Does any insider have info on what the latest OS build version is?
    10-30-08 05:13 PM
    Last I heard was 4.7.0.53 but I am sure they are past that now.
    10-30-08 05:16 PM
    10-30-08 05:16 PM
    That was the OS on the phones demo-ed at the party. I'm pretty sure there are much more updated and efficient versions available already. Like CX said, when one build is sent to Verizon, by the time Verizon makes a decision, there are already two builds behind it.
    10-30-08 05:26 PM
    The Bolds were released with .125 I think, and it wasn't till .160's that they became stable and fast enough to be what they should have been. I believe AT&T's .167 or .168 is the version that was good enough for them.

If the Storm is at .55 now, or was a couple weeks ago, my best guess is 2 - 3 months until they're stable and fast at release .80.
    10-30-08 05:46 PM
    I have never owned a Blackberry before, but is updating the OS easy?
    10-30-08 05:49 PM
    I have never owned a Blackberry before, but is updating the OS easy?
    Very easy. I've had several blackberries and I can't remember ever having a problem upgrading. It's certainly easier than WM and having to flash the hole phone, IMHO.
    10-30-08 05:56 PM
    They are past .53 to say the very least.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 06:00 PM
    How do you go about updating the OS? Is it just sent to you like an alert? Or do you have to go somwhere and get it done?

10-30-08 06:01 PM
    To add to Tumaz04's question...when you update...do you have to reload all your data...contact, calendar, etc. ?
    10-30-08 06:03 PM
    Crucial, what are they at? Come, just tell us. I did play with .53 last night at the event and although the phone was great, it still needed a lot of work to make it run smoother. I had higher expectations though since you told us the latest versions fixed the buggy layout. Maybe it was just those specific units.
    10-30-08 06:03 PM
    The latest I can tell you about is .58
    10-30-08 07:21 PM
    From intomobile.com... 9/19/08

While OS 4.7 is still being tweaked and fine-tuned for the impending BlackBerry 9530 Storm launch, early betas of OS 5.0 are floating around inside RIM. Now, before those of you packing older devices start freaking out about being phased out of the software loop, don�t worry - this particular build was for the Curve. It should bring all the amenities of 4.6 (like the Clock application), but new to the scene is the Files app. This should eventually provide remote network access to work files (presumably over the BlackBerry Enterprise Server), a service that third parties have been providing for awhile (like Wicksoft). Will these software vendors be left in the dust once their functionality is built right into the device, or is RIM licensing them? One way or the other, the function�s not working just yet, but it�s something to look forward to.

I think 4.7.xx is a short lived OS personally...
    10-30-08 07:22 PM
    Not sure if you can say, but is your phone as "laggy" and everything else as been said or is it being judged too soon again?

10-30-08 07:33 PM
    From intomobile.com... 9/19/08

While OS 4.7 is still being tweaked and fine-tuned for the impending BlackBerry 9530 Storm launch, early betas of OS 5.0 are floating around inside RIM. Now, before those of you packing older devices start freaking out about being phased out of the software loop, don�t worry - this particular build was for the Curve. It should bring all the amenities of 4.6 (like the Clock application), but new to the scene is the Files app. This should eventually provide remote network access to work files (presumably over the BlackBerry Enterprise Server), a service that third parties have been providing for awhile (like Wicksoft). Will these software vendors be left in the dust once their functionality is built right into the device, or is RIM licensing them? One way or the other, the function�s not working just yet, but it�s something to look forward to.

I think 4.7.xx is a short lived OS personally...
    5.0 isn't going to be ready for quite a while. While it's nice and there are some definite changes, it's buggy. And it definitely hasn't been adopted for touch screen technology.
    10-30-08 07:34 PM
    How do you go about updating the OS? Is it just sent to you like an alert? Or do you have to go somwhere and get it done?

To add to Tumaz04's question...when you update...do you have to reload all your data...contact, calendar, etc. ?
    No offense, but go read some posts in the FAQ/HELP forum. All the info is there. OS loads on BBs is basically the same for all of them. Spend some time in other forums and you'll be ready for when you get the device in your hands. You'll already know what you need to know to move ahead with your new device.
    10-30-08 07:42 PM
    At least RIM is working hard to bring out a more stable OS.

Possible that a higher OS revision is out and about, being tested.

Thanks CX.
    10-30-08 07:43 PM
    Thanks a lot Crucial for responding. While I doubt .58 has improved that much, I do think it will continue to improve over time. I just hope Verizon continues to release the phone around Nov 14-16th with a stable enough version to hold off customers temporarily until newer updates are released.
    10-30-08 07:53 PM
    Possible that a higher OS revision is out and about, being tested.

Thanks CX.
    i agree. if CX feels comfortable about talking about a particular release, it's pretty safe to say that they are beyond that release now, by at least one generation, if not more than that.
    10-30-08 08:06 PM
    i agree. if CX feels comfortable about talking about a particular release, it's pretty safe to say that they are beyond that release now, by at least one generation, if not more than that.
    I have a question since my knowledge of revision code is limited:

Which numerical value and position, when changed, constitutes a generation advancement?

Example: The previous OS rev. code was 4.7.0.58; the current OS code is 4.7.0.59.

Does that 1-unit integer increase of the last digit represents a new
    generation?

(my apologies for this simple question)
    10-30-08 08:50 PM
    I have a question since my knowledge of revision code is limited:

Which numerical value and position, when changed, constitutes a generation advancement?

Example: The previous OS rev. code was 4.7.0.58; the current OS code is 4.7.0.59.

Does that 1-unit integer increase of the last digit represents a new
    generation?

(my apologies for this simple question)
    The last two digits. The build before .58 was .53
    10-30-08 08:51 PM
    Thanks for info CX
    10-30-08 08:58 PM
    The last two digits. The build before .58 was .53
    Hopefully the build that will be accepted will be .63...
    or something in the 6's and 7's not....
    .99 or .32984329483249
    10-30-08 10:11 PM
    Hopefully the build that will be accepted will be .63...
    or something in the 6's and 7's not....
    .99 or .32984329483249
    4.7.3.14159 sounds better
    10-31-08 12:26 AM
    4.7.3.14159 sounds better
    Can you convert that to degrees for me?
    10-31-08 01:55 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD