Has anyone found a solution to the intermittently-charging Storm1 problem??

Charging was never an issue until a few days ago, 3 weeks (of course) after the warranty expired. I didn't buy insurance. It is not the car charger, 3 wall chargers, and USB charger. Tried them all multiple times. The battery charges fine when placed in my husband's Storm.

Battery resets sometimes help. Putting charger in, removing after a second or 2 and repeating 4 or 5 times often helps. I was using a 4.7 hybrid for a long time, so it wasn't that... but upgraded to 5.0 (.419) anyway. That helped briefly. This is a royal pain.

If phone needs to be replaced, would the Tour be preferable to the Storm2?
    04-26-10 07:52 PM
    Did you try trading batteries? Maybe its the battery, not the phone. My wife and I both have the same problems. All part of the charm! /sarc

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 10:33 PM
    The battery appears to be fine.

I know this isn't exactly an exciting issue such as a new OS would be, but can I please have some other ideas/opinions from others???? Please save me some grief.

Did you try trading batteries? Maybe its the battery, not the phone. My wife and I both have the same problems. All part of the charm! /sarc

04-27-10 10:26 AM
    Are you sure that it's not the USB port on your phone?
    04-27-10 10:33 AM
    I have been having the exact same issue. It started a few days ago. The only thing that is still working properly is my wall charger. My car and USB chargers don't charge the phone anymore, I can plug it in, and it will show the lightning bolt over the batter symbol for 5 mins or so, then quit.

I was thinking it might be my battery, since I live in a horrible coverage spot and my signal always drops, but I'm not for certain.

I'm running .328, no hybrid here.
    04-27-10 10:42 AM
    The OEM BlackBerry wall wart puts out more power than the USB standard.

Did you discharge the battery to an extremely low level, like 5% or less? Give it a charge on the wall wart to more than ten percent and the other chargers should work fine.

04-27-10 10:57 AM
    My phone now tells me that my USB connection will not charge my phone. Been charging it this way for a year now, but it no longer works. And this is with 20%, 50%, 65% of the battery.
    04-27-10 11:28 AM
    This is obviously another of the Storm's known problems. I'm trying to determine if it is a software or hardware issue, but it is almost impossible to tell.

Has anyone found a probable cause for this charging problem? Is replacing the phone the only solution?

04-27-10 12:11 PM
    No charger at all works with your phone KarlyT? Or does it just take a long time to pick up on the charger? Do these work fine with your husband's phone?

To me, it sounds like a hardware issue of a problem with your USB (charger) port. For that, yes you would need to replace your phone.
    04-27-10 01:09 PM
    its probably the storm usb port
    04-27-10 01:39 PM
    I have started having this problem too. It always charges after a battery pull, and it almost always charges when plugged into my PC, but I will often have trouble with the wall charger. I am highly suspicious that it is a problem with the battery pins or the contacts on the battery itself. I think that it validates charging current to the battery and if it cant charge it properly for any reason it will say you have a bad charger. Maybe try cleaning the contacts with a cotton pad and some alcohol? Or if you are extreme, a piece of very high grit sandpaper to clean off any oxidation.
    04-27-10 02:09 PM
    yeah im having the same problem it wont pick up a charge from the wall outlet or computer but if i shut the phone off the led blinks organge, does that mean its charging?
    04-27-10 03:10 PM
    It's probably charging, just very very slowly. If there is oxidation on the pins (on the phone) or the contacts (on the battery) it can make it really hard to get a charge in. Did you try cleaning the pins and contacts? I took a tiny screwdriver, and very carefully used the flat edge of it on the battery contacts one at a time to rub off the oxidation (the white, dull finish that builds up). I focused on the side where the dots were pressed in by the phone pins. I have tested a few things in the past day but the problem never comes back so I don't know if it's gone or will just take longer to develop.
    04-27-10 03:33 PM
    jeffmeden ....I tried your idea. I took a very small screwdriver and did a mild scraping of my battery contacts (on the battery itself), the pins inside of the battery compartment, and also EVER so gently on the contacts in the usb port. SO FAR, I have been able to charge it via usb cable into the computer as well as with a wall charger.

I have little doubt that I'll hear the damn thing laughing at me by morning, but for now, it's charging. I'll report back and give an update. Thanks for the suggestion.
    04-27-10 09:09 PM
    This is the next day and so far, my Storm is still charging without an issue. Although there were no visible signs of oxidation, perhaps the contacts end up with some sort of coating after repeated use.

STRIKE THAT...worked for a while...then went back to not charging.
    Last edited by KarlyT; 04-28-10 at 04:05 PM.
    04-28-10 11:40 AM
    I am on day 3 with no charging complications ever since I cleaned the pins and contacts. I noticed that on my replacement phone there is a small piece of foam underneath the battery that makes it sit very snugly in place, but it also means it sits farther out than it used to on the old phone. I bet that this was the culprit and since the contacts oxidized, the battery wouldn't work well with the new phone until I cleaned them really well.

You can always step it up a notch and use actual electrical contact cleaner. They sell it at hardware or auto parts stores.
    04-29-10 09:25 AM
    At this point, I'm convinced it's the usb port, or beyond the usb. Today, it is showing the lightning bolt, but the small green/red flashing light in the upper right hand corner won't even flash. It has never done that before.

I've done all that I can. The refurb (ouch), will be arriving tomorrow. NOTE: My 1 yr. warranty was up by about 3 1/2 weeks. A clever tech support person at my local Verizon added an extended warranty to my account (for $1.99 a month), and in doing so, Verizon will now replace the phone at no cost. There is no minimun amount of time that I must keep the extended warranty, as far as I know.

I have to accept it. My baby is dead.
    04-29-10 03:50 PM
    The green/red light only comes on when the phone is off and charging, or in 'super low battery' state, < 5% which I think is red, its been a while since ive seen that. Otherwise the only charge indication i have ever seen is the lightning bolt.
    04-29-10 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD