I'm looking to download or purchase movies that are already formatted for the storm and will play in FULL screen like the trailers that came pre-installed on the device.

I put 4 movies on my storm but all of them were in that "widescreen" format with the large black bars at the top and bottom.

Anybody know a site or service where you can download pre-formatted videos for the storm?
    02-17-09 12:58 PM
    nope been looking myself, but have been able to use handbrake and get rid of those bars.
    02-17-09 01:50 PM
    The reason you have the black bars is the same reason you have black bars on a non-widescreen TV when watching a widescreen film (which most DVDs are now). They just physically don't fit the screen. The only way to get it to work is to find a 4:3 source (tricky) or crop/stretch the film. Croping the film will you'll loose about 1/3 of the width of the film and stretching it will make it look awful but both can be done using handbrake I think.

The trailer works because it was made for the storm. Long story short is you'll probably just have to get used to it I'm afraid.

Safe to say, I'm unaware of anywhere you can download movies for the storm, you're probably best of looking for movies formatted for iTouch/iPhone as they have virtually the same screen size and the iTouch/iPhone has been around a lot longer.
    02-17-09 02:10 PM
    I burned and reformatted a few DVD's to watch on the Storm - I did them in the "iPod/iPhone" format the package I was using recommended - they still did not fit the screen. I took my Storm back after a few weeks, so I never figured out the exact format that uses *most* of the screen, but as Myriad said you are going to have to get used to it probably not fitting the entire screen.
    02-17-09 02:35 PM
    Frankly, the black borders do not bother me at all. I have the same thing when playing widescreen movies on my laptops. When TV stations play those movies at full screen, they reconfigure that size. It ends up cropping off the left and the right sides. You really don't want that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 02:41 PM
    The black borders take away over half of the screen size combined. It is awful and makes watching a movie horendous.

There has got to be a source where movies are formatted in full screen like the pre-installed trailers for the Storm, or at least a way to do it correctly.
    02-17-09 02:47 PM
    Yea that blows
    02-17-09 08:29 PM
    I personally hate cropping, but since a few people asked in the how-to subforum, here's my recommendation on how to properly crop a non 4:3 source to the Storm's screen using Handbrake:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/dv...0/#post1537770
    02-17-09 08:44 PM
    Yea the trailer that came with the phone looks and sounds unreal! Its really amazing looking. Was that just a gimmick to sell the phone? There's no other quality movies or even trailers to download for this phone? Then why did they even put on the trailer it came with? That's really dumb and a low blow!
    02-17-09 09:01 PM
    I burned and reformatted a few DVD's to watch on the Storm - I did them in the "iPod/iPhone" format the package I was using recommended - they still did not fit the screen. I took my Storm back after a few weeks, so I never figured out the exact format that uses *most* of the screen, but as Myriad said you are going to have to get used to it probably not fitting the entire screen.
    You took the Storm back because of being unable to properly format videos to watch on the phone? Please tell me you didnt take the phone back just for that?
    02-17-09 09:05 PM
    Yea the trailer that came with the phone looks and sounds unreal! Its really amazing looking. Was that just a gimmick to sell the phone? There's no other quality movies or even trailers to download for this phone? Then why did they even put on the trailer it came with? That's really dumb and a low blow!
    02-17-09 09:06 PM
    Was that just a gimmick to sell the phone? There's no other quality movies or even trailers to download for this phone? Then why did they even put on the trailer it came with?
    It's not a gimmick; it's a sample to demonstrate the Storm's video capabilities.

You can put your own movies (e.g., DVDs) on the Storm, and if you do it right it'll look the same/better than the Babylon AD sample.
    02-17-09 09:08 PM
    I don't mind the black bars. I have at least a half dozen full length movies and a whole bunch of tv shows on my phone and it doesn't bug me. If you really want to use the full screen you'll have to obtain full screen copies of the movie (pan and scan ones) and convert those. Or follow buxleyp's link, but you will be cropping (losing) part of the frame when you do so
    02-17-09 09:10 PM
    T

02-17-09 09:19 PM
    02-17-09 09:21 PM
    I use CloneDVD Mobile and it gives me several options after selecting the iPhone size, and I just decide if I am willing to crop based on the movie.
    02-17-09 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD