What's with the screen gap on the right and bottom? I thought that was supposed to be fixed or at least tightened up a bit. Take some more pics... this time how about settin your camera to Macro (you know, the little icon with a flower) before you take up-close pics please.
    I'll have a go later at taking a few more shots and will look out for the little flower icon on my D700!

I do get the impression that given the nature of the touch screen that there will have to be a gap but probably not to the extent that of what is currently on show. I'm sure it could have been tightened up a bit more.
    11-14-08 11:29 AM
    i want to see some pictures taken WITH the camera on the storm!
    11-14-08 11:36 AM
    Keep it coming. I know there's more Vodafone users who picked up their Storms today than just Hitman!
    I think there have been problems getting hold of handsets somewhere along the line. Many Vodafone stores did not get any, and I am one of quite a few who pre-ordered by phone and have not received anything.

Someone said that Vodafone only received 6,000 units for the launch. If that's truu, you had better hope the RIM factory is working overtime, as the US lanuch is probably going to need a few more than that.
    11-14-08 11:40 AM
    Why is the browser icon always highlighted? Haven't seen it discussed before, but I thought they highlighted when you touched the screen. There is no way to select other than clicking...so what's the point of the constant highlight?
    11-14-08 11:47 AM
    Anyone used the Facebook function yet??
    11-14-08 11:50 AM
    I expect the 9530 version to be way better than that of the 9500. Pretty much in every detail. But maybe i'm just hyping myself up, haha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-08 12:36 PM
    Lol I sure hope the 30 is better then the 00. No offense to users of the 00. Im jealous of the ability for voice and data.

11-14-08 02:25 PM
    I'll have a go later at taking a few more shots and will look out for the little flower icon on my D700!

I do get the impression that given the nature of the touch screen that there will have to be a gap but probably not to the extent that of what is currently on show. I'm sure it could have been tightened up a bit more.
    Wait, you have a DSLR and you don't know what a macro lens is... or for that matter focal length of your current lens? Shame on you, you poser.

Obviously you won't have a flower icon, but come on... no macro lens? What world do you live in? Come on... everyone has a macro lens.

Anyway, now that I've belittled you enough... ... A quick and dirty fix for no macro lens is to go out and buy like an inexpensive +3 filter and screw it onto that lens you have now. It'll drop down your minimum focal length on your lens to less then a few inches and make for some nice easy semi-macro image capture. I use a +3 filter on my 50mm 1.4 Canon lens and I've taken some pretty sweet flower and insect closeup pics with it. Give it a try and see if it works for your needs.

Oh yeah, and I agree. The tollenrences on the screen could be a bit tighter and still work fine. I think the issue here is that they got their screens in before they realized what exact dimentions they needed for the overall layout. I think someone played it safe on the tollenrences during the CAD sessions.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 11-14-08 at 02:40 PM.
    11-14-08 02:36 PM
    Wait, you have a DSLR and you don't know what a macro lens is... or for that matter focal length of your current lens? Shame on you, you poser.

Obviously you won't have a flower icon, but come on... no macro lens? What world do you live in? Come on... everyone has a macro lens.

Anyway, now that I've belittled you enough... ... A quick and dirty fix for no macro lens is to go out and buy like an inexpensive +3 filter and screw it onto that lens you have now. It'll drop down your minimum focal length on your lens to less then a few inches and make for some nice easy semi-macro image capture. I use a +3 filter on my 50mm 1.4 Canon lens and I've taken some pretty sweet flower and insect closeup pics with it. Give it a try and see if it works for your needs.

Oh yeah, and I agree. The tollenrences on the screen could be a bit tighter and still work fine. I think the issue here is that they got their screens in before they realized what exact dimentions they needed for the overall layout. I think someone played it safe on the tollenrences during the CAD sessions.
    Tell me about it, I don't know how I cope without a macro lens. I can't get the show on the road without it... unfortunately, my camera bag is currently lacking a macro lens as I've just upgraded to FX and my old DX kit has been passed on. I've got two lovely 24-70 and 70-200 lenses but neither are quite up to the job I need, I might have to go and fetch the Ixus for now!

I think you are spot on with the screen. There isn't the need for such clearance as the screen as it shouldn't be required to move laterally but it does! When looking at the gaps, it is possible to just about get a finger nail along. The gap is also very visible when the back light is on as the light is visible along all edges.

For my macro sins I still don't have connection on Vodafone...
    11-14-08 02:56 PM
    I think you are spot on with the screen. There isn't the need for such clearance as the screen as it shouldn't be required to move laterally but it does! When looking at the gaps, it is possible to just about get a finger nail along. The gap is also very visible when the back light is on as the light is visible along all edges.
    Oh ****! I was afraid of that exact thing. Damn, I can't belive how right I've been about this. I posted this as a possible side effect if the screen gap and design wasn't fixed. When I posted about this a few weeks ago I actually visualized me putting two thumbs on the screen and being able to slide it around a bit up and down and side to side. Not good! I bet you can even put a fingernail along the edge between the screen and casing and get the screen to shift to the other side and then do the same on the other side... can't you?
    11-14-08 03:26 PM
    Oh ****! I was afraid of that exact thing. Damn, I can't belive how right I've been about this. I posted this as a possible side effect if the screen gap and design wasn't fixed. When I posted about this a few weeks ago I actually visualized me putting two thumbs on the screen and being able to slide it around a bit up and down and side to side. Not good! I bet you can even put a fingernail along the edge between the screen and casing and get the screen to shift to the other side and then do the same on the other side... can't you?
    Hmm, although it is possible to get a finger nail between the screen and casing, you have to you your free hand to move the screen in the opposite direction. The screen seems to move about 1mm in all directions leaving a gap of 1mm from the edge.

I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned in that dust and 'pocket' debris could get lodged in there. I don't know how well sealed the internals are but I this could create a problem with foreign bodies becoming lodged in the edges and perhaps under the screen!

I have a feeling the space has to be left or it could become possible for it to get stuck as no edge is ever less than 1mm away from the screen.
    11-14-08 03:40 PM
    Oh boy....I don't like the idea of pocket lint and crap getting under the screen. That makes me really nervous. So sounds like I will be getting a holster for this beast

11-14-08 07:45 PM
    well if the invisibleSHIELD cover it, then sweet. or would that not work w the screen being a moving part and all?
    11-14-08 08:27 PM

I'm also interested to hear opinions on this from owners sitting in a quiet room.
    Or in meetings... And no way to turn it down, huh? THIS is the one thing that gives me pause..
    11-14-08 08:32 PM
    Actually that's probably by design, as the physical buttons are close to the screen, when you type landscape, it is easy to mis click the phone buttons.

11-14-08 08:38 PM
    No worries, that is probably the first thing their mechanical engineers worried about. A brush should clean the edges easily.

Oh boy....I don't like the idea of pocket lint and crap getting under the screen. That makes me really nervous. So sounds like I will be getting a holster for this beast

11-14-08 08:44 PM
    god that thing is beautiful
    11-14-08 08:54 PM
    What's with the screen gap on the right and bottom? I thought that was supposed to be fixed or at least tightened up a bit.
    The gaps are my concern as well. I am worried the gaps are going to get full of crud and not work. Also I am a neat freak so I am worried I will crack the screen or mess it up some other way when trying to clean out the gaps

** Edit**
    Actually that's probably by design, as the physical buttons are close to the screen, when you type landscape, it is easy to mis click the phone buttons.
    Doh.. sorry should have read past page 2 before I posted... I will go to the corner now
    Last edited by Primate; 11-14-08 at 09:07 PM.
    11-14-08 08:56 PM
    keep it in the pouch comes in the package! And use a brush, not a screw driver!

The gaps are my concern as well. I am worried the gaps are going to get full of crud and not work. Also I am a neat freak so I am worried I will crack the screen or mess it up some other way when trying to clean out the gaps
    11-14-08 09:03 PM
    If you're refering to the black outline of the screen, that's now what we're all talking about when we mention the screen gap. That outline is due to the screen design. The black outline at the bottom is where the majority of the screen ribbon cable connections are. It's like that for a reason.
    11-14-08 10:27 PM
    Thank You!!!!
    11-14-08 11:14 PM
    lets all just hope everything is good with the OS also.. i do care about the crack between the screen... but dude the OS is where i care the most, as long as there is no freezing and everything is smooth ill be fine
    11-14-08 11:33 PM
    can someone post a pic of the back of the phone without the battery in? and also possibly a pic of the battery cover (front and back) .. thank you very much!! much appreciated!
    11-15-08 09:10 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD