I have the storm 2, and I want to know what good is it to have 3G when you can't get on the Blackberry browser or many other areas. Did I make a big mistake getting a Blackberry. Nothing but conflicts. Sometimes I try to use the search engines and when I press on the screen to activate the search I get NOTHING.
    07-22-10 06:40 PM
    ?? are you connected to the bb network? (you should see a little bb logo next to the 3G) if not, thats the issue. You MUST be connected for it to work
    07-22-10 06:50 PM
    yes the logo is there, however the message I get is: This is a WI-Fi service. Ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again. Whey won't it work using 3G. The 3G seems to be a joke a Blackberry. If I can"t us it why keep it.
    07-22-10 07:53 PM
    Did u subscribe to BIS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-10 08:01 PM
    I'm sorry what is BIS? I have the data plan, but if there is something else I need I'll get it.
    07-22-10 08:08 PM
    Which browser do you have selected in Browser>Options>Browser Configuration? Internet Browser or HotSpot? You should have Internet Browser selected.
    07-22-10 08:15 PM
    Bb phone need blackberry internet service data plan to bring out the FULL bb power. With bis your bb phone will work 100%.

Without bis, let's say u have normal data plan. Your bb phone will not work 100%.

There will be no push mail, can't use RIM develop apps like facebook, bb browser, msn etc. Your bb browser likely to be a hotspot browser!

So please use wifi to connect bb browser and download 3rd party apps for msn, facebook etc. Browser u can download and use opera or bolt.

They work for 3G normal data plan without BIS

Maybe u can share what country and what network operator u use?

Last edited by titusilvering; 07-22-10 at 08:21 PM.
    07-22-10 08:17 PM
    I'm in USA, and yes I do use Bolt but would like to use BB when I can't get a Wi-Fi connection.
    07-22-10 08:34 PM
    So am I right to say u got a NORMAL data plan but not BIS plan?

07-22-10 08:38 PM
    yes you are correct. What is the BIS plan and can I get it from Verizon.
    07-22-10 08:44 PM
    You have to have an actual BlackBerry data plan in order to access the BlackBerry Internet Service, which is what you need to access the BB Browser.

All you need to do is call Verizon and tell them you need a BlackBerry data plan. They'll get you set up.
    07-22-10 08:45 PM
    I now have it on Hotspot browser and I can get on BB.
    07-22-10 08:47 PM
    I already have the data plan, but what is the BIS plan?
    07-22-10 08:50 PM
    ok I now understand what the BIS is, sorry I'm not savy as I should be. In the past I was a Iphone user. Is there an advantage to unlocking myh storm?

Man, you guys are the best resource I can find. I sure do thank you.
    07-22-10 08:55 PM
    ok I now understand what the BIS is, sorry I'm not savy as I should be. In the past I was a Iphone user. Is there an advantage to unlocking myh storm?

Man, you guys are the best resource I can find. I sure do thank you.
    I too came from iphone.

A bb without BIS is almost like a knight having a shield but without a sword to kill.

Best option for you is to ask your mobile service provider to change/switch your current iphone data plan to a blackberry data plan.

if they don't allow you to do that, then you have to decide if its worth to pay more to get BIS from them. If you are under a contract that is real sucky.

In my case, I can't switch my iphone data plan, so i add on 15$ for BIS and i think its worth.

Unlocking your phone will allow you to use your phone under any mobile service provide.

In my case, mine is an unlocked verizon cdma bb, so once unlocked i am using it as a gsm bb in my country under M1 Singapore. In simple, its no longer carrier lock down.

You can sign up mobile plan with any mobile service around the world.

Worst scenario... you will stick with what you have and doing now... or sell your bb away get any phone to enjoy your existing data plan.

How did you get hold of your bb??? how much you bought it????
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-23-10 at 12:04 AM.
    07-23-10 12:01 AM
    titusilvering is correct.

Just call up Verizon, tell them that you have a BlackBerry but apparently you don't have the correct data plan because you can't get access to the BlackBerry Internet Service and they should just be able to transfer your current data plan to a BlackBerry data plan. I don't think there is any price difference on Verizon (if there is, it will be very small). You can use a BlackBerry data plan with other devices, but you can't use a BlackBerry on other data plans.

If you bought the phone used, this is likely the problem. If you bought it new, then the associate who got you set up likely just made a mistake.

As to unlocking the phone, unless you need it unlocked, there is no need to unlock it. Reasons for unlocking would be so that you could use it on GSM carriers (e.g. if you wanted to take it to AT&T or if you were going overseas and wanted to use a local SIM card), but if you don't want to bother with those things, then there is no reason to get the phone unlocked.
    07-23-10 12:53 AM
    The worst have yet to come... I fear that his bb pin is unclean. that will make his bb... like a knight with no hands to even carry a shield and a sword. Prepare to die! whahahah.
    07-23-10 05:02 AM
    Which browser do you have selected in Browser>Options>Browser Configuration? Internet Browser or HotSpot? You should have Internet Browser selected.
    I suspect this is the issue. If hotspot browser is selected, unless you are connected to a wifi network you will keep getting that error message.

Scott
    07-23-10 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD