Hi.

I am running an unlocked Storm. It was running .78 but upgraded yesterday due to the awful shutter lag on the camera, about 4 seconds.

.106 is pretty quick compared and I love it but I don't like the reduced colour depth.

So my question is, what was the last decent OS that had the quick shutter but no loss of colour depth?

Thanks
    02-22-09 04:27 PM
    the color depth is what makes it slow.

its not even like its that bad without it. id rather have speed then "color depth"
    02-22-09 04:32 PM

its not even like its that bad without it. id rather have speed then "color depth"
    Didn't .90 have full color depth? and wasn't it very fast..
    02-22-09 04:39 PM

If thats true...then ive lost all faith in this phone. How can you possibly make a smart phone and boast about its beautiful color screen and then take it away from us and give us some nasty looking color bands? Is the phone really that weakly equipped that it cant handle full color depth?
    02-22-09 06:23 PM
    it decreased color at .99
    02-22-09 06:36 PM
    If thats true...then ive lost all faith in this phone. How can you possibly make a smart phone and boast about its beautiful color screen and then take it away from us and give us some nasty looking color bands? Is the phone really that weakly equipped that it cant handle full color depth?
    Well put. I couldnt agree more. If we cant have the speed and color, this phone is a shameful waste of time.
    02-22-09 06:37 PM
    The one without the color depth issues were .90, I honestly don't see *ANY* lag issues with it.. Using .109's files with .90's radio file - No lag at all. The color depth doesn't make it any slower or faster.
    02-22-09 06:47 PM
    The one without the color depth issues were .90, I honestly don't see *ANY* lag issues with it.. Using .109's files with .90's radio file - No lag at all. The color depth doesn't make it any slower or faster.
    Is the radio file the culprit? As in if I update my phone to .109 with that file will I have my color depth back?
    02-22-09 07:35 PM
    The whole color depth thing was not a problem for me, as most of my wall papers were of hi-res, until I supported a few members here and bought some themes. Some of these themes are awesome but the banding on the theme makes it awful. I know they should have used hi-res backgrounds but..........
    02-22-09 07:48 PM
    Well put. I couldnt agree more. If we cant have the speed and color, this phone is a shameful waste of time.
    Well said. If RIM needs to reduce color depth in order to make the Storm perform well, then they need to fire the design and development teams.

I can't remember exactly where, but I recall someone posting previously that this was a result of a bug in the jpeg decoding lib introduced after .99, as pngs still show full color depth. If that's true, then there's no reason why this can't be corrected with the next official firmware update.
    02-22-09 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD