Simple. It's owners.

I've been reading through these forums since I got my Storm 2 weeks ago, and it's absolutely irritating how many buys of this device "expect" and "demand" it to be flawless, full stop.

Outside of the fact that it's new technology and a 1st gen device, it's also about 6 weeks old! If I read one more post comparing how the storm functions compared to the iphone, I'm gonna punch out my own eyes. The iPhone is not 6 weeks old. It's also apples and oranges.

The main problem the Storm is having? Impatient users. A note to Storm users - take time to learn the device and the cool tips and tricks that can make it better unit. Implement simple "fixes" for bugs that have yet to be worked out with OS updates, and give the device a fighting chance before you write it off. If you don't have the patience to ride it out with this device, or find yourself continually comparing it to iPhone, return it (or don't get one to begin with).

At that point you can either wait for it to be more finely tuned before joining the bandwagon, pick up a more stable device like the Curve and live with that, or, alternately, get an iPhone (it seems for some this will be the only happy place).

Thank you. That is all.

*steps down from soap box*
    01-04-09 08:27 AM
    I love my Storm, but to be fair ...

I got my iPod Touch about a week after it came out and it has been completely flawless. Completely. I had expected the same of the Storm, but that has not been the case. I will get my 2nd replacement next week.
    01-04-09 08:30 AM
    I think the biggest problem is some of the users. Its just a phone. Its not going to be perfect and it certainly won't change your life. If you can accept that, then its a n
    ice device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 08:42 AM
    Dirt getting under the screen is the only problem I had and I think that it is a worthy demand not to have dirt inside a week old phone
    01-04-09 08:43 AM
    the only problem i have my storm is it doesn't vibrate hard enough, so i miss a lot of calls while it on vibrate. other than that i am well satisfied with my storm.
    01-04-09 08:45 AM
    Dirt getting under the screen is the only problem I had and I think that it is a worthy demand not to have dirt inside a week old phone
    That's my single complaint too. On my second one..........first went back due to the insane amount of dust under the screen. Surprise surprise, number two has dust as well. Aside from that issue, it's been an absolutely awesome device.
    01-04-09 08:48 AM
    Dust under screen (getting replacement), wobbly screen, and OS.
    01-04-09 08:55 AM
    From my experience, there isn't any problem big enough that stops it from being an incredible device. I really do love the thing.

I wouldn't go as far as to say perfect because there's no such thing. Anything is capable of becoming more perfected. With that said, it's a truly incredible device that will only become even better with time. You'd be shocked at just how much you can get out of this thing once you really start playing with it.

I haven't been noticing this dust under the screen issue that many have been talking about, but perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones. My biggest gripe with the phone is that if I look carefully enough I can notice space around the edges of the screen and see the backlight coming from behind the screen, but perhaps that's just a design par for the course considering the clickable screen design.

Definitely the best phone or personal organizer I've ever had the privilege of owning.
    01-04-09 08:57 AM
    I love my Storm, but to be fair ...

I got my iPod Touch about a week after it came out and it has been completely flawless. Completely. I had expected the same of the Storm, but that has not been the case. I will get my 2nd replacement next week.
    Huh - you are now comparing a MP3 player to a phone???? that makes a bunch of sense! I have had both iphones, and both have had major problems. And the iphone 3g still had many problems and they have been working / tweaking this phone for over 2 years now!!! The iphone is a TOY - period. If want a business phone, and toy and everything else you need the STORM. This will be the BEST end all that is around - its just needs some time and adjustments as everything else does in this world!!!

Iphone is for the novice user - and the STORM is for the ADVANCE user!!!
    01-04-09 08:58 AM
    Dont get me wrong " I am NOT a Storm hater " I am the executive Director of a Paramedic Service, The president of a Regional Council and a SWAT Paramedic so I must be connected. It took me two years to make the decision to switch to a new provider sionce I used NEXTEL for a long long time. I got excited when the storm came out and made the decision to switch my company. I had a lot of issues with the STORM. But I loved it ! I understand that it is new and have the patience to wait for them to fix the bugs. Anytime a new product comes out you WILL have issues. I recently ordered a curve because the service at my residence isnt as good as it would be with a curve. I know from experience as my wife can make calls from anywhere in the house and my storm is SOS. No big deal. I look forward to software improvements as well as upgraded devices. Have patience with your device and if it doesnt work for you switch to one you will like. It is practicle for me to switch because I must be connected. Good Luck
    01-04-09 09:00 AM
    another stick your head in the sand and call the storm perfect post
    priceless!!!!
    when a new device is launched its normal to expect a few glitches here and there...(Bold..Curve...88xx) the storm on the other hand is now a punch line for other BB owners...
    WTF was RIM and VZW thinking?
    and the fanboys can show up try to gloss over the Storm's problems ...too late for that.....
    Last edited by giantfan30; 01-04-09 at 09:09 AM.
    01-04-09 09:04 AM
    I haven't had any dust under my screen but I could see that being incredibly irritating.

I have not had any major hardware flaws, so in my opinion this device is pretty great. With time it will only get better. The more time I have spent with it, the more I appreciate how cool it is.

01-04-09 09:07 AM
    The only problem with my storm is the battery life. It really doesn't last long enough. I need more time to play with my storm. .
    01-04-09 09:27 AM
    A stable OS... For such a highly marketed device, this is not too much to ask for.

01-04-09 11:02 AM
    My storm 9530 is my first BB. I have used the iPhone and I like it too. Overall I am happy with all this device can do considering the price. I have faith that the minor issues I have experienced will be fixed with updates.

01-04-09 11:26 AM
    A few glitches????? The BOLD was delayed and delayed and fubared and then delayed again. iPhone they get updates what every 6 months to a year. At least RIM is pushing updates as fast as they can. BTW how is that more bars in more places working out. Can you hear me now???? No you must be on ATT...
    01-04-09 11:33 AM
    Agree wholeheartedly with OP! Too many people complain without even looking around for a solution!
    01-04-09 11:45 AM
    I also agree completely with the OP. I originally made my first post thinking it was a new owner looking to find out about any horror stories before jumping in and getting one themselves.

Everything said in the opening post rings true.
    01-04-09 11:52 AM
    I have a thread here that lists almost 50 people that I counted in about 30 minutes that are on their second, third, fourth, FIFTH and SIXTH Storm...

Sampling bias aside, there is no device that BB has made that can even approach that level of customer dis-satisfaction. Call it teething trouble if you want... Saying it was rushed out the door does nothing to assuage the hundreds if not thousands of people across the country for whom this was their first (and now possibly last) BB. When they total up the dozens of hours they have spent fighting customer service (and without a phone) ... its appalling.

I'm enough of a BB fanboy that I'd rather blame Vzw on the rush to get the Storm out in time for the holiday season... but in the current economy, whether a company sinks or swims is often based on the LEAST supportable margin they have...

And don't even start with the Bold... if the Storm hadn't been invented, the Bold would have won the "worst BB ever" award.

I wish instead of trying to be new and flashy, BB would get back to its "We are ugly but we work like ****" philosophy. THAT is what set them apart in the market... this sea change into "just another (well supported) smart-phone company with a dizzying array of choices" ... has come back to bite them in the a$$ ... hard.
    01-04-09 12:04 PM
    [QUOTE=SpicytacoTO;1329870]Simple. It's owners.

"The main problem the Storm is having? Impatient users."

The other problem is so many are trying to add so many apps that are just not ready and that may be playing a negative role on the phone. I had many challenges initially as I too did this so I reloaded the os and added no apps for now. Everything working great. I will slowly add some back as they are updated to work better as I really like Viigo.
    01-04-09 12:08 PM
    Very true re apps. Give it a few weeks and I can see there being some outstanding apps for this device.

01-04-09 12:19 PM
    Personally I feel you are either going to Love it or Hate it. There is no in the middle for this phone. I think it's a great phone and in time, will only get better.
    01-04-09 12:41 PM
    There are some little glitches in mine, but overall I like the Storm very much. The only thing that I find quite annoying is the massive delay between taking a pic and the camera reacting. I hope that software fixes will come in for that or I shall always have pics of turned heads.

I have used my friend's iPhone during a recent vacation, and while the camera worked very well, I have to say that I like the Storm's overal functioning better.
    01-05-09 09:43 AM
    The biggest and only problem for me is it's difficult navigating to certain parts of a letter/note/message to edit a word or spelling. Other than that I love it...

01-05-09 09:57 AM
    A few glitches????? The BOLD was delayed and delayed and fubared and then delayed again. iPhone they get updates what every 6 months to a year. At least RIM is pushing updates as fast as they can. BTW how is that more bars in more places working out. Can you hear me now???? No you must be on ATT...
    at least ATT was smart enough to delay the Bold till it was good enough for release
    and no i cant hear you right now i'm on a call and downloading some apps simultaneously
    when is this i have a better network farce gonna get tired for some of you verizon users?
    WOW!!...amazing how every time somebody talks about problems the storm has you fanboys want to talk about networks and grammar and other nonsense
    since you asked...ATT works fine for me ...where i live,work and roam i have 5 full bars of 3G....
    i am very happy with ATT and the service they provide now back to the Storm
    01-05-09 10:03 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD