I've been a Storm 1 user since Dec. '08. Have consistently installed leaked OS's including the latest .148. Aside from all of the little frustrations with the accelerometer, battery levels, memory, etc., my biggest peeve has been with the virtual keyboard. Whether it's it's inherent inaccuracy, my fat fingers or a combination of both, I frequently reach a level of "hating" the phone and want to swap it with something else. It takes me so long to type the simplest message because of the wrong letter coming up when I expected it to be something else - that's in landscape mode when the I have a fighting chance of hitting the right key. In portrait, fuhgeddiboutit. Yesterday, while trying to respond to a PIN from my wife, I lost it and called Verizon to ask for different phone. They agreed to let me swap it for a brand new phone of equal or lesser value. I was reallly pleasede that they were being so accommodating (maybe because of all the complaints they've gooten about the Storm1?). So it was off to the Verizon store to make my selection. Guess what, I still have my Storm 1. To be honest, nothing else really impressed me there. The closest thing to something that looked good was the LG Voyager. I do like smartphones with big screens. The Voyager has a huge keyboard of the non-virtual kind. The Storm has so much promise to it though. I asked a clerk if she knew when the Storm 2 would be coming out and of course she said she knew nothing about it. I guess I should use my chit for the new Storm2. Think it will be a big improvement on the keyboard? Even with my fat fingers?
    05-23-09 08:05 PM
    I've been a Storm 1 user since Dec. '08. Have consistently installed leaked OS's including the latest .148. Aside from all of the little frustrations with the accelerometer, battery levels, memory, etc., my biggest peeve has been with the virtual keyboard. Whether it's it's inherent inaccuracy, my fat fingers or a combination of both, I frequently reach a level of "hating" the phone and want to swap it with something else. It takes me so long to type the simplest message because of the wrong letter coming up when I expected it to be something else - that's in landscape mode when the I have a fighting chance of hitting the right key. In portrait, fuhgeddiboutit. Yesterday, while trying to respond to a PIN from my wife, I lost it and called Verizon to ask for different phone. They agreed to let me swap it for a brand new phone of equal or lesser value. I was reallly pleasede that they were being so accommodating (maybe because of all the complaints they've gooten about the Storm1?). So it was off to the Verizon store to make my selection. Guess what, I still have my Storm 1. To be honest, nothing else really impressed me there. The closest thing to something that looked good was the LG Voyager. I do like smartphones with big screens. The Voyager has a huge keyboard of the non-virtual kind. The Storm has so much promise to it though. I asked a clerk if she knew when the Storm 2 would be coming out and of course she said she knew nothing about it. I guess I should use my chit for the new Storm2. Think it will be a big improvement on the keyboard? Even with my fat fingers?

I don't want to push you in another direction if thats not the direction you want to go. Maybe a touch screen just isn't your thing.

There is a couple devices you may want to look into. The curve series of devices is pretty well liked by a ton of the community all of which have keyboards..

the best keyboard of a blackberry (at least in my opinion) at verizon is the world edition.

There is however another new blackberry on the way to verizon that has a keyboard
    its called the blackberry 9630 tour. It isn't officially announced yet but speculation has turned to a july 13th release date.

This device will carry over alot of what the storm currently does accept will have more available space for applications and will also have a physical keyboard similar to that of a bold. So all of your media functions are still there minus the huge screen (but keeping a decent size screen in its place)

I am sorry that you have had issues with your phone and hope you find something that you like.

Hope this helps.
    05-23-09 11:26 PM
    Also when the storm 2 does hit don't expect them to let you switch to that phone for free being that it will cost more than the storm. Also the voyager does not have internet capabilities like the storm it only accesses mobile Internet and the touch screen after time goes down the crapper. I would agree that a curve or the 8830 world edition would be the way to go if you don't want to give up BB email and internet capabilities.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

EDIT: also the voyager is not a smart phone just wanted to make sure you knew that before you make your decision.
    Last edited by tyler.hopkins; 05-23-09 at 11:58 PM.
    05-23-09 11:54 PM
    the voyager is alright if you dont want a smart phone and all the possiblilities you can do with the bb. The voyager was the phone I had before the storm, its very easy to type on but like tyler stated, it isnt a smart phone. The world edition is just plain ugly. The Bold would be one of the easiest bb's to type on, too bad its not on VZW. If you feel like your fingers are too big, stay away from touchscreens. Wait till the Tour 9630 drops, has the same keyboard as the Bold just not as big, alittle bigger than the curve.
    05-24-09 07:59 AM
    Thanks all for the comments. I just watched the video of the upcoming Onyx and it was great to see it compared with every BB out there. I guess it comes down to this: it's the screen, stupid! What really floats my boat about the Storm is its huge screen. I just may have to learn that to have the screen means to have more patience with the keyboard. I thought that VZW would allow the switch to the Storm2 precisely because it would reward the customer who supported the 1. After all, isn't the 2 really a "mea culpa" for the 1 rather than merely a normal evolutionary upgrade? I didn't realize till Tyler pointed it out that the VZW rep threw me a curve ball (no pun intended) when he said "of equal or lesser value" when he gave me the auth to get a new phone. Wouldn't a current Storm owner be the most likely customer for the 2? Is the 2 worth fighting for in my case anyway? Will its non-flex keyboard really be any more accurate?
    05-25-09 07:41 AM
    did you call customer service or your local store when you called to complain?
    05-25-09 09:49 AM
    It was customer service.
    05-25-09 07:19 PM
    I agree with the other poster that perhaps on-screen keyboard is not for you. I switched from phones with physical keyboard (i.e. XV6700 and XV6800) to Storm with on-screen keyboard, and I don't have any problem whatsoever with the keyboard. I am doing all my emails exclusively using the Storm now.

In my humble opinion, it is okay to switch if you cannot use the phone. And I believe the Storm 2 will be the same. You should consider a phone with a physical keyboard.... perhaps the new Niagara.
    05-25-09 07:26 PM
    Which one is the Niagara?
    05-25-09 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD