I have always been curious what the *228 + option 1 does. Also wondering if and when you guys do the *228 + option 2. Only reason I ask is I always have the signal going crazy from full bars to zero to full. Running the 9530 .151/5.0/.141 hybrid.

One more thing - when I was running .141, seemed like it happened 3 or 4 times a day - I would use the 3G 1XEV and drop to the 1X. Tried to resend service books but never worked. Only way to get the 1XEV again was to reboot.
    06-03-09 12:10 PM
    Stolen from Howardforums:

*228 Option 1 - This option does both a PRL update ("option 2") , plus loads the phone with it's "initial needed data" such as it's phone number, home ID etc. This is normally done once only when you get a new phone & need your number OTA programmed into it, but there is no harm in doing it again, as you are simply re-writing the same data over itself into the phone.
    06-03-09 12:55 PM
    *22899 is a better/quicker choice.

This initiates an OTA (over the air) installation of the latest PRL (Preferred Routing List) which determines the order in which your device searches for carrier signals.
    06-03-09 01:02 PM
    *228-1 is for the initial programming your phone
    *228-2 updates PRL info for improvements/changes to the network.

doesn't do anythine else besides that.
    06-03-09 03:37 PM
    How often does the prl file get updated?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-12-09 09:56 PM
    *228-1 is for the initial programming your phone (including latest PRL)
    *228-2 updates PRL info for improvements/changes to the network.

doesn't do anythine else besides that.
    Fixed. Also, be aware that *22899 is the same as *228 opt 1. Just FYI again, for everyone.
    06-12-09 10:49 PM
    Fixed. Also, be aware that *22899 is the same as *228 opt 1. Just FYI again, for everyone.
    I think *22899 is the same as *228, option 2 (not 1)
    06-12-09 11:51 PM
    I think *22899 is the same as *228, option 2 (not 1)
    Negative. *22899 is the same as *228 opt 1. I'm beyond 10000% certain. It's what I use all the time. It was actually designed to provision the cellular modems that VZW sells. After all, you can't dial *228 opt 1 on them.... well, you could ATDT *228,,,,1, but still, you get what I'm saying.
    06-13-09 12:05 AM
    and how ofter should we be doing this?
    06-13-09 10:37 AM
    and how ofter should we be doing this?
    You can do a PRL update every couple of months. Here recently, I've done it more frequently (one a month) because of the Alltel/VZW tower changes that have been going on. To see if the PRL has changed type in #HELP* Send and look for PRL version. Then do your PRL update and check it again. If the number changed, the version changed and was updated. If no, then there was no update available.
    06-13-09 11:35 AM
    You can do a PRL update every couple of months. Here recently, I've done it more frequently (one a month) because of the Alltel/VZW tower changes that have been going on. To see if the PRL has changed type in #HELP* Send and look for PRL version. Then do your PRL update and check it again. If the number changed, the version changed and was updated. If no, then there was no update available.
    Here's a question for ya Civic, can the SCI be changed on a BB? Slot Cycle Index which, if you didn't already know is the rate at which the device polls the towers for info. I could change it on my 6800 through the EPST. I can't seem to find a way to do it on the BB
    06-13-09 11:48 AM
    If you can't do it with QPST, then it's probably not an available option... to the end user. It been a while since I've been in there with QPST on the Storm, so I can't tell you if I saw it or not in there.
    06-13-09 03:36 PM
    ...To see if the PRL has changed type in #HELP* Send and look for PRL version. Then do your PRL update and check it again. If the number changed, the version changed and was updated. If no, then there was no update available.
    Hey Civic - Are you typing #HELP* in the to: field on an SMS? I can't get it to take. I know I'm just missing something totally simple...
    06-13-09 04:59 PM
    Hey Civic - Are you typing #HELP* in the to: field on an SMS? I can't get it to take. I know I'm just missing something totally simple...
    If I told you to dial 1800CRACKBERRY, how would you do it on a regular phone?
    06-13-09 05:58 PM
    OK, I deserved that one.

Thanks for the help, though.

Just updated and I went from 51284 to 51425.

Question for you: When I did the #HELP*, My model shows as 9530 but H/W shows as 9500. Just found that curious. Do you know why that is?
    06-13-09 07:18 PM
    OK, I deserved that one.

Thanks for the help, though.

Just updated and I went from 51284 to 51425.

Question for you: When I did the #HELP*, My model shows as 9530 but H/W shows as 9500. Just found that curious. Do you know why that is?
    Because both the 9530 and 9500 are the same hardware wise... as in IDENTICAL. Their differences are controlled by low level software.
    06-13-09 09:34 PM
    Because both the 9530 and 9500 are the same hardware wise... as in IDENTICAL. Their differences are controlled by low level software.
    So could a 9500 be "reverse unlocked" somehow, so a person residing in Europe for instance could use their Voda 9500 on VZW prepaid while in the states?
    06-14-09 11:02 PM
    So could a 9500 be "reverse unlocked" somehow, so a person residing in Europe for instance could use their Voda 9500 on VZW prepaid while in the states?
    No because you don't have the software tools necessary to do this.

Also (not that it matters, but for the sake of discussion) VZW Prepaid cannot encompass BB Data plans.
    06-14-09 11:37 PM
    Europe exclusively uses GSM. VZW is CDMA. Which is admittedly odd, since Vodaphone is one of our parent companies. Things will change with LTE, but that's a year away.

Edit: I suppose I should clarify: CDMA does not use SIM cards, unless we're talking devices like the storm that are a CDMA/GSM combo platter. And in those cases, the SIM is *only* used for international roaming. So it's not like you can just grab a prepaid card out of a gas station and stick it in.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 06-14-09 at 11:55 PM.
    06-14-09 11:46 PM
    Europe exclusively uses GSM. VZW is CDMA. Which is admittedly odd, since Vodaphone is one of our parent companies. Things will change with LTE, but that's a year away.

Edit: I suppose I should clarify: CDMA does not use SIM cards, unless we're talking devices like the storm that are a CDMA/GSM combo platter. And in those cases, the SIM is *only* used for international roaming. So it's not like you can just grab a prepaid card out of a gas station and stick it in.
    Pretty sure he knows how it works.... the question was intended as otherwise. (i.e. rebranding the 9500 as a 9530 to turn on its CDMA capabilities)
    06-14-09 11:59 PM

uhh, I would ask patches
    06-15-09 02:29 AM
    Not really... Verizon Wireless appeared out of a merger between Bell Atlantic, Vodafone's US operations, Airtouch Comm and some other company. The resulting merger was a nationwide network, but of CDMA towers.

And LTE is a year away for some major markets, it's 6+ years out before it's across Verizon's entire footprint, and even then LTE is data-only at this point, since they haven't firmly decided on the methodology for voice over LTE.

Suffice to say, it will be many moons until you'll be able to take your VZW phone to London and it work (unless you're rocking a world phone ).
    06-15-09 03:25 AM
    LMAO....too funny!!
    06-15-09 08:48 PM
    Not really... Verizon Wireless appeared out of a merger between Bell Atlantic, Vodafone's US operations, Airtouch Comm and some other company. The resulting merger was a nationwide network, but of CDMA towers.
    I know the history, I guess I'm just surprised they didn't jump in with something GSM, like Cingular, instead.

And LTE is a year away for some major markets, it's 6+ years out before it's across Verizon's entire footprint, and even then LTE is data-only at this point, since they haven't firmly decided on the methodology for voice over LTE.

Suffice to say, it will be many moons until you'll be able to take your VZW phone to London and it work (unless you're rocking a world phone ).
    LTE may be data-only in the near future, but they have to make up their minds eventually. (And knowing VZW, that + sign is there for a reason.)

Besides, if what I know about LTE stands, we'll all be carrying world-phones anyway. Either that, or cellular VOIP phones.
    06-16-09 12:00 AM
    What do you do? Call it, text it or what??
    It didn't work when I called it
    12-17-10 05:52 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD