I upgraded from an iphone 3g to the 9550. I know others have done the same, let's hear why.

Here are my three main reasons:
    1. Battery life on the iphone licks ***. No matter what OS you're running. Absolutely embarrassing. And the battery can't be replaced.
    2. I prefer the Surepress screen on the Storm. The iphone is way too sensitive and I always find myself making unintended inputs, accidental double taps, and accidental pocket dialing. I gave the iphone to my wife and now I'm always getting calls from her purse.
    3. Phone quality. Hey it's a phone, you should be able to clearly hear the caller and they should be able to hear you. I had countless people complaining that they were having trouble hearing me on the iphone (haven't had one complaint yet with the Storm) I also had a lot of trouble hearing on the iphone. I often had to put it on speaker phone if there was any ambient noise. Using the headphones helped me hear, but people on the other end still complained they couldn't hear me.

Apple better pick up their game or it's gonna be hello RIM when it's time to replace the wife's phone this fall. What good is a smart phone if it sucks as a phone?
    04-27-10 07:03 PM
    I have replaced both iPhones for storm 2s. Reason being ATT is terrible. LOved my phone, hated the service. I've heard Verizon will be receiving iPhones soon and I will be the first in line to get one. I think an iPhone with Verizon wil be hard to beat.
    04-27-10 11:44 PM
    If the iPhone wasn't on such an unreliable carrier I'd most likely have 1 or two. But I can't stand AT&T in my area.
    04-27-10 11:58 PM
    The iPhone guys will get mad at me, but I just can't stand them. My partner has one (3G) and I've tried to like it, but I always want to throw it under a truck or something. My list of complaints would be similar to yours:

The earpiece speaker is way too weak.

Call quality is the ishts. Calls have pauses in them where neither person can hear anything for several seconds at a time. It drops calls constantly, even when not moving.

I hate the screen on it. I looks terrible (dull and washed out) and it feels cheap. When I tap on it it feels and sounds like I'm tapping on the plastic display for a stereo receiver or something.

I hate the lack of convenience keys.

I hate the way it feels in my hands. The shape just doesn't agree with me and it's awkward to hold up to my ear (the 4G proto we've seen looks like it will be easier to hold).

It's always plugged into the charger. ALWAYS! Might as well just get a land line...lol!

Email sucks on it. If I send an email to gmail, he gets it 5 hours later.

Anyway, my biggest beef with the iPhone is the phone part. Even a short two minute phone call is painful.

But apparently it does Twitter well? WTF?
    04-28-10 01:41 AM
    Storm 2 > Iphone all day everyday

But then you'll get the fanbois who will argue for their IToy as having a much LARGER app base and much coooooler game selection. So different crowds will have different preference definately......just a matter what you are looking for most out of a phone......
    04-28-10 06:05 AM
    I won't get mad at you, but I don't have any problems with mine.
    04-28-10 06:37 AM
    Storm 2 > Iphone all day everyday

But then you'll get the fanbois who will argue for their IToy as having a much LARGER app base and much coooooler game selection. So different crowds will have different preference definately......just a matter what you are looking for most out of a phone......
    No Apple fanboy here, but anyone in their right mind cannot argue that the Apple App base is lightyears ahead of the BlackBerry App base. Yeah, tons of fart and beer apps, but there are really fantastic games, excellent utilities, and really useful convenience and business applications to cover a wide range of what you want to do.

One app I miss a TON is the PocketPedia application. I read a lot of diverse collections of books, and it was super useful to have a list in my pocket of what I had, complete with pictures, folders for organizing (I did by Author), and then I could see what I had without having to try to remember it all. Sadly, Amazon pwnt them. PocketPedia 2 is simply a sad shadow of what it was.

But that's the kind of thing I wish was in the BlackBerry App store. Something like that, maybe where I could even take a picture of my books and put that with text / etc from Amazon / Barnes and Noble, etc... would be WAY nice.

I love my Storm 2. That doesn't mean that despite all that I love about it, there aren't things that Apple and the Droid have done right that I want my Storm to be able to do. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Edit: Yes, I do have an iPod Touch, and that's how i've used the App Store.
    04-28-10 09:52 AM
    I changed for almost exactly the same reasons as the OP, but my change probably had more to do with network. My fiance was unable to get a hold of me during an emergency (we both had iPhones, and she had no service in the middle of downtown Denver...). We switched to Verizon a few days later, and I have been quite happy with my Storm1 -> Storm2.

Who knows if I would have kept the iPhone if I had been able to move it with me to Verizon...but I absolutely agree with the three points that OP made, regarding battery life and call quality especially, and am happy to have made the switch.
    04-28-10 10:06 AM
    I currently use both the iPhone 3GS and the 9520 Storm2.

There are certainly different advantages to using either handset. The only thing holding me back from using the Storm2 as my only phone is the poor quality of apps when compared to the iPhone.

I use Telstra for my iPhone, which is the best carrier in Australia. While they're significantly more expensive than the competition, their quality of mobile service is undeniably excellent. I, and every other person using Telstra for their iPhone, have probably never experienced the problems AT&T users face. So it's not the iPhone, it's the carrier.

Now, the advantage to the iTunes App Store is that it allows users to easily change the store's country. For example, since I live in Australia, my default App Store would be the Australian App Store. This means that the US only apps would be hidden. However, I can easily switch to the US App store and buy whatever I want.

The major disadvantage to the BlackBerry App World is that it isn't user configurable, so I'm stuck in the Australian App World. It's seriously restrictive, in that about half the apps in App World is not available for Australians or that none of the paid apps are available for us to purchase.
    Last edited by MeshForce; 04-28-10 at 10:24 AM.
    04-28-10 10:10 AM
    No Apple fanboy here, but anyone in their right mind cannot argue that the Apple App base is lightyears ahead of the BlackBerry App base. Yeah, tons of fart and beer apps, but there are really fantastic games, excellent utilities, and really useful convenience and business applications to cover a wide range of what you want to do.

I can agree to this on some level, however the iPhone is more geared for entertainment more than anything else. I am not much for games, but yes the games are quite good. BB are and probably will never be on that same level as Apple, but they don't need to be. As far as the convenience and business apps, there really isn't a huge difference between devices.
    04-28-10 12:03 PM
    I upgraded from an iphone 3g to the 9550. I know others have done the same, let's hear why.

Here are my three main reasons:
    1. Battery life on the iphone licks ***. No matter what OS you're running. Absolutely embarrassing. And the battery can't be replaced.
    2. I prefer the Surepress screen on the Storm. The iphone is way too sensitive and I always find myself making unintended inputs, accidental double taps, and accidental pocket dialing. I gave the iphone to my wife and now I'm always getting calls from her purse.
    3. Phone quality. Hey it's a phone, you should be able to clearly hear the caller and they should be able to hear you. I had countless people complaining that they were having trouble hearing me on the iphone (haven't had one complaint yet with the Storm) I also had a lot of trouble hearing on the iphone. I often had to put it on speaker phone if there was any ambient noise. Using the headphones helped me hear, but people on the other end still complained they couldn't hear me.

Apple better pick up their game or it's gonna be hello RIM when it's time to replace the wife's phone this fall. What good is a smart phone if it sucks as a phone?
    In my house, we have the iPhone 3GS, Storm 2, Samsung Moment (with Android 2.1) and Curve 8530. I also flirted with Palm Pre Plus (yuck, best UI poor form factor). Anyway, let me stay on topic here. The best phone on that list is Storm 2 without a doubt. Yes, the App Store on iPhone have gazillion of apps. Heck, you can play an orchestra with an iPhone! So what? These gadgets are phone to begin with and if you cannot handle that why would try being 'smart'?

The way RIM devices handles phone calls and messaging services with the ability to add all the extra 'smart' stuff makes it hands down the best smartphone out there.

You don't believe me? Try leaving wifi, GPS on all day on any of the iPhone or Android devices, you can hardly go through to midday. The Storm 2 or Curve 8530, last at least 2 days with both wifi and gps on 24/7, moderate phone calls and messaging, constant Facebook updates, and web browsing.

Yes, the apps and all the games on both the iPhone and Android and more to come. Again, I say, it is a phone, stupid!
    04-28-10 12:27 PM
    Plain and simple, i just think the Iphone sucks. I mean if you love music and its your first passion that thats great. but for someon who is a mother of five, a full time volunteer, and a nursing student I need something that can keep up with me. and the storm2 does that
    04-28-10 12:49 PM
    I won't get mad at you, but I don't have any problems with mine.
    But you're on your 2nd iphone, you must have had some kind of problems.
    04-28-10 12:52 PM
    But you're on your 2nd iphone, you must have had some kind of problems.
    The first one had a problem loading the OS out of the box. They never could figure it out. The second one I have zero issues with.
    04-28-10 01:16 PM
    One thing: I had to laugh when I was visiting with some friends over the weekend and they had a TV show on, Donald Trump's "Celebrity Apprentice." In one scene, they showed one of the celebrities working on the project and she had three, count 'em, THREE phones going while she was busy working. One was a BB, could not tell which, but it may have been a Tour. The other was the Droid and the third was the iPhone. The BB and the Droid were laying on the desk. The iPhone? PLUGGED IN TO THE CHARGER, LOL!!!! Later in the show, they went back to her and it was the same thing, I had to laugh.

Ok, other than that, I refuse, REFUSE, to get into this debate yet again. Just how many times, and how many ways, can one have the exact same debate? There are, or have been, DOZENS of threads, all covering the same topic and even when the thread was not intended to do a comparison, it winds up turning in to one. I'm tired of it. Why are people so BENT and doing a comparison? What does it matter? And if one is curious about the differences, there are, as I said, a bazillion posts, from all perspectives, already done, going back several YEARS!

STOP feeling so insecure....enjoy your device (whatever it is...BB, iPhone, Droid, Palm...whatever).

The iPhone guys will get mad at me, but I just can't stand them. My partner has one (3G) and I've tried to like it, but I always want to throw it under a truck or something. My list of complaints would be similar to yours:

Call quality is the ishts. Calls have pauses in them where neither person can hear anything for several seconds at a time. It drops calls constantly, even when not moving.

I hate the screen on it. I looks terrible (dull and washed out) and it feels cheap. When I tap on it it feels and sounds like I'm tapping on the plastic display for a stereo receiver or something.

I hate the way it feels in my hands. The shape just doesn't agree with me and it's awkward to hold up to my ear (the 4G proto we've seen looks like it will be easier to hold).

It's always plugged into the charger. ALWAYS! Might as well just get a land line...lol!

Anyway, my biggest beef with the iPhone is the phone part. Even a short two minute phone call is painful.

04-28-10 01:26 PM
    I dumped my Storm2 for a 3GS.
    Out of the box, I would possibly choose to stick with the Storm. But once you jailbreak your iPhone, it has a million more capabilities that the Storm 2 cant compete with. I found myself so frustrated with my Storm for so many different reasons it boggled my mind. If RIM can make the Storm 3 work as flawlessly as the iPhone does, then we are talking. Until then I just do not have the time or patience to deal with the Storm.

I really want to like the Storm line, I just don't think it is in a the same league as the 3GS quite yet. Heres to hoping.
    04-28-10 01:52 PM
    I dont like the comparison between different BRANDS of phones I.E. Android, Blackberry, and iPhone. I feel like they cater to certain people and have distinct qualities about them that attract certain people. Personally the reason i keep the blackberry is because of BBM solely! I just love this feature....The reason I got the iPhone was because of its VAST amount of FREE Apps....There is never a way to be bored with an Iphone. I got a Android phone because it was new and cool...their OS is stunning and is fun to use. With OS 6.0 for the BBs they are going more towards a IPHONE/Android feel which is great! The only thing BBs need to change is the amount of free apps.
    04-28-10 03:07 PM
    Aww cmon, admit it people. Nobody in their right mind would throw an iPhone under a truck, even if it is not the most convenient hardware to use as a phone.
    Nobody can deny this is/was an amazing trend setting piece of technology.

I will bet the majority of you chose not to get an iPhone mostly because you are irritated by iPhone users arrogant ways. You didn't want to be caught with it and lumped with what you believe a superficial group that feels that they are exempt from decency when it comes to tapping away during conversations, and that arrogant smirk they have when they pinch zoom...
    04-28-10 03:27 PM
    Aww cmon, admit it people. Nobody in their right mind would throw an iPhone under a truck, even if it is not the most convenient hardware to use as a phone.
    Nobody can deny this is/was an amazing trend setting piece of technology.

I will bet the majority of you chose not to get an iPhone mostly because you are irritated by iPhone users arrogant ways. You didn't want to be caught with it and lumped with what you believe a superficial group that feels that they are exempt from decency when it comes to tapping away during conversations, and that arrogant smirk they have when they pinch zoom...
    LOL!!!!!

I do have to say when I am on the train and I see ANYONE using their Iphone, they have this "I'm better than you" look about them. My friend has one and always tells me how much better it is than a BB... he's just a stupid "AppleHead" and will buy whatever garbage they put out.
    04-28-10 03:31 PM
    All of the "I'm better than you" or "Mine is better" is nothing more than 12 year old, school playground shenanigans. Anyone who does that, or even feels threated by someone else doing it, has to be very, very young. Really, c'mon. "Mine is bigger" is really something that threatens you? Talk about insecurity.
    04-28-10 03:53 PM
    i just switched from a iphone 3g to the 9550. i actually gave the iphone to my wife. the thing i miss most with my iphone was it is jailbroken and so i had full access to all the apps for free. i love the speed,keyboard,screen and battery life "especialy with the hybrid OS" of the 9550.

i am going to start a site for the 9550 just for cracked apps and themes. i have many friends who are working on getting the latest apps cracked.
    04-28-10 04:08 PM
    In honesty, I don't like what Apple is doing to the consumer. They are trying to position themselves to force their creation down our throats and charge us royalties for everything. If they took over, they would charge for for youtube, internet use, you name it. And they would not allow any other options. They are fighting jailbreaking as if its a crime.
    04-28-10 04:31 PM
    I would never trade an iPhone for a Storm 2. The iPhone is MUCH better IMO...
    04-28-10 05:07 PM

The screen on the iPhone is cheap? No it isn't. It's much better than the Storm 2's crappy, plastic touchscreen. Why a touchscreen doesn't have glass is beyond me.

I think the iPhone also has much better build quality than the Storm 2.
    04-28-10 05:09 PM
    It's these kind of comments that I was referring to above. Give me a break...I've had Storms since the S1 came out in November, two years ago. I've NEVER felt the screen was "cheap." It's never scratched (I only used screen protectors for the first six months of the S1 and then removed it and have never used one again).

I've seen plenty of broken screens on both iPhones and Storms. My Storm 2 build quality seems fine, just as I think the iPhone build quality seems fine. C'mon, let's grow up and get off the playground, please.

The screen on the iPhone is cheap? No it isn't. It's much better than the Storm 2's crappy, plastic touchscreen. Why a touchscreen doesn't have glass is beyond me.

I think the iPhone also has much better build quality than the Storm 2.
    04-28-10 06:27 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD