email = active sync

wifi = yes

camera = 5mp on HTC, idk about the moto one yet...
    Definitely 5MP on the Droid. You can see it in one of the images at BGR.
    10-19-09 10:36 PM
    Not for Android, but possibly for Maemo 5 (another Linux distribution) in the form of the Nokia N900. Phone looks great, but of course I want to test it first.
    Its not that I don't like my Storm, but its time for something new.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 02:41 AM
    Right now I'm leaning toward the "jump ship" category, but I need to touch one first.
    10-20-09 06:40 AM
    I'm 99.9% sure my next phone will be an Andriod one, w/ the 5.0 release's for the storm i've grown to like it, but i see more potential in Andriod. I like to teanker with my device's and tweak them. installing leaked OSes and Hybrids really don't cut it for me. I hate to say this but i kinda settled for the Storm just because there was nothing else out on verizon that really caught my eye. Also the storm two really just looks like more of the same, maybe what the original storm should have launched with but nothing thats a giant leap ahead.
    Last edited by Abra Cadaver; 10-20-09 at 06:54 AM.
    10-20-09 06:51 AM
    I will definitely be getting an Android phone next...but my question is with the Moto Droid, why so many complaints about the slide out keyboard? do you guys realize that the phone is slightly thicker than the iPhone 3gs but still has a keyboard? this thing is really thin plus the keyboard is a bonus...you really don't have to use it being that you will have a virtual keyboard on the screen (both in potrait and landscape)...so I really don't understand the thinking that the keyboard looks like crap or it's just a waste of space when in reality it's one of the thinnest phones with one and you still have an option to either use it or just hide it...
    10-20-09 07:52 AM
    not me. it's a boring looking phone, the keys look uncomfortable and to be quite honest the OS does nothing for me. JMO
    10-20-09 08:10 AM
    That moto phone doesnt do anything for me

but I am excited to see what the next 12-18 months brings to the smart phone market, android device on 4g would probably be when i would jump. we'll see what rim brings out in the meantime
    10-20-09 08:52 AM
    Tough decision, because the droid does look cool. For us storm users know what the S2 is going to be like esspicially who's running .230. Just have to wait and go see it when it comes out.

10-20-09 09:49 AM
    i think rim will be losing alot of customers because they are taking so long to get the s2 out. verizon doesnt care. they are more exited about the droid. they dont care about the s2. i will get a droid if the price is right and if i dont get anything as far as discounts for the s2. t he droid is already having commercials and the s2 has nothing. the s2 wont be that different from the s1. with .230. i think the s2 will be a dissapoinyment and verizon knows it. all that saod i love my s1 with .230.
    10-20-09 10:44 AM
    I think it looks like a great phone. My problem is that I'm on a BES, and would have no way of automatically syncing emails, calendar and contacts.

10-20-09 10:53 AM
    Does the countdown read 07 days XX XX now????
    10-20-09 11:00 AM
    see that is my thing. It doesnt look all that good in its current state. The OS doesnt impress me too much either. All this will change over the next year though. Which should have changes for all devices for every company.
    10-20-09 11:18 AM
    I was thinking about it for awhile. Then I found out Motorola is making it. Past experience tells me to stay away. I'd need to get a working (fully-functional) model in my hands first.
    10-20-09 11:27 AM
    My upgrade's coming in March. There tons of lots of nice looking phones coming out in the next few months between the Xperia X3, HD2, N900, 9700... I have considered them all and will put them through a test at the store and probably end up switching to Android (or Maemo). I just really like it.
    Last edited by codito; 10-20-09 at 11:36 AM.
    10-20-09 11:34 AM
    Don't count on the N900 getting onto verizon's network. Right now the only radio that supports it is T-mobile's. If Nokia made that phone work on Verizon I would jump on that in a heart beat. The N900 is the most advanced phone out there.

Having said all that, I'm very very frustrated with my Storm. It's slow as ****, no matter what I do with it. The droid looks promising, and if the browser has flash and is faster than my ipod touch on wifi, then I might switch.

There is a very short list of the things I wouldn't give up for the N900 on Verizon's network.
    10-20-09 11:49 AM
    I'm VERY interesting in switching and here's why. The droid is not an incremental spec jump compared to the Storm2 (or iphone as well), It's a MAJOR hardware leapfrog.

Look at the specs.

Screen -
    S2: 3.1 inch 480x360 65,000 color depth
    Droid: 3.7 inch 480x854 (Yes 854) 16 million color depth

Camera -
    S2: 3.2 mpx with LED flash
    Droid: 5 mpx with dual xenon flash

Ram -
    S2: 256 meg
    Droid: 512 meg

Cpu -
    S2: same 'ol qualcomm 528 mhz
    Droid: First android phone with an OMAP3430

OS -
    S2: 5.0 (which leaves us little to look forward to, because we've been running it leaked for months)
    Droid: First Android device with OS 2.0

The droid is a serious piece of hardware, not just a phone with similar specs to the competition and "a little better camera". Rim will bleed market share if they keep on their current course of painfully slow hardware increments and near identical device releases. (Seriously the diff between a Bold and Tour is negligible)

Anyway, although I'm a HARDCORE berry addict, I'll have to take a look at the Droid. Here are a few make or break things for me.

1) Is it a world phone?
    2) How does the keyboard feel?
    3) How is the messaging? (Currently Android has a separate gmail section, and another for the rest of your accts. Kind of annoying)
    4) Is there push? Or is the pull good enough?
    5) Battery life
    6) Camera quality
    7) Call and overall phone quality, obviously

Lots of things look good on paper, and the droid certainly does. I'll wait until it hits the real world, review the feedback, and make my decision from there.
    10-20-09 11:49 AM
    I'm definately thinking about going for an Android phone, I'm on my second Storm as of one month ago and without touching the thing I'm getting 20mb memory drops during the day, I can't get my head around the fact that doing battery pulls everyday is a reality on a smartphone. One of my Jesus phone using friends couldn't understand why I needed an app to tell me how much memory I've lost and another app to do a battery pull, and you know what neither do I :-)
    I just have this gut feeling that the S2 is not going to be a big step up from the S1, the S1 should have had wifi, should have had at least 256mb for apps and the OS, so I'd be putting out probably at least 200 Euros for a slightly better phone? As a previous poster said I want my phone to work, and be stable when I need to use it, I want each OS update to add new potential to the phone not just fix something that's broken, I don't want to be constantly trying some leaked OS! Android 1.6 was just released and there are two major updates coming soon, each revision has included several new features and updates to the UI (RIM's UI is frozen in time).
    I was just thinking today how having a Google-centric phone makes sense to me, much of what I do revolves around Google services, I use a Gmail account for work, Google calender for scheduling, Google Docs to share work with my students, Google maps to get me to my next job and oh yeah Opera Mini browser for the rest ;-) I don't have BES and there's not much on BIS that can't be replaced.
    So, I just don't think RIM is putting enough energy into really radically updating anything, all the new phones seem to be retreads of what went before. They got a lot of new customers on the expectation of the S1 being a really great phone out of the box but they blew it (harsh but true, I bought mine the day it came out and in a week was ready to throw it against the wall), yes they still have their core enterprise clients, but I bet there's a lot of their new non-business customers are going to jump ship. There's a lot of new tech and phones coming down the pipe that will smoke the S2.
    Vodafone has a deal on the HTC Magic right now, I'm going to borrow one from a friend to check out and see how it rolls. I'll wait for the Crackberry users of the S2 to give their opinions before I make my decision, but it's going to have to be 5 stars all round to get me to stay with RIM.
    10-20-09 11:57 AM
    All good points. Is those of us on the BES that are at the disadvantage. So for me, the storm has been the best mix of work functionality and extras.

Secretly, though I'd love to try another smart phone.

10-20-09 12:01 PM
    Android 2.0 has native MS exchange support. I don't know what this means exactly, so it's something worth looking in to.
    10-20-09 12:17 PM
    Very simple! It's the software stupid!

Blackberry OS is obsolete unless they start from scratch. It does not matter if RIM comes out with the Storm 9 or 99.
    10-20-09 02:12 PM
    i'll have to play with it for a while
    10-20-09 02:38 PM
    I'm definately thinking about going for an Android phone, I'm on my second Storm as of one month ago and without touching the thing I'm getting 20mb memory drops during the day, I can't get my head around the fact that doing battery pulls everyday is a reality on a smartphone. One of my Jesus phone using friends couldn't understand why I needed an app to tell me how much memory I've lost and another app to do a battery pull, and you know what neither do I :-)
    I just have this gut feeling that the S2 is not going to be a big step up from the S1, the S1 should have had wifi, should have had at least 256mb for apps and the OS, so I'd be putting out probably at least 200 Euros for a slightly better phone? As a previous poster said I want my phone to work, and be stable when I need to use it, I want each OS update to add new potential to the phone not just fix something that's broken, I don't want to be constantly trying some leaked OS! Android 1.6 was just released and there are two major updates coming soon, each revision has included several new features and updates to the UI (RIM's UI is frozen in time).
    I was just thinking today how having a Google-centric phone makes sense to me, much of what I do revolves around Google services, I use a Gmail account for work, Google calender for scheduling, Google Docs to share work with my students, Google maps to get me to my next job and oh yeah Opera Mini browser for the rest ;-) I don't have BES and there's not much on BIS that can't be replaced.
    So, I just don't think RIM is putting enough energy into really radically updating anything, all the new phones seem to be retreads of what went before. They got a lot of new customers on the expectation of the S1 being a really great phone out of the box but they blew it (harsh but true, I bought mine the day it came out and in a week was ready to throw it against the wall), yes they still have their core enterprise clients, but I bet there's a lot of their new non-business customers are going to jump ship. There's a lot of new tech and phones coming down the pipe that will smoke the S2.
    Vodafone has a deal on the HTC Magic right now, I'm going to borrow one from a friend to check out and see how it rolls. I'll wait for the Crackberry users of the S2 to give their opinions before I make my decision, but it's going to have to be 5 stars all round to get me to stay with RIM.
    Well you're right about the S2 not being a big jump from the S1. They aren't far apart at all.

But as for the mem leaks and need for quickpull, I'd check into that. It's definitely not normal operation. It's either a problem with the OS software on the phone, a hardware issue, or how you are using the software.
    10-20-09 04:31 PM
    Yeah...I like the spec's and the technology with the new Motorola. Supposedly out in November...and I'll be first in line.

5 replacements of the S1 since Feb 2009...Rim left a really bad taste in my mouth. Don't think I'll get another BB.

S
    10-20-09 10:36 PM
    Thank for posting this comparison on the Spec's. I am seriously considering jumping ship based on the differences. But, i've learned my lesson with the
    S1. I will not be making any impulsive decisions

I'm VERY interesting in switching and here's why. The droid is not an incremental spec jump compared to the Storm2 (or iphone as well), It's a MAJOR hardware leapfrog.

Look at the specs.

Screen -
    S2: 3.1 inch 480x360 65,000 color depth
    Droid: 3.7 inch 480x854 (Yes 854) 16 million color depth

Camera -
    S2: 3.2 mpx with LED flash
    Droid: 5 mpx with dual xenon flash

Ram -
    S2: 256 meg
    Droid: 512 meg

Cpu -
    S2: same 'ol qualcomm 528 mhz
    Droid: First android phone with an OMAP3430

OS -
    S2: 5.0 (which leaves us little to look forward to, because we've been running it leaked for months)
    Droid: First Android device with OS 2.0

The droid is a serious piece of hardware, not just a phone with similar specs to the competition and "a little better camera". Rim will bleed market share if they keep on their current course of painfully slow hardware increments and near identical device releases. (Seriously the diff between a Bold and Tour is negligible)

Anyway, although I'm a HARDCORE berry addict, I'll have to take a look at the Droid. Here are a few make or break things for me.

1) Is it a world phone?
    2) How does the keyboard feel?
    3) How is the messaging? (Currently Android has a separate gmail section, and another for the rest of your accts. Kind of annoying)
    4) Is there push? Or is the pull good enough?
    5) Battery life
    6) Camera quality
    7) Call and overall phone quality, obviously

Lots of things look good on paper, and the droid certainly does. I'll wait until it hits the real world, review the feedback, and make my decision from there.
    10-20-09 11:55 PM
    Well you're right about the S2 not being a big jump from the S1. They aren't far apart at all.

But as for the mem leaks and need for quickpull, I'd check into that. It's definitely not normal operation. It's either a problem with the OS software on the phone, a hardware issue, or how you are using the software.
    Thanks for the reply but I wish it was that simple, but I've had exactly the same problems on both of my Storms (on the first the screen died), as have 2 friends of mine that have it and one of my wife's coworkers who has a Curve.
    Just look at the number of posts that recommend pulling the battery/using QuickPull, and the number regarding memory leaks, this is definitely a major problem with this phone.
    I don't do anything weird with the phone, take calls, update the calender, just generally switch around from app to app, there are no 3rd party apps residing in memory or that auto startup, any other apps that I run I exit out of...what more can I do?!
    10-21-09 08:20 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD