructed. It's way to soon to tell if the HTC will have quality issues of its own though.
    05-03-10 07:04 PM
    Took a week long android trial and came away (like other) happy about some things and disappointed in others. As someone who depends on this for their business, the Incredible just isn't ready for that, IMO. While I will miss the screen, the overall look and snappiness, I won't miss other things.

The two biggest things are battery life (yes there are replacement batteries) and poor integration of Google's own (and required) calendar! The batteries last only 5-6 hours of moderate use (my storm lasted 2x that). We happen to use Google's calendar at work already, so I thought this would be an easy change-over. Our calendar is recurrent - every fourth week. When someone is out of town, the schedule changes. We go in and change the recurrent appointment with a one-time replacement. When that syncs to my phone, I get the old (deleted) one and the new one, leading to confusion on the work schedule. This probably isn't a big deal to most, but considering that this is GOOGLE's calendar not interacting well with GOOGLE's phone when BlackBerry, Outlook and Mac OSX do it just fine as third parties, it is a bit concerning...not to mention the 'failsafe' HTC Sync software for your computer doesn't even work for most people (see Android forums)...it wouldn't even recognize my device, and I installed it twice.

It also doesn't sync with Outlook's tasks or notes (if you need them).

Like all phones nowadays, calls produce a photo of the incoming and outgoing caller. Not so with the Incredible unless you dial the area code with all of your local calls. Incoming calls work 100% of the time, but outgoings only if you dial all 10 digits. I checked all of my contacts and tried multiple variants xxx xxx xxxx, xxx-xxx-xxxx, (xxx) xxx-xxxx, etc., but nothing worked. So simple, but really shows the thought in this device....all other phones do this, don't they?

That's all I can think of....I still REALLY want this phone but it is gonna have to be more useful....when happens I'll likely be back. Until then, I'm happy to be back with my Storm2

**Oh, I really missed Bedside Mode and the cradles that displayed as a clock and the fact that sound preferences were changed when you dock it so it doesn't wake you at all hours. Incredible DOES have a cradle listed as an accessory, but they arent around yet...who knows if they will be. While the Incredible certainly has more horsepower, the S2 is just more of a refined/finished product.
    Last edited by ckelly33; 06-02-10 at 06:52 PM.
    06-02-10 05:13 PM
    If you read in the previous pages I too was I guess you can say in denial about my S2 not being soo great till I saw how smooth apps ran on the Incredible. The only problem i've had with it is the Push Emails since I do need information on my phone alot, but other than that, i'm Incredibly satisfied with having jumped ship

It takes a while to get use to the new interface and all of the features the Incredible comes with, but it only took me two situations for it to show me how Amazing this phone is......1) I sometimes have to drive into L.A and back to where I live (45 miles away) and am always running Pandora or Slacker radio. With the S2, it constantly kept breaking up and freezing on my, sometimes soo bad that I simply shut it off and preffered to listen to my engine sounds (///M3) heehee....2) While out to a meeting, I quickly had to run by a bank and make a deposit, I hit the maps button and searched for the nearest U.S bank and voila! Free turn by turn navigation on the fly within seconds! I wouldn't have been able to do any of that with my S2 out and about.

Long story short, the BBerry is a very solid piece of technology that continues to get better and is great for what it does and nothing more BUSINESS! The Sure press is great and luckily for me I never had any glitches or problems with my S2 so I was extremely happy and it ran smoothly for the most part. I continue to miss it, but only because it holds a bit of sentimental value and feel horrible that I could not simply wait for what has now been labeled as the savior "6.0 OS", but quickly came to the realization that the S2 simply wasn't going to improve soooooooooooooo much that it would give the Incredible a run for its money so I switched over.

I wish all of you the best of luck and I continue to be a fan of the BBerry for those of you who have stuck it out with having to have 5 minute reboot times, having quick pull as the most downloaded app in BBerry world, not being able to render a web page in respectable time nor being able to enjoy the beautiful world of what BBerry can be by a product that is simply not up to spec at this time!

that's odd--I play pandora for hours at a time on my S2 and it works just FINE.
    06-02-10 06:01 PM
    Gonna make that change just want to try it out I guess and see how it goes but I love what google is doing in 2010 with the os ...android..google tv...might get everything google

06-02-10 06:50 PM
    Gonna make that change just want to try it out I guess and see how it goes but I love what google is doing in 2010 with the os ...android..google tv...might get everything google

I suspect we'll eventually have Google TV's and Google microwave ovens, to name but two devices that haven't yet been assimilated.
    06-02-10 06:53 PM
    Been using BB for over year now and frankly I'm fed up. Going to switch for sure unless iPhone comes out - for me it serves the purpose just as BB and Droid would... I just need something reliable. Lastly, I need to be able to respond to many messages rather urgently as they have time restraints (my job requires me to)... therefore I need something which will not get stuck on the side screen (Storm OS 607).
    06-02-10 09:00 PM

1. QUICK

Very nicely put and well-written. I agree with you to much extent though at some points I"m unsure as I have not observed them in hands on experience yet. Whatever it maybe, IMO if the device acts fast and does the most basic needs fast then only is the device good... from your review it seems I will consider the Incredible (depends on what else comes out) when my contract ends in under a year.
    06-02-10 09:05 PM
    I had mines since the 28 of april only real problem for me is battery which verizon is taking care of for me( they are giving me the free 2100 mah battery when it comes out) and the sound profile i really miss the sound profile and the notification being connected meaning your calendar, texts and email has to be the same volume which is stupid. I really like this device but I can barely see it outside really other than that its good.
    06-02-10 09:32 PM
315 ... 10111213
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD