Background:

My first smartphone and BB was a Storm which I bought on launch day. Back in August I purchased a Tour after being frustrated with the Storm. I LOVE the Tour.

Opinion:

I tried out the Storm 2 and I was really impressed. This is what the Storm should of been. However I couldn't help but miss the keyboard shortcuts that the Tour has. There is no way the Storm 2 can match the speed of maneuvering around with the Tour! However the trade off is the smaller screen size on the Tour. So I guess that comes down to user opinion.

What I truly believe is missing in the Storm 2 is a faster processor ARM Cortex 9 or the newer ARM Cortex 11 and at least 1024MB of memory. I simply don't understand why RIM includes 2GB of onboard storage and doesn't make it application memory! GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In regards to the process RIM can never have a fast multimedia phone without a fast processor to support it (although the camera is pretty fast in the S2).
    10-29-09 09:19 AM
    you're insane...why the heck would you need that much memory??
    10-29-09 09:22 AM
    The only thing MY Storm 2 is lacking is...........my grubby little hands on it!!
    10-29-09 09:22 AM
    Your processor dreams will remain that for the CDMA market. I believe that Qualcomm has that locked down for now and the one that is in both storms is that fastest available for production at the moment. Though like everything else with technology that information is subject to change in 30 seconds.
    10-29-09 09:24 AM
    Thats what we said in '90s when a 100MB hard drive was enormous.
    10-29-09 09:25 AM
    The smartphone market isn't static. It is growing and advancing at an amazing rate. If you bought your phone on a 2 year contract you will have it for the next 2 years. Sure 256MB may get you by now, but in 2011?
    10-29-09 09:31 AM
    Your processor dreams will remain that for the CDMA market. I believe that Qualcomm has that locked down for now and the one that is in both storms is that fastest available for production at the moment. Though like everything else with technology that information is subject to change in 30 seconds.
    The Palm Pre has the ARM Cortex 9 as does the Droid. The new Samsung Android phone for VZW has a ARM Cortex 11. These are all CDMA phones.
    10-29-09 09:34 AM
    The Palm Pre has the ARM Cortex 9 as does the Droid. The new Samsung Android phone for VZW has a ARM Cortex 11. These are all CDMA phones.
    Battery life?
    10-29-09 09:50 AM
    Battery life?
    The battery life improved on the iphone 3GS over the iphone 3G. This is because the ARM Cortex 9 is made on the 65nm manufacturing technology and the ARM Cortex 11 is 45nm.
    10-29-09 09:54 AM
    Background:

My first smartphone and BB was a Storm which I bought on launch day. Back in August I purchased a Tour after being frustrated with the Storm. I LOVE the Tour.

Opinion:

I tried out the Storm 2 and I was really impressed. This is what the Storm should of been. However I couldn't help but miss the keyboard shortcuts that the Tour has. There is no way the Storm 2 can match the speed of maneuvering around with the Tour! However the trade off is the smaller screen size on the Tour. So I guess that comes down to user opinion.

What I truly believe is missing in the Storm 2 is a faster processor ARM Cortex 9 or the newer ARM Cortex 11 and at least 1024MB of memory. I simply don't understand why RIM includes 2GB of onboard storage and doesn't make it application memory! GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In regards to the process RIM can never have a fast multimedia phone without a fast processor to support it (although the camera is pretty fast in the S2).
    What specific shortcuts are you referring to?
    10-29-09 10:04 AM
    The battery life improved on the iphone 3GS over the iphone 3G. This is because the ARM Cortex 9 is made on the 65nm manufacturing technology and the ARM Cortex 11 is 45nm.
    apples and oranges, GSM and CDMA, two different technologies.
    10-29-09 10:08 AM
    All of the keyboard ones like "C" for compose, "R" for Reply, "F" for forward, "L" for reply to all. Speed dial from homescreen! Quick entry for calendar entries. These (among TONS more) shortcuts are great and I missed them when I went from my 8330 to my Storm. I then got the Tour and fell in love with them all over again.
    10-29-09 10:12 AM
    U for Calculator
    O for Options
    S for Search
    D for Documents
    G for Google Talk
    L for Calender
    Del for Delete
    C for Contacts
    V for Saved Messages
    B for Browser
    N for Blackberry Messanger
    M for Messages

In addition to those general shortcuts used in the main screen you can jump through the BB menu using the keyboard (press the button corresponding to the first letter in the option you want) as well as application shorts (tons in both the messages / email and browser). I can absolutely fly through the OS.
    10-29-09 10:13 AM
    Background:

Opinion:

The Motorola Droid uses the TI OMAP 3430 processor. The OMAP 3430 is based on ARM's Cortex-A8 architecture, which is newer and faster than the ARM11 used in previous Android devices.
    The Motorola Droid(Vzw) processor can be clocked up to 600MHz but is only clocked at 555Mhz. And is lighting fast!

People need to understand the the megahertz speed is a myth and it's not all about clock speed. It's about performance yield per clock. Hence why the processor in the Motorola Droid is as fast maybe faster than the 1GHz Snapdragon.
    10-29-09 10:18 AM
    The Motorola Droid uses the TI OMAP 3430 processor. The OMAP 3430 is based on ARM's Cortex-A8 architecture, which is newer and faster than the ARM11 used in previous Android devices.
    The Motorola Droid(Vzw) processor can be clocked up to 600MHz but is only clocked at 555Mhz. And is lighting fast!

People need to understand the the megahertz speed is a myth and it's not all about clock speed. It's about performance yield per clock. Hence why the processor in the Motorola Droid is as fast maybe faster than the 1GHz Snapdragon.
    Yeah thanks for the specific names. I knew there was a more correct name for it. There is a new Cortex A11 I believe. I read something on Engadget about a new Android Samsung phone for Verizon with it.

A higher Mhz processor will also be faster than a lower Mhz processor. The important thing is to realize it when making these comparisons the processor speed should be the ONLY difference in the processors. If you compare 2 different products then you introduce additional variables that influence performance.
    10-29-09 10:22 AM
    I don't need no stinkin shortcuts! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 10:23 AM
    by the way...the droid is ugly as sin. Who wants to hold a turd in their hand. Not I

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 10:24 AM
    U for Calculator
    O for Options
    S for Search
    D for Documents
    G for Google Talk
    L for Calender
    Del for Delete
    C for Contacts
    V for Saved Messages
    B for Browser
    N for Blackberry Messanger
    M for Messages

In addition to those general shortcuts used in the main screen you can jump through the BB menu using the keyboard (press the button corresponding to the first letter in the option you want) as well as application shorts (tons in both the messages / email and browser). I can absolutely fly through the OS.
    Quicklaunch.
    10-29-09 10:24 AM
    Yeah thanks for the specific names. I knew there was a more correct name for it. There is a new Cortex A11 I believe. I read something on Engadget about a new Android Samsung phone for Verizon with it.

A higher Mhz processor will also be faster than a lower Mhz processor. The important thing is to realize it when making these comparisons the processor speed should be the ONLY difference in the processors. If you compare 2 different products then you introduce additional variables that influence performance.
    The sentence in bold is incorrect. For example, the Droids processor is clocked at 555MHz, but it is faster than the Iphone which is clocked at 600MHz. I would have to say it's faster than both the 9000 & 9700 in some ways and both are clocked at 624MHz.
    It's not all about clock speed. It's about the core and the architecture. More MHz doesn't always mean faster processor.
    10-29-09 10:26 AM
    The sentence in bold is incorrect. For example, the Droids processor is clocked at 555MHz, but it is faster than the Iphone which is clocked at 600MHz. I would have to say it's faster than both the 9000 & 9700 in some ways and both are clocked at 624MHz.
    It's not all about clock speed. It's about the core and the architecture. More MHz doesn't always mean faster processor.
    Size of the data bus comes into play there as well. high MHz small data bus<lower MHz with a large data bus. The other issue that can come into play with the higher MHz and a small bus is battery life as the CPU is working it's but off trying to cram calculations through a small pipe.
    Last edited by gtstang462002; 10-29-09 at 10:33 AM.
    10-29-09 10:31 AM
    You obviously didn't really read what I said. When you compare 2 like processors, the higher Mhz will ALWAYS be faster. It isn't very useful to compare 2 processor speeds on different model processors when there are additional unconsidered variables.
    10-29-09 10:38 AM
    how is the cortex a8 clocked at 550 in the droid faster than the cortex a8 clocket at 600 on the iphone 3gs ? (i say 3gS, cause the older iphones neither had a 600mhz cpu, not a cortex a8 :P)

now on the initial post...

cortex A9 and A11 ? are you in 2009 ? :P

there is NO current phone running on the cortex a9 as far as i know, and i havent heard of the A11 at all :P (im not saying thath there is NO phone with A9 and that A11 doesnt exist, just that i havent heard of them, and, since so little phones come with A8 as of now, i doubt A9 will come this year :P )
    10-29-09 10:45 AM
    how is the cortex a8 clocked at 550 in the droid faster than the cortex a8 clocket at 600 on the iphone 3gs ? (i say 3gS, cause the older iphones neither had a 600mhz cpu, not a cortex a8 :P)

now on the initial post...

cortex A9 and A11 ? are you in 2009 ? :P

there is NO current phone running on the cortex a9 as far as i know, and i havent heard of the A11 at all :P (im not saying thath there is NO phone with A9 and that A11 doesnt exist, just that i havent heard of them, and, since so little phones come with A8 as of now, i doubt A9 will come this year :P )
    I'm telling you that the Motorola Droid is clocked at 555MHz and it blows the doors off the Iphone 3G S. Plain and simple.
    And I didn't say Cortex A8 I only said based on the same architecture. You will see.
    10-29-09 10:51 AM
    the iphone 3gS has a cortex A8, so you didnt need to say it :/

so, al in all, you would like to say that the cortex A8 clocked at 555mhz in the droid is faster than the one clocked at 600 on the 3gs :P

i would guess that Andoird is a faster OS on similar procesors, than the iphone os ?
    10-29-09 10:55 AM
    the iphone 3gS has a cortex A8, so you didnt need to say it :/

so, al in all, you would like to say that the cortex A8 clocked at 555mhz in the droid is faster than the one clocked at 600 on the 3gs :P

i would guess that Andoird is a faster OS on similar procesors, than the iphone os ?
    What I'm saying is the Motorola Droid runs as fast as other device/s using the Snapdragon and that the Droid blows the doors off the Iphone 3G S.
    10-29-09 11:01 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD