Wow... guys, this is getting ridiculous. When will you guys accept the fact that the Storm is an epic failure?
    Using the word "epic" makes you sound like a kid or high-schooler at best. Trust me ... it does.
    11-24-08 10:58 AM
    I love how each one of you is taking such offense to my post. I love reading your replies as I sit here with a sheepish smile on my face. I thank each and every one of your for entertaining me for the last hour in this thread. Continue to do so if you so shall desire.
    It's funny how you think this actually upsets people. You sit there getting off to people's comments. The fact that you need to be entertained by a thread speaks volumes about how your opinion on anything is not warranted.
    11-24-08 11:02 AM
    Using the word "epic" makes you sound like a kid or high-schooler at best. Trust me ... it does.
    At least this "kid" or "high-schooler" knows better than to allow himself to sit here in denial claiming that a phone with major blatant issues is "great" and "not so bad" and will be fixed in the next update. You my friend, are the type of person P.T. Barnum had in mind when he arguably said "there's a sucker born every minute."
    11-24-08 11:03 AM
    At least this "kid" or "high-schooler" knows better than to allow himself to sit here in denial claiming that a phone with major blatant issues is "great" and "not so bad" and will be fixed in the next update. You my friend, are the type of person P.T. Barnum had in mind when he arguably said "there's a sucker born every minute."
    Wow... that was epic!!!
    11-24-08 11:05 AM
    You my friend, are the type of person P.T. Barnum had in mind when he arguably said "there's a sucker born every minute."
    11-24-08 11:05 AM
    11-24-08 11:06 AM
    Let me first say that I have no allegiance to any phone or company. I have been using a BB for work for the past 3 years and it’s an email/calendar/contacts powerhouse. Due to my company’s strict IT policy – that’s about all it does. I have no third party apps and the web rarely works.

The bought the Storm because I decided that I need a personal phone that can do the things I want.

See my thread for a real world experience with the Storm, it’s called “The Storm is like Steven Hawking”

Anway, Bobby really hit the nail on the head. Talking to some people about this phone is like talking to a McCain or Obama supporter. No matter who you supported, both did or said some really dumb things. You KNOW they were dumb, you cringed when you heard about it…..BUT you dismissed it because you know at the core what they believe and in the long run everything will work out.

Right now I personally don’t like my Storm. I have never owned an iphone but I am leaning on taking the Storm back and getting the iphone – but because of all of these passionate BB users I am sitting here waiting for this miracle upgrade.

If you take away your bias for the phone, whether it is the iphone or Storm – think about what Bobby said.

Out of the box nothing is perfect, I will agree with that. But the Storm like getting a new sports car but all the tires are little 100 mile spares. The car has the potential to scream around the city but you have to go slow and wait for the tires to ship.

People want the Storm to be an amazing phone (me included) but they are blinded by there devotion and love of BB.

I can honestly say I have NEVER done this much research for a consumer product before I purchased it and I am an electronics freak. I have literally done my own version of pros and cons for both phones and what keeps me holding on to my Storm is faith. I even bribed a friend with some beers last night. I bribed them to sit and listen to me rant on what I should do. You would have thought I was talking about putting my family pet down. I even wrote down on an envelope the lists of apps I want for an iphone but when she asked me why keep the Storm – I told her that they should have some great apps soon too. (March)

So I wouldn’t jump on Bobby (or me) but think about this. If you have to jerry-rig this phone to get it to run smoothly, that is a problem. BB is an amazing product and has a loyal following of devoted users.

If you take off the glasses of “RIM can do no wrong” you can see that this Storm is deficient in things – look at the poll Kevin put up, people but satisfied but know it will get better. That’s a huge testament to the BB following. If I got some other electronics and it wasn’t perfect out of the box I would probably return it without thinking.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. People can’t just sit there and let other people enjoy a product – it’s just nuts. I work for a brewery and I see people passionately and sometimes violently argue over there favorite beer at beer festivals.

People are bizarre.

Did the Bold have a rocky release like this? I am not informed enough on that.
    11-24-08 11:07 AM
    Wow... guys, this is getting ridiculous. When will you guys accept the fact that the Storm is an epic failure?

The software is horrible... Everyone says that the quirks will be updated in the next OS update. Do you realize that RIM claims it has been working on this phone since before Apple dreamed of the iPhone? If that's the case, then this phone has likely been in development for over 2 years. If RIM hasn't smoothed these software problems out in the past two years, what makes you think it'll be able to do so in the week since the Storm's release? All of you allowing RIM a chance to take a second bite at the apple (pun intended!) to get the release right are waiting for disappointment.

And now I just read a post about putting a napkin between the battery and the battery door to make the click screen work better! Are you kidding me?!?!? This is absolutely absurd! Everyone who claims this phone is great is in complete denial.

Bad software + putting napkins in a phone to make it function better = failure! Just think about how absurd this is.

I think my posts here make it clear I'm no Apple or WM fan-boy. I have a Curve now and was excited about the Storm. I have spent lots of time in-store playing with the store models, knowing full well that every Joe and Sally in town have been mucking around with the same unit before I walk in. And I am still waiting patiently until I hear reviews after the OS update before I consider buying the Storm, but I must say I agree that this was an unmitigated failure by RIM and VZW. Even though many here love their phones, there is no denying that problems exist that should have never been there at launch. Some may write this off as a penalty for being on the bleeding edge of technology, but when a phone has been in development for over two years, there is no reason for the types of problems we've been consistently seeing.

It would be perfectly understandable if the phone reacted strangely, for instance, when a third-party application is installed, or when some random set of events (e.g. launch an app while actuating the accelerometer, etc.) cause the phone to malfuction. These are all unique scenarios that can slip through testing. But the types of problems we are hearing about speak to one simple fact: there was inadequate quality control and testing of this device.

Screens that don't press down equally in all ares. Batteries that need additional girth to make the phone work properly. A click screen that does not adequately seal its edges to prevent dust and liquid from getting bewteen the panes. Even the accelerometer -- this is one of the most basic features of a touch-screen full-screen phone -- and it was not implemented correctly right out the door on the majority of units. That is simply unacceptable, and speaks to poor quality control of both software AND hardware.

I fully understand those who are BB fans (as I am) wanting to give this phone extra latitude and wait breathlessly for an OS update that they hope will cure all ills, but we should never have been put in this position -- defending a sub-par phone release and hanging our hopes on a software update less than three days after the thing ships. And I dare say the software update is more than likely to disappoint those who think it will solve EVERYTHING, as some of these flaws appear to be form-factor related (e.g. the less-than-intuitive method for inserting a cursor between two letters of existing text); this screams of the need for a simple trackball or d-pad which could have easily made its way onto this phone without detracting from the touch-screen experience.

I am a long-time Verizon customer, and love their network coverage, so I will remain a customer, and the iPhone is not, at present, a consideration for me. But because my goal is to find a full-screen device with maximum convergence, I am taking a step back and looking at whether my next phone (after my current Curve) will be another Blackberry.

I am planning to look at the Samsung Omnia if it comes out in early December; I will look at the HTC Touch Pro which launched this morning. And I will continue to watch the Storm to see if BOTH the software AND hardware are remedied.

Yes, I know, the WM OS has a history of instability. But the Storm can hardly be called stable when you have to do a battery pull just to get the phone to work correctly in the first 24 hours and wait for a software update in the first 72 hours. Let's look at the upcoming Omnia as an example: it will have a 5mp camera, similar screen resolution, similar memory, an accelerometer that is already shown to be fast on shipping models, WiFi (according to sources), GPS, a motion-sensitive d-pad for easy text navigation and cursor insertion, the ability to 'flick' the screen to navigate a web page in the browswer (which I understand is Opera Mini, not PIE), push email through Microsoft service, and a serviceable media player I would consider on par with the Storm. If I look at the HTC Touch Pro, I get most of the same except WiFi, but I also get a full keyboard. In either case, I get Verizon coverage and call quality, and more-than adequate messaging.

I'm not writing this to bash the Storm or pump up WM devices. I'm just trying to provide a little perspective from the defensiveness of those who have already taken the Storm plunge. You have a very cool device with a lot of promise. But it is just that -- promise. It is disappointing that you are put in the position of defending a phone you bought that has been in development for over two years and shipped with such basic flaws, and your hopes must hang on an update that may or may not come soon, and may or may not fix all the known flaws with this phone. It most certainly will not fix the hardware flaws like the click-screen consistency or the LCD blur, etc.

I'll continue to watch from the sidelines until my January NE2 date arrives and pick the most stable phone that delivers the best maximum convergence of functions in a well-conceived form factor.

Just one guy's take on the situation. YMMV.
    11-24-08 11:08 AM
    I had an Iphone 3G for 3 weeks when it was released before returning it...

The storm is rock solid compared to that POS. The Iphone browser would constantly crash, it would occasionally lock up and have to be reset, even had to do a full restore on the phone.

And lets not even talk about using an Iphone as a phone. HORRIBLE. I had nothing but issues with dropped calls ETC. Apple exchanged my phone at one point when I took it to see their "genius" and he ran diagnostics on the phone and found I had dropped 43% of my calls. The replacement phone from Apple worked no better...

Call quality on the Storm is as good or better than any phone I have ever owned, have yet to drop one call since getting it Friday.

From my own experience, I can say the Storm is in a much better state at launch than the 3g Iphone.

I remember the Apple forum support threads with complaints being so long they had to close the threads multiple times and restart a new thread to continue the complaint discussions...
    11-24-08 11:08 AM
    "You gotta pay the Troll toll if you wanna get into this boy's hole."

HAHAHA
    11-24-08 11:09 AM
    The answer is no. The Bold was released with very few bugs if any.
    11-24-08 11:15 AM
    So I wouldn’t jump on Bobby (or me) but think about this. If you have to jerry-rig this phone to get it to run smoothly, that is a problem. BB is an amazing product and has a loyal following of devoted users.
    In all honesty I would jump on Bobby, if you look at his posts (all 30 of them)all they have been about is how the storm sucks. and its the same thing over and over again. someone *****d in his cheerios when he couldn't buy a storm so now he wants an iPhone. If you have something constructive to say about the phone good or bad thats fine. but don't continually bash it for no real reason. Go visit the iPhone forums and bash it there, I am sure that all of them will be happy to jump on your soapbox and say how it sucks right along with you.
    11-24-08 11:26 AM
    The answer is no. The Bold was released with very few bugs if any.
    It was also released 6 months late! Which probably was a good thing.
    11-24-08 11:27 AM
    Its tough to type while driving
    You shouldn't be typing and driving anyway!!!!!!!

Do I think it was an epic failure? No. But I do think it is funny that we saw all the posts about pushing back the release date any it was wrong. People thought it should have released with or before the bold. Now we hear all these complaints that Verizon wasn't ready and the phone wasn't ready. You can't have it both ways.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 11:28 AM
    I don't think you can call it a failure until February, when you can see how many were purchased for Christmas and how few or how many were returned. I think if the software update addresses most of the bugs (lack of standby and not being able to answer the phone while locked) the phone will be a huge success.
    11-24-08 11:29 AM
    Denver Mike,
    First let me say that I enjoyed your post. You make several valid points, but...
    Talking to some people about this phone is like talking to a McCain or Obama supporter. No matter who you supported, both did or said some really dumb things. You KNOW they were dumb, you cringed when you heard about it�..BUT you dismissed it because you know at the core what they believe and in the long run everything will work out..
    agreed... there are fanboys on both sides

Right now I personally don�t like my Storm. I have never owned an iphone but I am leaning on taking the Storm back and getting the iphone � but because of all of these passionate BB users I am sitting here waiting for this miracle upgrade.

If you take away your bias for the phone, whether it is the iphone or Storm � think about what Bobby said.
    I can totally respect what you are saying except the part about agreeing with Bobby... Here's the reason... You said that you PERSONALLY don't like it, it has issues, etc. Bobby on the other hand is in the "epic failure" camp trying to tell us that the phone IS a failure... It's like he is trying to decide FOR us.

Out of the box nothing is perfect, I will agree with that. But the Storm like getting a new sports car but all the tires are little 100 mile spares. The car has the potential to scream around the city but you have to go slow and wait for the tires to ship.

People want the Storm to be an amazing phone (me included) but they are blinded by there devotion and love of BB.
    Honestly though, I haven't seen that many people who don't admit that there are problems. Even the devoted BB fans. Here's a great post from Crucial... It is short, but speaks volumes simply because of who he is.

I can honestly say I have NEVER done this much research for a consumer product before I purchased it and I am an electronics freak. I have literally done my own version of pros and cons for both phones and what keeps me holding on to my Storm is faith. I even bribed a friend with some beers last night. I bribed them to sit and listen to me rant on what I should do. You would have thought I was talking about putting my family pet down. I even wrote down on an envelope the lists of apps I want for an iphone but when she asked me why keep the Storm � I told her that they should have some great apps soon too. (March)
    I did the same thing(minus the beer)... lol

So I wouldn�t jump on Bobby (or me) but think about this. If you have to jerry-rig this phone to get it to run smoothly, that is a problem. BB is an amazing product and has a loyal following of devoted users. If you take off the glasses of �RIM can do no wrong� you can see that this Storm is deficient in things � look at the poll Kevin put up, people but satisfied but know it will get better. That�s a huge testament to the BB following. If I got some other electronics and it wasn�t perfect out of the box I would probably return it without thinking.
    I WOULD agree IF this were "some other electronics", but its not. People want this to work so badly because there aren't a lot of other options. You can get the iPhone with the less-than-stellar service provider, or you can get the Storm... No other products come close to competing on this level, so people feel trapped and frustrated when things don't work smoothly.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference. People can�t just sit there and let other people enjoy a product � it�s just nuts. I work for a brewery and I see people passionately and sometimes violently argue over there favorite beer at beer festivals.

People are bizarre.
    totally...

I have heard that it did, but don't know this first-hand
    11-24-08 11:35 AM
    I think what most people that are defending the Storm are missing is that this device should have been released with a pretty tight OS. Yes some little bugs. But we are not talking little bugs. These are some huge issues that you all are facing. And now you allow yourselves to be taken advantage of again with this whole .82 to .65 issue. I think there is something more behind that story besides the security isssue you have been told. I'm not buying that whole thing. There is a serious issue going on and its not security.

RIM and VZW has sold you a device that is basically a mess. We need to be honest here. None of you should have to go through all these issues.

Napkins, broken pixels, lag, lock-ups, unresponsiveness, battery drain, lint/dust under glass, screen surepress issues, typing lag on net, camara causing lock ups, video causing lock ups, swithcing from portrait to landscape or vice versa on its own. You all should expect and demand more than this. This should be unacceptable to you as bb fans. It is to me. I expect RIM to put out a usable product like all their other devices not this junk. The ONLY thing that makes the Storm a bb is the stamp on it. The Storm does not represent a bb at all. BB's are fast, reliable and efficient devices that we have come to love. the reviews are out there and it will hinder sales. Perhaps it will send a message to RIM to put out a quality product like people are used to not a substandard phone like the Storm.

I'm not an iPhone fanboy but I do like the iPhone that's why I wanted the Storm. I like touch and I like bb's. But this phone is unacceptable in my eyes.

I feel like the people that are still carrying on about how great this phone is are the ones who obssessed the most and now have too much time and emotions invested in this phone to admit its a failure.

I love my bb as much as you all do but I have come to expect a certain quality from RIM which in the past they have lived up to. They simple missed the mark on this one. I'm hoping they will bounce back with a better touch next time around. I'm sure they will.

In closing a lot of you are hanging your hopes on an update fix. I'm telling you now and you can believe it or not. The updates will not cure all the hardware problems that you will be experiencing in the future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 12:11 PM
    can we just make a thread for people who dislike the storm? It's a pain to browse the forum and finding people complain the same issues over and over again. It's a first gen device and if you done some search and you would know these issues has already been discussed at length and most of them can be and will be fixed with updates.
    11-24-08 12:17 PM
    Yeah no problems for me...best phone yet
    11-24-08 12:19 PM
    I'd just like to point something out. Most people will post on this forum because they're *having problems*, not because the phone is working perfectly and they're loving it. In other words, people are more apt to complain about something not working than proclaim their happiness about it. I'm the same way!

So I take it with a grain of salt when I come to a Blackberry forum and see people complaining about a product. After all, I come here in search of the *negatives* - what real life people are finding is wrong with the product. If I want to learn about the phone's attributes, I'll just go to the Verizon or RIM website.

That's why when the OP starts this kind of topic, all sorts of people answer up in defense of their phone. They're not likely to post positivity on their own, because that would be boring. But in response to posts like this, people are happy to defend it.

Regardless - I don't have the phone yet (won it in the NYC touch contest, so hopefully in a few weeks), but I'm appreciative of seeing all these issues up front, so that I know what to look for when I try the phone for myself.
    11-24-08 12:36 PM
    The OP did not post a topic seeking solution or help for the trouble he/she is having with the Storm. OP is simply here to bash the storm... Sure OP is entitled to post whatever he/she feels like and share their opinion with the rest of the crackberry fans. However based on how many bashing posts we have already on the forum, I think it's safe to say that most of us are aware there are issues that concerns the Storm owners.
    We are all hoping for newer OS updates to fix the bugs and I think most of us are here looking for tricks and tips on how to unlock the full power of our device. Keeping bashing on the same topic is like beating a dead horse, it gets old seeing the same topic comes up time after time again.
    The reality is the first gen of any new tech always face some challenges, does that excuse RIM/Verizon to release such half arse product? NO.. but they do it anyway, knowing most issues can be addressed with future OS/software/firmware updates... and most business are adopting to this "release it now and fix it later with update(s)" Do I agree with what they are doing? nope.. however that is another can of worm
    PS. Just remember before the actual release date.. everyone on this forum was crying how they want the phone NOW!? because of them.. we got the half arse release.. oh and also because they want to get max profit from the holiday season/black Friday's buying power.. but looks like the rest of the world won't be getting their storm until the 15th anyway..

PPS. Congrats on wining the phone
    11-24-08 02:00 PM
    I love my storm.

that is all
    11-24-08 02:55 PM
    YUMMMY YUMMY

Troll food.

Eat up!
    11-24-08 03:10 PM
    The only problem I see on this thread is YOU! people like you coming from the iphone forum because they have nothing better to do but bother us. Do you own the phone? NOPE! then what do you know? nothing! I get so tired of having to defend a product a phone! I know that BB is a damn good phone, so what they have some difficuties every phone does. Every product has it's bugs but they get worked out in the end. If the people are NOT happy with there phone they can return it instead of posting how much they hate it and what bad things it does.

[quote=bobbykurva;1034517]Assumptions!?!? Ignorant!?!?! Have you looked at all the problem threads littering this forum? The proof is in the pudding.

quote]
    11-24-08 03:20 PM
    The only problem I see on this thread is YOU! people like you coming from the iphone forum because they have nothing better to do but bother us. Do you own the phone? NOPE! then what do you know? nothing! I get so tired of having to defend a product a phone! I know that BB is a damn good phone, so what they have some difficuties every phone does. Every product has it's bugs but they get worked out in the end. If the people are NOT happy with there phone they can return it instead of posting how much they hate it and what bad things it does.
    quote]
    The question is do you own the phone? Looking at your avatar description would imply that you don't, since it states that you're waiting for a Storm. If that's the case, then what do you know about the Storm? Following you're logic - nothing. If you know nothing about the phone, how can you defend it? You can't.

You should consider following your own advice.
    11-24-08 03:29 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD