• Where

51 23.61%
  • Poynt

113 52.31%
  • Both

52 24.07%
    Both need a lot of work IMHO
    03-06-09 01:20 PM
    Where because Poynt doesn't show phone #. Or I just don't know how to look up the phone #?
    03-06-09 02:29 PM
    Where because Poynt doesn't show phone #. Or I just don't know how to look up the phone #?
    You can, you just need to click the track ball or menu button when you find a business or theater.
    03-06-09 04:35 PM
    Am I missing something? For me, Poynt works with GPS whereas Where does not. I looked up on Where's website and it's because Verizon's GPS is locked out. Doesn't make sense because if Poynt and Garmin and now GMaps can get it to work, why can't Where? Anyways, seems lik a lot of people actually have Where working with GPS, are you all on unlocked Storms and not on Verizon? Or, have you found a way to make it work? I'd love to try Where with GPS functionality, I'm too lazy to manually enter my location into Where everytime I want to use it.
    03-06-09 04:45 PM
    Am I missing something?
    Yes, I am not sure what it is that you are missing, but the GPS on the VZW is unlocked. It works just fine with WHERE. Maybe somebody else can provide details of how to get it to work for you.
    03-06-09 04:57 PM
    Poynt has a nicer UI, but it's really only good for movies. At least Where has Yelp (restaurant) and gas prices, both which I find extremely useful. The Starbucks feature is good for finding AT&T Wifi hotspots too. Both apps could benefit from cell-site (Poynt cell-site does not work on my Storm).

I see Poynt eventually being the better app, but they need more features, and they need to fix that cell-site problem on the Storm. For now, I'll keep both.
    03-06-09 04:58 PM
    P O Y N T !
    03-06-09 05:00 PM
    Poynt is awesome. It's the phone book on a huge overdose of steroids. I realized I live in the 21st century after installing it.
    03-06-09 05:11 PM
    Both apps could benefit from cell-site (Poynt cell-site does not work on my Storm).
    Try downloading the latest upgrade posted this morning. Works great now. Poynt updated to 1.0.1.59
    03-07-09 10:06 AM
    Just downloaded the upgrade of Poynt an its better than before.I thought it was good before
    03-07-09 08:16 PM
    I like Poynt, the WHERE thing looked very attractive but it could not tell mw where I was after a certain point. What I like about POYNT is that after you looked something up you can add the whole contact information to your address book which is soooo cool. I tried doing that with BBMAPS and it only added the name.
    03-08-09 03:01 AM
    Haven't used Where yet but I just downloaded Poynt and I love it!

I love that you can watch the movie trailers and read the summary and reviews right through the app!
    03-08-09 08:54 AM
    poynt. absolutely.
    03-08-09 08:56 AM
    What did the Poynt upgrade include - it seems like a very minor upgrade. Couldn't be anything more than bug fixes.

Anyway, I have Poynt, but not Where. I don't use Poynt at all because I have GoogleMaps, which has tons of features, although Poynt does integrate with contacts. Unfortunately, I already know how to get to the homes in my contacts.
    03-08-09 09:24 AM
    Yes, I am not sure what it is that you are missing, but the GPS on the VZW is unlocked. It works just fine with WHERE. Maybe somebody else can provide details of how to get it to work for you.
    Agreed! Yesterday after seeing Watchmen with friends, we decided to head to a sushi restaurant called Komikawa. I had never heard it but found in using Yelp in the Where software. This morning I installed the newest version of point and asked it to find Komikawa; no results found!
    03-08-09 01:46 PM
    Poynt
    Pros: - Has sleeker more professional looking UI.
    -Already Movie capable
    Cons: - No yelp
    - No gas prices
    - GPS takes too long to locate me

Where
    Pros: - Gas prices (UI of gas prices awesome/simple)
    - GPS locates me in a second
    - Yelp included
    Cons: - Really in beta
    - Too much content that you can't remove (Starbucks, etc)

Ultimately, it comes down to which one you personally like better. My pros and cons have to do with what I like and don't like, not problems with the app.

The best part about WHERE is it is quick. I open it, click gas prices and boom! I don't have to type in my location. It is lightning fast which is what I like a reference app to be. I want to know gas prices, now. Movies in my area, now. Restaurants, now. If I need to do more extensive searches about gas prices or movies 50 miles away from me for my trip this weekend I can do it on my laptop. However, when it pops into my wife's head that maybe we should see a movie I want to be able to tell her what is playing before she can finish the sentence. When my gas light comes on I want to know where to go for the cheapest gas before I drive another three miles. At that moment I don't care if Gmaps or BBmaps is better.
    +1

10char
    03-08-09 02:18 PM
    I like where. But I've noticed it wont find things the poynt will. Like stores that I need the phone number of I search on where and I get nothing while poynt has no problem finding it.

It sucks cause I want to keep where for the wall and the gas station feature but otherwise it's lacking in what is most critical.
    03-08-09 03:16 PM
    I love Where, and was so bummed to hear about them never supporting Google Maps that I sent them an email about it. A few hours later I received this response:
    Hello Hunter,

Thank you for your interest in our product. I will definitely take your consideration and send it up to our developers. They will be able to investigate and find out possibilities of doing this.

Thank you,

Nikki
    uLocate Technical Support
    03-08-09 04:43 PM
    Try downloading the latest upgrade posted this morning. Works great now. Poynt updated to 1.0.1.59
    Updated today but cell site still not working on my Storm. It keeps waiting for the GPS, any suggestions?
    03-08-09 10:20 PM
    poynt was the first app on the storm that made me go wow.

vdiesel, i get Cell site whenever I'm deep enough in a building where it's almost impossible to get a gps lock.
    03-09-09 02:17 AM
    Both for now.

Once Where is fully up and going its going to be the only one I use. Gas Buddy is a must have for those of us who dont pay for and get it in navagation.

I'm sure they use google maps on the iphone so I see no reason why the developers cant write the option for us. It wasnt working on the first release for Poynt either.

Once all the widgets go live and after a few updates Im betting Where will be the better app.
    03-09-09 06:17 AM
    I love where, the Gas prices App is a must have. Not so much for the best price, but I have a Diesel and it shows station that have Diesel. Very nice when you are running low on fuel, and in an unfamiliar area.
    03-09-09 06:52 AM
    Ok, my vote is for WHERE, obviously. But you have made some great suggestions here, will definitely pass this along to the team
    03-09-09 10:10 AM
    Google Maps is so much better than BB Maps that I deleted BB Maps to save space. Therefor, Where isn't even an option. Seems like a silly decision to only support one map program if it's possible to integrate more than one. And if you are going to choose just one, why not make it the one most people are using? Read a thread about which maps program users prefer between Google Maps and BB Maps... it's not even close. Google destroys BB Maps.

Back on topic though, I'm curious about responses like "Both need a lot of work."

What more work does Poynt need? I'm on an AT&T Bold and Poynt has worked flawlessly for me since I got it. GPS is quick for me but it remembers my last search location so you can start your search before GPS finishes if you're ever having trouble getting a lock. I agree with the original poster that it would be nice to have a couple of notches below 50 miles... I'd like to be able to do 10 and 25 mile searches. But since it arranges your results by proximity, you're closest results show up first anyway, so you can stop looking at results further out. Other than that, searches are quick, thorough, accurate, and produce much more usable information than a Google search alone. Integration with Google maps and the ability to send search results to friends is great, and Poynt is so far the quickest and most feature-rich movie searching tool I've tried. I'm sure Poynt devs will keep adding features, but they don't "need a lot of work" to work as advertised, and the don't "need a lot of work" to blow away the competition right now IMHO.

I love Poynt and put it easily within my top five must-have apps on 4.5 and 4.6 phones.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 03-15-09 at 08:52 PM.
    03-15-09 08:44 PM
    i dont know much about where but poynt is off the hook...had the app about a week and a half and its ridiculous!!
    03-16-09 12:20 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD