Dont know if this has been discussed yet but for those who use VZ Nav and dont mind the monthly fee, is there much that the Where app provides that VZ Nav doesn't. I usually pull up restuarants and movie theaters on VZ and show times on Viigo. Anyone who's used this app enough to swear by it? Wanna know if it's worth clearing out some useless apps (storm saber,TWSS,fart machine) for.

Thanks
    03-06-09 12:24 AM
    Dont know if this has been discussed yet but for those who use VZ Nav and dont mind the monthly fee, is there much that the Where app provides that VZ Nav doesn't. I usually pull up restuarants and movie theaters on VZ and show times on Viigo. Anyone who's used this app enough to swear by it? Wanna know if it's worth clearing out some useless apps (storm saber,TWSS,fart machine) for.

Thanks
    Not at the moment. It seems this got released to early since a lot of the functionality is not great yet. Gasbuddy is really cool but doesn't locate many gas stations. The restaurant list is outdated in some cities, News and Movies has not been put in yet, and map solely uses BB Maps (my understanding it will stay that way.) If you have space, Poynt is a smaller file and a good resource for movies and locating things. But unless you have the space, hold off on Where?

It has a ton of potential and probably will end up pretty cool once it is further developed. But VZ Nav is far more powerful at the moment.
    03-06-09 02:41 AM
    where app doesn't show me where anything is. Yelp comes up with no results.
    03-06-09 03:19 AM
    I've been playing with where this evening .. can't decide it I will keep it or not. Only pulled 3 gas stations w/ gas buddy... can't figure out how to remove icons I don't want or add new ones.. tried to set up account on website, but it kept wanting me to d/l program .. again.

btw, rmer, you can get show times on vzNav .. no need to use a diff app. One way is to start with movies and events ->now playing-> pick your movie and hit showtimes at the bottom left.
    03-06-09 04:26 AM
    I love vznav. It has worked very well for me.
    the best thing i've found for movies was just adding a bookmark in the browser to fandango.com. after you input your area code and it brings up your favorite theater. One click and you gots da goods
    03-06-09 05:12 PM
    Appreciate the help. Explains a lot. A lot of people i know complain about VZ Nav i guess mostly cause of the monthly fee. But there are so many things it's capable of besides navigation. (i.e me not knowing about the showtimes capability) well worth the price for those times when your in a crunch.
    03-07-09 10:18 AM
    Appreciate the help. Explains a lot. A lot of people i know complain about VZ Nav i guess mostly cause of the monthly fee. But there are so many things it's capable of besides navigation. (i.e me not knowing about the showtimes capability) well worth the price for those times when your in a crunch.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not that VzNav is not a great app, it's just people feel that 9.99 a month is too much. Personally I really like VzNav, not just for directions, which it is great at (along with traffic), but easy to use to get directions from your contacts, the POI database is excellent and all of this right on your phone. Yes, google is out there and BB maps, but they really don't compare to VzNav. Garmin, which is good, but I gave my regular Garmin (Nuvi 250W) to my wife because I like VzNav so much more. Well worth the 9.99 a month fee IMO.
    Good luck.
    03-07-09 01:09 PM
    I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not that VzNav is not a great app, it's just people feel that 9.99 a month is too much. Personally I really like VzNav, not just for directions, which it is great at (along with traffic), but easy to use to get directions from your contacts, the POI database is excellent and all of this right on your phone. Yes, google is out there and BB maps, but they really don't compare to VzNav. Garmin, which is good, but I gave my regular Garmin (Nuvi 250W) to my wife because I like VzNav so much more. Well worth the 9.99 a month fee IMO.
    Good luck.
    I agree. I love the VZ Nav and will probably never get rid of it unless something is equal and free. I was thinking of getting a nav system in my car a few years ago, and it's a good thing i didnt.
    03-07-09 01:14 PM
    Where has absolutly NOTHING on VZ navigator. Nothing.
    03-07-09 02:19 PM
    VZnav does it all,turn by turn with voice,weather,show times,real time traffic updates,local search for anything you need. Makes most of these other apps look second rate. I use it all the time here in Los angeles
    And it has not steered me wrong yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bennyj; 03-08-09 at 09:49 AM.
    03-07-09 04:11 PM
    Seriously, I've said it before, but I wouldn't be able to have my phone without VZ navigator. Me and my girl go out of town alot, and not knowing where anything is or how to get around, it comes in extemly useful. Where just can't hold a candle to VZ navigator yet, and it probably never will be able to. Where is just another little app to have right now.
    03-07-09 04:17 PM
    ya, where isnt much... yet...

but if your looking for a free alternative to VZNav, I would say use Poynt, it has show times, you can search for buisnesses, and it uses gps or cell location (if gps is disables) to locate you...

use poynt, its swwwweeeetttt
    03-07-09 04:23 PM
    i tried Where but it killed my battery life and was stuck on Boston and would not locate me in Chicago. I am going to stick with my faithful VZNav
    03-07-09 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD