Hello all! First off let me just say

WOW what a site!!

I just made the jump to the Blackberry and I wanted to find a site like the iPhone site that I came from and here she is! Just wanted to say hey and looking to grab some cool knowledge from all of you.

Im curious about a few things so any help would be great...

I bought 2 9530's for myself and my girl and im looking to do some things to mine at least. Im kinda a noobie to the blackberry's so bare with me.

I owned a iPhone 8 gig and it was "unlocked and jailbroken" so I could get a lot of free apps and not be stuck with the "i Plan"

So my ? is this i hooked up with Verizon Wireless for the first time ever. And they sucked me into paying $30 a month for EACH phone for the "data plan" and I was wondering if there was a way to unlock the phone so I dont have to carry the data plan. 60 bucks a month is kinda dumb and would love to kick that. I really dont need the internet on the phone I would just like to spruce them up a bit with cool apps and theme's and then kick the internet.

So is there a way to do this? Also I wouldnt mind switching back to AT&T and I noticed this phone has a sim card. Is this possible? If not no biggie I have to pay someone right? lol...
    04-04-09 01:30 PM
    no. a data plan is required for each blackberry line with vzw.
    04-04-09 01:35 PM
    No data plan, no blackberry services period.

No push email, no BB pin messaging, etc, etc, sure you can work around to get some applications to function but that's more of a hassle then what it's worth really. So sprucing them up with apps, then kicking the data plans would be pointless, 95% of apps won't work without a data plan.

Yes, you can unlock the device to work with AT&T their is plenty of threads already related to getting it to work on AT&T such as this one.

But basically if you weren't looking to pay for a data plan, then u just bought two fancy looking bricks.
    04-04-09 01:37 PM
    But basically if you weren't looking to pay for a data plan, then u just bought two fancy looking bricks.
    damn that sux is verizon the only ones that do that? i mean is bb service mandatory? like if you dont have the data plan they wont let you keep the phone on?
    04-04-09 01:42 PM
    damn that sux is verizon the only ones that do that? i mean is bb service mandatory? like if you dont have the data plan they wont let you keep the phone on?
    You can keep the phone on..for calls and text, anything else...you got nodda. No BB plan, No data usage.
    04-04-09 01:46 PM
    Gotta have the BB data plan with all major service providers. TM, VZW and ATT
    04-04-09 01:50 PM
    Gotta have the BB data plan with all major service providers. TM, VZW and ATT
    no. with vzw, yes.
    04-04-09 01:51 PM
    [QUOTE=Bla1ze;2181614]No data plan, no blackberry services period.

No push email, no BB pin messaging, etc, etc, sure you can work around to get some applications to function but that's more of a hassle then what it's worth really. So sprucing them up with apps, then kicking the data plans would be pointless, 95% of apps won't work without a data plan.

Yes, you can unlock the device to work with AT&T their is plenty of threads already related to getting it to work on AT&T such as
    But basically if you weren't looking to pay for a data plan, then u just bought two fancy looking bricks.[/QUOTE]

LOL yeah it sucks having to keep the female happy!! And I really dont care about data usage as I have plenty of internet access with my computers. She just had to have the new storm and I just need a thing to call people on. So is there a way to kick the data plan if i unlock the phone?!
    04-04-09 02:08 PM
    So is there a way to kick the data plan if i unlock the phone?!
    Sure, activate it on another network and be upset cause your Storm won't be able to do much of anything without the Data Plan.
    04-04-09 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD