Just turning it off? Doing a battery pull? Both?
    12-11-08 07:18 PM
    i think a battery pull
    12-11-08 07:19 PM
    It means to reset the phone with software.
    12-11-08 07:21 PM
    It's like restarting your computer cand be down with the soft reset software or a battery pull

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 07:32 PM
    soft reset uses a application that forces the phone to reboot the same as if you pulled the battery. However its a software driven reboot instead of unplugging it.

hope this helps.
    12-11-08 07:35 PM
    soft reset uses a application that forces the phone to reboot the same as if you pulled the battery. However its a software driven reboot instead of unplugging it.

hope this helps.

Can you point me in the direction of this software?
    12-11-08 08:24 PM
    12-11-08 08:25 PM
    In the case of a Curve it is "ALT" "RIGHT SHIFT" "DEL" all at once. Do not attempt while driving :>)
    12-11-08 08:27 PM
    Proper steps to complete soft reset:

1. Phone powered on
    2. Pull battery
    3. Put battery back into the phone
    4. Device should power on automatically

This works on all phones, not just BB's.
    12-11-08 08:37 PM
    Proper steps to complete soft reset:

1. Phone powered on
    2. Pull battery
    3. Put battery back into the phone
    4. Device should power on automatically

This works on all phones, not just BB's.

thats not a soft reset thats a "hard" reset...

I think you have it confused. a soft reset is a non intrusive reboot of a computer/ device

for example going to a computer and pulling the plug out of the wall while turned on is considered a hard shutdown

pulling the battery forces a a loss in energy to the phone and forces it to shut off being a Hard reset not soft.

some bb's include a soft reset as mentioned with the curve

others are forced to use applications to do it..

much like clicking reboot on a computer screen..

doing it soft performs almost identical in a phone as if you pulled the battery.
    12-11-08 09:16 PM
    thats not a soft reset thats a "hard" reset...

I think you have it confused. a soft reset is a non intrusive reboot of a computer/ device

for example going to a computer and pulling the plug out of the wall while turned on is considered a hard shutdown

pulling the battery forces a a loss in energy to the phone and forces it to shut off being a Hard reset not soft.
    A soft reset (pulling the batter while the phone is powered on) will reset the device without losing any data. A hard reset will erase content (contacts, tasks, etc.) from the device and will require that the person complete a restore of their information.

If you hold the power key down on a computer for 10 seconds or unplug it from its power source, when it regains power Windows should ask you how you want the OS to boot (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc.) If you have to reinstall the OS then hopefully you will have a backup of your application on your C: drive or on an external hard drive so that you can retrieve your information.

Believe me, I am not confused.
    12-11-08 09:27 PM
    Actually... no... a soft reset is using software, and the unit still has power. A hard reset is pulling the battery. But they both have the same effect.
    12-11-08 09:31 PM
    Lol I always thought for a battery pull you turned the phone off first. I'm an *****!

12-11-08 09:36 PM

Many thanks! It's appreciated.
    12-11-08 09:47 PM
    A soft reset (pulling the batter while the phone is powered on) will reset the device without losing any data. A hard reset will erase content (contacts, tasks, etc.) from the device and will require that the person complete a restore of their information.

If you hold the power key down on a computer for 10 seconds or unplug it from its power source, when it regains power Windows should ask you how you want the OS to boot (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc.) If you have to reinstall the OS then hopefully you will have a backup of your application on your C: drive or on an external hard drive so that you can retrieve your information.

Believe me, I am not confused.

i still and always think that the way your thinking about it is still wrong.. I have been in the IT field for long enough to know the terms

when pulling the battery out when its on there is always a chance of bricking the device there for losing data just like when you pull the power on a computer its the same concept..

thats a hard shutdown/reset..

its rare for a bb to brick when pulling the battery but it has happened

go take a a current 2 year course in the IT field they usually cover this pretty extensively..

its also listed in many PC microsoft books and other IT based books..

anytime you remove power from a computer/phone/ etc that does not have a backup battery or power source

its considered shutting it off or resetting it "hard"

so yes I believe you should check into it.

and to further it I did a small search on google..

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...set-curve.html

and if you notice curves came with a function maybe some others also that when you hold alt etc plus other things it performs a "soft reset" as stated by rim..

I have also looked at other documentation right now about hard reset vs soft reset.. on other smart phones...

and yes there was a time apparently that wiping the device was considered a hard reset.. but hard resetting a BB has been deemed as pulling the battery.. wiping info is a device wipe..

it looks like that was a term used for palm and pocket pc's....

another problem I noticed in confusion is that microsoft themself deemed it as that yet then changed the terms and meanings of the same crap in different documentation..

ohh well.. I guess I shouldn't say your completely wrong but when talking about a BB for sure pulling the battery is a hard reset. Resetting to factory is wiping the info which is located in the menu..

no matter which way you look at it Bringing it down hard is removing the power to a pc/device stopping all running processes...

another good way to look at it if the bb didn't auto save things.. if you had a word document open and pulled the battery.. it wouldn't have time to even try and save it..

thats HARD
    Last edited by noaim; 12-11-08 at 10:12 PM.
    12-11-08 09:53 PM
    soft reset is using the program soft reset or the commands on the curve. hard reset is pulling battery, or batt. pull while the device is on, and then reinserting the battery 20 seconds later
    12-11-08 10:10 PM
    i still and always think that the way your thinking about it is still wrong.. I have been in the IT field for long enough to know the terms

when pulling the battery out when its on there is always a chance of bricking the device there for losing data just like when you pull the power on a computer its the same concept..

thats a hard shutdown/reset..

its rare for a bb to brick when pulling the battery but it has happened

go take a a current 2 year course in the IT field they usually cover this pretty extensively..

its also listed in many PC microsoft books and other IT based books..

anytime you remove power from a computer/phone/ etc that does not have a backup battery or power source

its considered shutting it off or resetting it "hard"

so yes I believe you should check into it.

and to further it I did a small search on google..

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...set-curve.html

and if you notice curves came with a function maybe some others also that when you hold alt etc plus other things it performs a "soft reset" as stated by rim..

so I have no clue were you got your info but its incorrect..
    If she were to call any cellular company and ask a representative to tell her how to do a "soft reset" on her cell phone, which is the original question that she had, she would be told to remove the battery while the phone is powered on. Yes, there are other ways to do it & even the BB site gives details on how to do what they call a proper soft reset & a master reset (also referred to as a hard reset in the cellular industry), but it doesn't have to be that technical.

This isn't a pissing contest. Let it go.
    12-11-08 10:13 PM
    If she were to call any cellular company and ask a representative to tell her how to do a "soft reset" on her cell phone, which is the original question that she had, she would be told to remove the battery while the phone is powered on. Yes, there are other ways to do it & even the BB site gives details on how to do what they call a proper soft reset & a master reset (also referred to as a hard reset in the cellular industry), but it doesn't have to be that technical.

Let's try it!

12-11-08 10:29 PM

I know but the original question is

What is a soft reset anyway..

is it not?

what a question like that is asked... it has nothing to do with a pissing contest its finding out the true meaning behind the defintition.. I am not hostyle nor do I have anything against the people I am discussing this with..

By answering and getting responses it gives me just as much info as I hope to provide to the person asking..

this is a forum for dicussing people think it gets personal.. this is not personal this is just a discussion if people take what I said in a wrong way I apologize theres a difference between being a jacka$$ and simply having a discussion and I do not want to misinform people of a true definition.
    12-11-08 10:30 PM
    Just turning it off? Doing a battery pull? Both?
    Pulling the battery from the device while it is still powered on.
    12-11-08 10:57 PM
    Pulling the battery from the device while it is still powered on.

as you continue to not be open to what im saying I will give you another complete writeup on the definition..

RIM BlackBerry tip: Hard v. soft resets | ITworld

these a complete GO OVER of what each reset is DEFINED by RIM.

I am not trying to break your way of life or define it as stated but your refusing to realize the truth in the way its defined read that article please!

if you give the wrong terms used by the manufacturer people will never know....

BlackBerry Hard Reset
    Finally, if neither soft nor double soft resets do the trick, or you suspect your BlackBerry performance issues are associated with hardware or a network connection, you may want to perform a hard reset or battery pull.
    Doing a hard reset on a Java-based BlackBerry--all of RIM's 8xxx series device are Java-based--is literally as simple as removing and replacing your BlackBerry battery. To reset BlackBerry smartphones that aren't Java-based, such as the 850/950 and 857/957, you need to insert a pin or paperclip into the tiny holes in the devices' rear panels.
    and directly from the rim website

Overview

To perform a hard reset on BlackBerry smartphones
    1. Remove the battery cover.
    2. Remove and reinsert the BlackBerry battery to reset the BlackBerry smartphone.
    3. Replace the battery cover.
    which is found at this link ... View Document

later down the road if the OP is reading a manual for a blackberry smart phone and the book states to do a hard reset you don't want people wiping there phone when thats not what rim meant to tell you...
    Last edited by noaim; 12-11-08 at 11:17 PM.
    12-11-08 11:09 PM
    reposted from blackberryfaq dot com

Differences between hard, soft, and master resets

Resetting the BlackBerry device is a useful way to resolve issues and is usually the first step in troubleshooting the BlackBerry device. Knowing the differences between a hard, soft, double-soft, and master reset ensures that the correct troubleshooting method has been chosen.

Note: Backup all applications before resetting the BlackBerry device using the Backup and Restore tool on the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Performing a SOFT reset on the BlackBerry device
    Performing a soft reset stops all applications on the BlackBerry device by pressing the ALT+RIGHT SHIFT(CAP)+DELETE keys. A soft reset re-establishes communication between the BlackBerry device and the computer.

Note: This does not apply to the BlackBerry� Pearl� smartphone.

Performing a DOUBLE-SOFT reset on the BlackBerry device
    Performing a double-soft reset stops all applications on the BlackBerry device and is nearly the equivalent of a hard reset. Timing however is critical. Perform a soft reset by pressing the ALT+RIGHT SHIFT(CAP)+DELETE keys. The screen will go blank. When the screen is no longer black, press the ALT+RIGHT SHIFT(CAP)+DELETE keys again. You should then see another blank screen followed by an hour glass.

Note: This does not apply to the BlackBerry� Pearl� smartphone.

Performing a HARD reset on the BlackBerry device
    The first step in troubleshooting a network, software or hardware error is often to perform a hard reset. With Java� based devices, this is accomplished by removing the battery, while the BlackBerry device is powered on. Hold the battery out for about 30 seconds, and replace. The BlackBerry device will reboot.

Note: A hard reset on a C++ based device is accomplished by pressing the Reset button.

Note: To perform a hard reset on a RIM models 850, 857, 950, or 957 device, insert the end of a paperclip inside the small hole on the back of the handheld.

Performing a MASTER reset
    The master reset feature is not available on the BlackBerry device and is only applicable to selected manufacturer devices. A master reset removes all user-installed applications and data, including BlackBerry Connect software. For more about master resets, contact your service provider.
    12-11-08 11:12 PM
    go take a a current 2 year course in the IT field they usually cover this pretty extensively
    That comment was personal. I don't work in the IT field however I hold an Associate of Arts Degree in Business Management. I am CompTIA A+ Certified as a Remote Desktop Support Technician and I have completed courses for my MCDST. I am currently obtaining my Bachelors Degree in Information Technology and my mentor works for Microsoft. I think that adds up to more than 2 years of education.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. This original question was a simple one and there is a simple response to go with it.
    12-11-08 11:15 PM
    Relax ladies, you're both pretty.
    12-11-08 11:16 PM
    Soft, hard and Wipe Handheld.... lets not get it twisted. Not that anyone cares.
    12-11-08 11:24 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD