Endless firmware leaks, custom hybrid OS's. The fact that we are resorting to hacking together a working OS is laughable. Now with retailers dumping their supplies for as low as $99 + contract. I think it's just a matter of time before we realize the great degree to which RIM and Verizon shafted each and every one of us.

This is not meant to downplay the efforts of SIth and others. Their work is certainly appreciated.
    02-17-09 11:38 AM
    Er... sorry but I think you're taking this a bit too personally. The storm's been out like a few months and its hardly unusable.
    02-17-09 11:57 AM
    Lame take.
    02-17-09 12:09 PM
    Not only that but no one is forcing anyone to hack OS's and piecemeal a hybrid one. That is being done by a few creative and tech savvy people because...well, they can.

As for the leaked OS's and no official releases lately clearly the majority of Storm users....remember you're in a bubble here in Crackberry, this site by NO MEANS represents the majority...have been fine or complacent with .75, obviously not knowing any better. If the magnitude of hype you read about on here or other BB boards concerning problems, issues, leaks, etc etc were seriously in the mainstream...I have to er on the side that RIM / VZW would have heeded that and released .90 or .99 just to shut people up.
    02-17-09 12:14 PM
    Wow, somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

Let's see, I think you're suppose to say something like "Get an iphone" when you see a post like this, arn't you?
    They lowered the price to sell more...ever heard of competitive pricing? Buy One Get One is awesome and the amazon $99. I am sure they can count each BOGO as 2 Storms sold.

They are just trying to get more people to buy it. If you don't like the betas go back to .75
    Yeah, they're "dumping" their stock. Our local Verizon store still can't keep up with the demand.

I guess if you make stuff up, you can prove any point.
    02-17-09 12:15 PM
    I didn't say that the phone was unusable, just that having to "jimmy jack" your phone to get it to work is a joke. Battery cards, tightening screws, cooking up custom firemware etc.

It would seem that Blackberry loyalists almost have more blind devotion to a brand than Apple users.
    02-17-09 12:17 PM
    So, at what point does your own personal responsibility kick in here? You list Verizon as your carrier, so you had/have 30 days to take the thing back if you didn't like it. You can claim it's missing the point, blah blah blah, but at some point YOU have to make a decision about whether or not you want to wait for things to get better or jump ship for something else.

Blaming RIM and/or Verizon because you can't make up your mind is hardly fair.
    02-17-09 12:17 PM
    I'd like less text lag but otherwise I'm doing pretty Well...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 12:18 PM
    WTB this thread deleted. (or moved to rants)
    02-17-09 12:18 PM
    the phone performs better than you give credit. most of the people doing updates, and hacking are just trying to have fun with their phones. some people actually enjoy being the first to get something working, and sharing their knowledge.
    02-17-09 12:25 PM
    I hear your point Bigman2, but would you not agree that the lengths to which people are going to correct a RIM's mistakes are a bit shocking. I'm only mad a RIM here, not the people like sith who are working their butts off to help us out. Why can't they make a checklist of every feature, BT audio, accelerometer speed, etc. and test each OS against it. Don't release a firmware version until all those requirements are fulfilled? Doesn't sound hard to me.
    02-17-09 12:29 PM
    I didn't say that the phone was unusable, just that having to "jimmy jack" your phone to get it to work is a joke. Battery cards, tightening screws, cooking up custom firemware etc.

It would seem that Blackberry loyalists almost have more blind devotion to a brand than Apple users.
    What's a joke is your ranting with a bunch of pointless hyperbole. Get rid of the phone and move on with life.
    None of the leaked OS's are meant for public consumption. That's why they're BETA's, they're not official releases.
    Last edited by BAN5150; 02-17-09 at 12:31 PM.
    02-17-09 12:29 PM
    WTB this thread deleted. (or moved to rants)
    agree; belongs in rants
    02-17-09 12:30 PM
    the phone performs better than you give credit. most of the people doing updates, and hacking are just trying to have fun with their phones. some people actually enjoy being the first to get something working, and sharing their knowledge.
    I agree.

Imagine these forums if Verizon/RIM actually *released* one of these leaks as the next official build. People would be calling for the end of RIM. Dogs and cats would start living together.

I will sit and wait.
    02-17-09 12:31 PM
    my post was in regards to the endless line of beta os's therefore it belongs in the beta OS discussion forum, if I am not mistaken.

I just want one question answered.

Why can't they make a checklist of every feature, BT audio, accelerometer speed, etc. and test each OS against it. Don't release a firmware version until all those requirements are fulfilled? Doesn't sound hard to me.
    02-17-09 12:33 PM
    Not only that but no one is forcing anyone to hack OS's and piecemeal a hybrid one. That is being done by a few creative and tech savvy people because...well, they can.

As for the leaked OS's and no official releases lately clearly the majority of Storm users....remember you're in a bubble here in Crackberry, this site by NO MEANS represents the majority...have been fine or complacent with .75, obviously not knowing any better. If the magnitude of hype you read about on here or other BB boards concerning problems, issues, leaks, etc etc were seriously in the mainstream...I have to er on the side that RIM / VZW would have heeded that and released .90 or .99 just to shut people up.
    BUMPED to be re-read
    02-17-09 12:36 PM
    ...This guy isn't getting it. They are doing that. That is why there has been no official release yet. They want it to be perfect so the Storm continues to sell well and grows even better as the Storm improves and gains the app store.
    02-17-09 12:36 PM
    ...This guy isn't getting it. They are doing that. That is why there has been no official release yet. They want it to be perfect so the Storm continues to sell well and grows even better as the Storm improves and gains the app store.
    I guess I really need to talk to a programmer then. Does fixing one feature break another? Like if you make the web fast does it kill bbm, or if you make the accelerometer wirk in real time does it mean the colors get reduced? I really don't understand that.
    02-17-09 12:39 PM
    Why can't they make a checklist of every feature, BT audio, accelerometer speed, etc. and test each OS against it. Don't release a firmware version until all those requirements are fulfilled? Doesn't sound hard to me.
    Good god man, they're not official releases from RIM!
    02-17-09 12:44 PM
    Sounds like maybe this isn't the phone for you. This is my first smart phone, and while its been hairy at times, I've been able to find any and all information I've needed help with just by reading. I hate talking to help desk people when its something I can figure out on my own with just a bit of work.
    02-17-09 12:45 PM
    I guess I really need to talk to a programmer then. Does fixing one feature break another? Like if you make the web fast does it kill bbm, or if you make the accelerometer wirk in real time does it mean the colors get reduced? I really don't understand that.
    Code can be very temperamental and when you are changing an entire operating system changing one thing can have an unforeseen effect on something else. If code was an "exact" science and perfect every time we wouldn't be having this discussion right now

I've done C++ and web coding and trust me it can be tricky. I can only imagine how hard it is to keep a whole OS under control.
    02-17-09 12:45 PM
    You can continue to argue this all you want, however, you must be reminded, again and again, that it has only been two months since Verizon released .75.

No matter what, you must put things into perspective. They were efficient enough to release an update within a week or two of the release of the phone because they noticed the lack of functionality.

I doubt that RIM, being the reputable company that they have been known to be, will release a second operating system giving substandard results.

Also be reminded that the iPhone is far from perfect as well.

Edit: In addition to this, the above poster is 100% correct. The editing of one specific line of code can impact the whole operating system. These operating systems contain hundreds and maybe even thousands of lines of code. Code, which, if even a mere comma or parenthesis is omitted, can spoil the specific feature that code is tied into.

Be patient. It'll all work out.
    Last edited by nysstorm; 02-17-09 at 12:48 PM.
    02-17-09 12:46 PM
    Also be reminded that the iPhone is far from perfect as well.
    This is so true. You can't run 3rd party applications in the background. What is the point of AIM and Facebook if you are required to keep them in front for them to run.
    02-17-09 12:48 PM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD