Hey guys, I have two remaining issues (well three if you count Quickpull still not working) with my OS 5 update. First is this message that appears after each reset/reboot: "Uncaught exception: A browser content provider for video/3gpp MIME type has already been registered with the browser." Second is the fact that my memory, which is nearly gone. Screw you guys that boot up in the 30s or 40s! Mine boots with 10 now and drops from there. I do not use any themes and don't have a ton of apps.

If I bring in the phone with those issues, what are the techs likely to try? Just curious, I don't feel like wasting a trip as my local VZW store is usually pretty busy.
    10-30-09 10:16 PM
    So after some research, people seem to be pointing to UberTwitter as the source of this message:

"Uncaught exception: A browser content provider for video/3gpp MIME type has already been registered with the browser."

That sucks cause I love UberTwitter. Hopefully an update to it will fix this. Until then I may just deal with it because to me it has been my favorite Twitter client.

Still have to figure out this memory issue. Its extremely frustrating.
    10-30-09 10:22 PM
    It is irrelevant what they would say to be honest. Do yourself a huge favor and save the planet a gallon of gas by fixing this yourself. It's really easy to put a fresh install on the phone using shrink-a-os also during the process. 25 minutes and you will have an error free phone with 40+mb I promise. I will PM you the links and instructions. Official OS and all so if it still doesn't work you can take it back. Trust me.......

Here is how you get 40+MB:

Last edited by mcp770; 10-30-09 at 10:29 PM.
    10-30-09 10:23 PM
    Sounds like your three issues are all software based... I'd suggest using BBSAK to wipe your Storm and reload .328 fresh. Also, you can remove the .cod files for the sample pictures to free up some space. As for issues with 3rd party software, that isn't a Verizon or RIM issue, but a programming issue by the 3rd party software publisher. Hopefully they address the issue or somebody here finds a fix for it.
    10-30-09 10:32 PM
    It is irrelevant what they would say to be honest. Do yourself a huge favor and save the planet a gallon of gas by fixing this yourself. It's really easy to put a fresh install on the phone using shrink-a-os also during the process. 25 minutes and you will have an error free phone with 40+mb I promise. I will PM you the links and instructions. Official OS and all so if it still doesn't work you can take it back. Trust me.......
    Theres a pretty useful thread in this OS forum Here. Its a great tutorial on how to shrink your OS. I think i might reinstall 5.0 and shrink it this time but im booting at 27 and going up to 28 so idk
    10-30-09 10:34 PM

Here is how you get 40+MB:

If I could get that high on my memory I would be very happy. I am still new to BB so I have just been hesitant to do a wipe. That being said I was the same way when I did wipes and fresh installs on my first PC and my Mac years ago lol
    10-30-09 10:37 PM
    Theres a pretty useful thread in this OS forum Here. Its a great tutorial on how to shrink your OS. I think i might reinstall 5.0 and shrink it this time but im booting at 27 and going up to 28 so idk
    Would there be any differences doing this on a Mac?

EDIT: Read through that thread more and saw the program will not work on a Mac. The only PC I have is somewhat old and slow and annoys me to work with lol. Hopefully I can find a way to fix this memory issue.
    Last edited by LoS24; 10-30-09 at 10:51 PM.
    10-30-09 10:41 PM
    Would there be any differences doing this on a Mac?

EDIT: Read through that thread more and saw the program will not work on a Mac. The only PC I have is somewhat old and slow and annoys me to work with lol. Hopefully I can find a way to fix this memory issue.
    I do believe there are some free programs out there that allow you to run a windows environment inside a Mac. So you could download that program and then download windows and run shrink a os inside there along with desktop manager.
    10-30-09 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD