I am looking into getting my first BB and am seriously considering the Storm on Verizon; however, I am a little concerned by all of the negative feedback and comments it has been getting out on the web and on this website. I am therefore curious to find out what the most recent OS is for the Storm, and whether or not it has fixed most of the problems it was originally having at launch. Keep in mind, I don't know exactly what those problems were.

It seems like a great device with all the cool features one could want; however, if it's not that easy to use those features don't really do you much good.

My two options on Verizon right now are either the Storm 9530 or the Curve 8330, and my biggest concern is that with either of those models, if I were to get one now, I would have a unit that is pretty much obsolete within only a few months. I figure there is less chance the Storm would be obsolete so I am leaning towards that, but with the possible release of the Storm 2 in the near future, you never know.
    05-19-09 01:14 PM
    .75 is the last release.

And maybe read a bit...
    Look around all your issues been talked about...
    I'd skip the Storm. Wait for the Storm 2 or just get the bold.
    05-19-09 01:19 PM
    .75 is the last release.

And maybe read a bit...
    Look around all your issues been talked about...
    I'd skip the Storm. Wait for the Storm 2 or just get the bold.
    I'd love to get the Bold, but I unfortunately have to stick with Verizon.
    05-19-09 01:31 PM
    Check out the 9630, it might be out in July.
    05-19-09 01:39 PM
    Check out the 9630, it might be out in July.
    That's one of the options I'm considering. The unit looks great, I'm just not sure I can wait until July to get it. Not to mention, there is no gurantee that it will be out in July.
    05-19-09 01:44 PM
    .75 is the last official release from Verizon... Although it's "OK", I wouldn't recommend using it unless you have no other choice. I have a few friends/family still on 75, and they have little to no problems... they're also not as heavy of users as myself.

.141 is the last known "leaked" OS for the 9530. With 141 (or 132 for some) the performance is night and day compared to 75. If you get a Storm, I'd highly recommend upgrading to 141 as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. There are guides here on CB on how to do that. Now some may disagree, but from experience I would venture to say my 141 Storm is as fast, sometimes faster, than my wifes 8330.

From my years of WinMo devices in the past, and my n00b beginnings in the BB world, I can say that the Storm with 141 is by far the best "smart phone" I've used so far...
    Last edited by spampeg; 05-19-09 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typos
    05-19-09 01:45 PM
    I would get the storm and upgrade to 141. I love my storm and wouldn't trade it for any other blackberry out. The storm 2 might make me change my mind when it comes out but until then my storm rocks!
    05-19-09 01:51 PM
    I would second the motion that most of the problems are fixed with the leaked os's. I've had mine about three weeks and went from 0.75 to .132 after about a week. Then I went to the .141/5.0 hybrid this last weekend. Phone operates great now.

I thought it was decent with .75 but I think it runs very well with the leaked os's.

As background, I replaced a Pearl with the Storm as my personal phone. I have been using an 8700 for three years for email only and will continue to do so till it dies. I can type on the Storm pretty fast but after doing a bunch of email, my thumbs get more tired on the storm.
    05-19-09 01:54 PM
    I would get the storm and upgrade to 141. I love my storm and wouldn't trade it for any other blackberry out. The storm 2 might make me change my mind when it comes out but until then my storm rocks!
    hey so u really like the 141 huh?? im really nervous about tryin it cause im so new to the phone but i think im gonna go for it tonite

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!! DETROIT CITY
    05-19-09 02:16 PM
    I would second the motion that most of the problems are fixed with the leaked os's. I've had mine about three weeks and went from 0.75 to .132 after about a week. Then I went to the .141/5.0 hybrid this last weekend. Phone operates great now.

I thought it was decent with .75 but I think it runs very well with the leaked os's.

As background, I replaced a Pearl with the Storm as my personal phone. I have been using an 8700 for three years for email only and will continue to do so till it dies. I can type on the Storm pretty fast but after doing a bunch of email, my thumbs get more tired on the storm.
    Exactly how easy or difficult is it to upgrade the OS on these things? I have never had to do anything like that with a cell phone or anything else before.
    05-19-09 02:19 PM
    Exactly how easy or difficult is it to upgrade the OS on these things? I have never had to do anything like that with a cell phone or anything else before.
    For the most part, it's really easy. The biggest thing is to make sure you do a backup first using DM (Desktop Manager). a quick guide is... download and install 141, disable or unplug your network card, run desktop manager... wait 20 minutes for the upgrade to apply... reboot your phone a few times... be happy! some people prefer to use apploader, which I seem to have moved to since using so many hybrids.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/n0...source-213706/ by Olta

Quite comprehensive, but should answer most of your questions. Read read read, and make sure you understand what it is you're doing. Nothing to be scared of, just tread carefully.

If you run into any problems, feel free to PM me any questions.
    05-19-09 02:45 PM
    Sadly with the news that the new Storm could be due out in a month, perhaps we won't see an official up to date OS for the original Storm anytime soon.
    05-19-09 02:52 PM
    Sadly with the news that the new Storm could be due out in a month, perhaps we won't see an official up to date OS for the original Storm anytime soon.
    That's exactly my concern. I don't want to make the move to the Storm now, and then get stuck with an obsolete product that the provider has basically given up on.
    05-19-09 03:04 PM
    That's exactly my concern. I don't want to make the move to the Storm now, and then get stuck with an obsolete product that the provider has basically given up on.
    unfortunately with all technological advances as soon as you walk out the door with a new product its pretty much obsolete. that doesnt mean that RIM will be abandoning support for the phone. it just means their always in development for something cleaner smoother faster better. personally i have no intention of picking up a storm 2 when it drops.
    05-19-09 04:38 PM
    i upgraded to .113 one night.... and then .132 the other day.

both great improvements- but the phone is FAR from 'done'.

i wish i had jumped ship to the iphone when i couldve..... but the storm will do for now.
    05-19-09 05:48 PM
    For the storm right now, the latest official release is 4.7.0.75, the latest leaked beta is 4.7.0.141 and the latest known betas are 4.7.0.220 and 5.0.0.126.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 10:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD