Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Recall storm 9500's & 9530's

10 37.04%
  • Discontinue storm 9500's & 9530's

5 18.52%
  • Introduce Storm 2 as a Storm 1 distraction

12 44.44%
    To me it seems like RIM has decided to come out with the Storm 2 to cover the losses they are taking on the Storm 1. They are taking a hit with all the replaced phone because of the screen. so, instead of recalling the device or discontinuing it (looking bad for putting out a sub-par mechanism), they put out the exact same phone that doesnt have the possible problem the first storm had with the screen click.

Its a very smart move by RIM in my opinion. (sucks for us 9530 owners though). They can distract consumers from buying the storm 1 and potentially returning without all of the criticism they may have taken if they discontinued or recalled the device.
    05-22-09 07:47 AM
    To me it seems like RIM has decided to come out with the Storm 2 to cover the losses they are taking on the Storm 1. They are taking a hit with all the replaced phone because of the screen. so, instead of recalling the device or discontinuing it (looking bad for putting out a sub-par mechanism), they put out the exact same phone that doesnt have the possible problem the first storm had with the screen click.

Its a very smart move by RIM in my opinion. (sucks for us 9530 owners though). They can distract consumers from buying the storm 1 and potentially returning without all of the criticism they may have taken if they discontinued or recalled the device.
    To cover the losses? You are freakin kidding me right? Do you have any clue as to just how well this device has sold and continues to sell? Maybe you should look at the financial statements for RIM and VZW for that matter. This device is causing nothing but better than expected profits for both companies.

They have absolutely no reason to discontinue or recall the Storm.

Second, the new device is just a improvement in technology. It happens with nearly every product sold. Just with hi tech gadgets the improvements are very quick.
    05-22-09 08:04 AM
    totally unfounded speculation. worst poll ever. you're implicating that the storm was a failture...which it wasn't. this is as close to a rant as possible. i want to report it to be moved but idk if they'll even move it.

glad you got here first madphone, idk, i might have been banned again for "YKW"...
    05-22-09 03:09 PM
    Don't get me wrong. We all knew it would eventually happen. I really don't believe the Storm 1 will be just pushed aside so easily. There are a lot of people still using them and it still salvageable.
    05-22-09 03:12 PM
    Come out with OS 6.0 and blow us all away!! Not push us aside and move onto the next Storm.
    05-22-09 03:43 PM
    The smartest move is for them to Market BOTH DEVICES! That way they can get/keep everyone who loves the SurePress and they can now also get the people who want the phone but didn't get it BECAUSE OF SurePress!

That, my friends, is the best move.
    05-22-09 11:05 PM
    RIM has made the smart move. It obviously saved money by not properly engineering and developing the Storm 1...and it sold millions. Now they'll probably do the same under the guise of Storm 2...and a lot of people will buy it b/c RIM has a decent reputation. Look at the number of people who are unhappy with the storm yet willing to make RIM richer by purchasing the Bold, Curve, or Tour? Only the auto industry can compete for this level of foolish loyalty.

The bottom line is, as long as Verizon stocks its assortment of truly pathetic smartphones the Storm (or its replacement) will continue to sell well. Verizon has a great network and people don't want to leave it. It's a great situation for RIM. As crappy as the storm may be, it does seem to be far ahead of the average verizon phone (that's not saying much for it though..).
    05-23-09 01:43 AM
    i dont think that its as simple as we are making it

im sure there is a team at verizon that is speculating storm 1 sales vs upgrades vs new sales vs lost customers vs how much money theyd make giving a cheap upgrade vs how much money theyd save refurbing and replacing storm1s over the next 18 months of lunch day contracts etc

as for me, the storm 2 is really going to kill my ability to sell my storm 1 and buy a Tour
    05-23-09 11:21 AM
    NONE OF THE ABOVE!!
    05-23-09 11:23 AM
    I have to agree, the poll options seem to show a certain erm.. bias to get the desired result.
    05-23-09 11:35 AM
    WTS?

op did you ever think that the storm2 might just be a new flavour of storm. I mean it's not like RIM made a bb and a flip version of that bb and sell both....

Either way, the current storms will not shut down or explode when the new model comes out.
    05-23-09 11:42 AM
    Recall occurs ONLY when the product is not working at all or is broken. Mine is working PERFECTLY FINE and I am still running .75. The phone is better than any other phones that I ever have. So the word recall does not really fit for the Storm 1.

The introduction of Storm 2 is no different than the introduction of iPhone 3g just 1 year after the introduction of the original iPhone. So had Apple recalled the original iPhone when they released the iPhone 3g?

The life span of mobile device is getting shorter and shorter. The introduction of Storm 2 is just a natural evolution. No more and no less.
    Last edited by substring; 05-23-09 at 05:29 PM.
    05-23-09 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD