Ok so the rumor is .148 is in final testing for VZW...What does this mean?
    05-28-09 08:52 AM
    Ok wait edit what I just said. Did you just change your post to say "final testing" because I don't think it said that the first time I read it lol. I dunna what "Final Testing" means. I'm sure it's just saying it's passed the preliminary tests for an OS, it probably doesn't have any major bugs. They probably have to see how it runs on a few different phones though.
    Last edited by gobroncos; 05-28-09 at 09:12 AM.
    05-28-09 09:09 AM
    If other carriers have the update, what's the hold-up for VZW...Can someone explain the process? Who has some inside info?
    05-28-09 09:30 AM
    From what I understand, in VZW there are several steps to testing an OS.

The last step is "friendly user testing"

Patches - one of CB members is very close to someone who actually does the testing, I think. He can correct me if I'm wrong. And he states that .148 is finishing the last phase of testing today. As a result, we *should* hear something from him, today, tomorrow, or Monday regarding the status of this testing.

If, and I do mean IF, it passes this phase of testing, we should see VZW release it as official.

This is what I understand, and Patches can correct me if I'm wrong.
    05-28-09 09:42 AM
    In testing means that they are testing it for problems and bugs. What more explanation do you need?
    05-28-09 09:45 AM
    I just don't understand what's taking so long when we have brilliant minds on this board who have fixed most issues on their own...What's the testing criteria? BTW, thanks 08757...Hope you not teasing us...
    05-28-09 10:05 AM
    every carrier has a different network and different standards, so some carriers can pass a build that has mms issues for example, but the carrier doesn't support mms on a blackberry, so none of the users will be impacted. that same build could be sent to another carrier and failed because they have mms.

and CB users can't test for network compatibility, or radiation emission, or if updating the OS adversely effects the network, other devices, causes a security flaw, or if it causes mis-provisioning on your account, etc...

so i'm unclear as to your query. did i answer all of your questions?
    05-28-09 10:14 AM
    also, VZW has 3 levels of testing.
    lab
    network
    friendly user

each is responsible for particular aspects of the testing. friendly user, or as i call 'IRL' testing...is the final stage.

all of this is explained in other threads already, have you gone through and read them? i feel like a broken record now!!! lol...
    05-28-09 10:15 AM
    thanks patches...it is becoming more clear the process...
    05-28-09 10:18 AM
    lab
    network
    friendly user

each is responsible for particular aspects of the testing. friendly user, or as i call 'IRL' testing...is the final stage.

all of this is explained in other threads already, have you gone through and read them? i feel like a broken record now!!! lol...
    I think CB Community testing is right after network in that list. . We just don't get paid to do it. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 10:29 AM
    i agree ^^^
    05-28-09 10:54 AM
    i'd say we're parallel to the friendly user, since all of the VZW test builds we've seen got leaked from VZW testers

and we don't HAVE to test so we don't get paid, it's a volunteer basis.

and honestly, we're only capable of about 1/5th of the testing they're responsible. a lot of the stuff we do is device testing, we can't test radio transmission, signal strength, and other implications that an OS could have beyond what we can see/experience.
    05-28-09 11:00 AM
    lab
    network
    friendly user

Is crackberry considered somewhere in the middle as the 'angry' user considering most of them who are on verizon are angry?
    05-28-09 11:28 AM
    Is crackberry considered somewhere in the middle as the 'angry' user considering most of them who are on verizon are angry?

ah ha ha ha ha ha lmfao roflcopter lol!

oh, wait...you weren't joking...

i'd call CB user feedback, and not part of the testing process....
    05-28-09 11:31 AM
    and honestly, we're only capable of about 1/5th of the testing they're responsible. a lot of the stuff we do is device testing, we can't test radio transmission, signal strength, and other implications that an OS could have beyond what we can see/experience.
    Wouldn't those things fall under the lab/network phase? Isn't the "friendly user" phase essentially seeing how it behaves from a user perspective, but including formal test scenarios the users are supposed to perform and provide feedback on?

As others have stated, thank you for your insight into the testing process.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 05-28-09 at 11:51 AM.
    05-28-09 11:40 AM
    Wouldn't those things fall under the lab/network phase? Isn't the "friendly user" phase essentially seeing how it behaves from a user perspective, but including formal test scenarios the users are supposed to perform and provide feedback on?
    yeah kinda. but there is more to the "user perspective" part, and the formal test script they're given includes actions/tests that would require access to some network/user tools that we don't have...
    05-28-09 11:49 AM

Yep... I've said it before and I'll say it again. The testing script moves pretty fast.... You don't stop and take a look around once in a while, you might miss a bug or two.
    05-28-09 01:05 PM
    It really depends on what the meaning of "is"......is
    05-28-09 01:10 PM

<german accent> in testing. very, in testing</german accent>
    05-28-09 01:53 PM
    the phrase happens to be "in testing mean", please quote correctly...

what a bunch of n00bs!
    05-28-09 01:55 PM
    OK, I have to ask..."IRL"?
    05-28-09 02:07 PM
    IRL -> in real life
    05-28-09 02:10 PM
    If this passes and becomes official, will it be available for OTA download or from the PC only?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 02:27 PM
    IRL -> in real life
    I think this needs to be changed to Real World Testing. RWT. IRL would hold true for network testing as well... unless you guys think that network testing is science fiction.
    05-28-09 02:40 PM
    well network testing can be done in controlled enviornments, even simulated. it's not always "IRL"...therefore...the IRL.
    05-28-09 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD