Guys,
    Just slipped and fell on some ice while coming in to work this morning and managed to break my screen. I've filed a claim with Assurion, but what type of phones are they shipping out as replacements? Are they refurbs? Thanks...
    01-28-09 11:41 AM
    How long until you get your replacement? And how was the process?
    01-28-09 11:55 AM
    Why two threads?
    01-28-09 11:55 AM
    I don't know...I got a "server failed" message" when I posted and I assume it must've double posted. Mods, please delete the other thread.
    Gnr-met, I did it online and they stated it would be here tomorrow. Thanks.

By the way, response in the other thread was I'd get a new Storm.
    01-28-09 12:15 PM
    Maybe you should call Asurion and ask them.
    01-28-09 12:20 PM
    I believe its refurb. I talked to VZ rep who mentioned Assurion to me and said that he has it and they sent him phone only but looked new.
    01-28-09 12:25 PM
    I got one today and it was in a sealed box just like when I got it on release day. I don't think it's a refurb but I'm not sure how to tell if it is or not.
    01-28-09 12:42 PM
    Was the seal on the box sealed? In other words, you were the only one who broke it? If so, its probably new.

Like VZ at the start of launch, there was no refurbs to replace new. So they could be in the same boat but takes them longer to get refurbs from RIM.
    01-28-09 12:47 PM
    From what I've heard, usually you get a refurb but sometimes they send out new ones. I'm not sure how the selection works, but if you go to the vzw site and read the info about it they state it some where in there.
    01-28-09 12:50 PM
    I was under the impression that Assurion claims would be refurbs. Also, if a phone is replaced under standard 1 year warranty, I hear those are refurbs as well. Who knows?
    01-28-09 12:51 PM
    My box was sealed and looked identical to the one I purchased on release day. I have everything in the box - chargers, cd, booklets, etc. I can't tell any difference between the two.

I think it's new. It would be hard to convince me it was a refurb.

Of course it doesn't really matter - since I dropped it in milk I haven't been able to hear out of the earpiece so I'm just thankful to be able to use it normally now.
    01-28-09 12:56 PM
    If its sealed, its new. I guess Assurion hasnt gotten refurbs yet. They are pretty much doing what Verizon did when the Storm was launched.
    01-28-09 01:08 PM
    I went and pulled this straight from VZW site about equipment protection with Asurion:

Asurion may fulfill claims with new or refurbished equipment. In general, claims are fulfilled with the same make and model you claim. If this is not possible, a like-kind make and model will be substituted. Color, feature and accessory compatibility are not guaranteed.

Hope that clears things up for you.
    01-28-09 01:14 PM
    wow, a new storm eh? Did you have to pay the 50 beans as a deductible?
    01-28-09 01:24 PM
    Yes I paid the deductible. I've never received a new phone from Asurion before. They have always sent me refurbs. I was expecting a refurb and was shocked to open this brand new box today.
    01-28-09 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD