07-09-10 10:31 AM
44 12
tools
    Dont really know what is the group feature but BBM can send group messages? normal txt can't?

BBM ..It give me a feeling of always connected. And one important feature is that I can see if my message been delivered (D) and read (R) by the other end. Hope i interpret the sign beside the tick correctly.

Using MSN, there's no way to know, using sms also no way to know if the other party read your messages.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-09-10 at 12:07 AM.
    07-09-10 12:03 AM
    ...do I try to find a used S2 and wait for the S3 to come out?
    That's what I would do
    07-09-10 12:30 AM
    Jaji: I have unlimited TXT. Don't know of many plans that don't.
    Hmmmmm, I just looked on VZW's site and they don't seem to offer an unlimited TXT plan. They have unlimited VZW to VZW plus 5000 text messages. That's the biggest plan they have right now. When you say unlimited are you sure you don't mean unlimited VZW to VZW?
    07-09-10 12:34 AM
    If your looking for more apps and better multimedia capabilities you should get a droid, but if you wanna stick with a BB i would get a used S2 and wait for the S3 to be released. Although droids are cool phones they're not the best messaging devices. Besides the droid x has to be one of the ugliest droid phones on the market. I guess Motorola didn't get the memo that touchscreen phones are suppose to sleek.
    Last edited by yungcrum; 07-09-10 at 12:44 AM.
    07-09-10 12:41 AM
    Hmmmmm, I just looked on VZW's site and they don't seem to offer an unlimited TXT plan. They have unlimited VZW to VZW plus 5000 text messages. That's the biggest plan they have right now. When you say unlimited are you sure you don't mean unlimited VZW to VZW?
    Verizon does offer unlimited texting.
    07-09-10 12:54 AM
    If your looking for more apps and better multimedia capabilities you should get a droid, but if you wanna stick with a BB i would get a used S2 and wait for the S3 to be released. Although droids are cool phones they're not the best messaging devices. Besides the droid x has to be one of the ugliest droid phones on the market. I guess Motorola didn't get the memo that touchscreen phones are suppose to sleek.
    LOL, I feel the same. Motorola seems to have a knack for using materials, design, and fit that resemble the '80's. HTC also seems to use cheap looking and feeling materials on their phones. And the Incredible is just plain fugly, IMO.

If I were going to switch to Android, I think I'd be looking at Samsung.

And for the OP...I have been very pleased with my S2. I expect it will serve me well until the S3 gets here!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-10 01:41 AM
    Wait for the Storm 3..
    07-09-10 01:48 AM
    Wait for the Storm 3..
    That will be next year.
    07-09-10 02:40 AM
    I am looking at the DX also but am going to wait to see what the early adopters have to say. My S2 is holding its own with the right build but I don't think I can wait for the S3 as Android is just too compelling.

07-09-10 05:12 AM
    That will be next year.
    Yes, but most likely it will be EARLY next year, so it may only be a 7-8 month wait! Verizon wants to get their 4G up and running and the S3 (according to Sal) will be one of their "flag ship" phones sporting 4G.
    07-09-10 07:04 AM
    Yes, but most likely it will be EARLY next year, so it may only be a 7-8 month wait! Verizon wants to get their 4G up and running and the S3 (according to Sal) will be one of their "flag ship" phones sporting 4G.
    7-8 months in the device world of today is like generations in mankind development.
    Android Army is churning out devices as fast as Google engineers are developing newer Android version (Froyo has not even thawed yet, they are already baking Gingerbread). Microsoft will be launching Windows Phone 7 and who knows, it may bring in the Zune and XBOX goodness and knock the socks off its competitors. No one knows what HP plans to do with WebOS (arguably the slickest mobile GUI) yet. 2010 has a lot of mobile goodies in the bag.
    My point is, if RIM is waiting till 2011, it may be a tad late to the party.
    07-09-10 08:40 AM
    SMS (text) and BBM are NOT the same thing. First of all, texting costs $. For $5 a month, my plan allows for 250 text or MMS messages sent and received. Anything after that and it's like $.25 per sent message and $.10 per received. It can cause your bill to skyrocket, trust me. That's why my wife now has 500 messages and free VZW to VZW.

Secondly, text messages only give you 160 characters. WACK! You can barely get your thoughts flowing in 160 characters. That's why 'IDK' and 'BRB' and all that became super popular, so people can fit all their thoughts into a text.

BBM allows you to send pictures and voice notes as well. There are no limits, and no restrictions whatsoever.

Before I had a BB, my cousins, who both had BBM, would send me texts and picture messages throughout the day. I was like "Uhhh, you know this isn't free right?" It was for them because they had BBM. That's my only true issue with BBM, my cousins sending me crap all day long just because its free.

Man this was kinda lengthy. In short BBM >>>>>> SMS (text messaging).
    BBM also costs money (you have to have an IM plan), where I live it costs $15 for that, my text plan costs $10 for 2500 texts and i have never and dont think I ever will go over that. for your voice notes, picture messaging, etc there is something called Ping which you can get for free on android and iPhone, not sure about BBs.

talking about experience with my droid, you can type as much as you want and you arent limited to 160 characters. my buddy has an iphone and he receives my texts in one blob but I do understand some people's carriers break up the texts into (1/2, 2/2, etc)

BBM =< SMS
    07-09-10 09:05 AM
    lol

ugliest? the X is a beast and when you're watching movies/playing games you want a bigger screen dont you??? also your onscreen keyboard keys are a bit bigger.

and why do you say they are not the best messaging devices? they do support push e-mail and you can hook them up to your exchange server if you have one.

if you're comparing the Droid X to the Storm 2 the Droid X, light said by a few people here, is lightyears ahead. Android in general always will be ahead of BBs.
    07-09-10 09:09 AM
    The only smartphones i've ever owned were blackberries...from the world edition to the curve and i've had a s2 since its release date. For the last 4 months the only thing keeping me from switching over to a droid device was BBM...someone turned me on to Google Talk and its the exact same thing. The only thing I think I'll miss about blackberry is the quality of their push e-mail. Other than that, I think you'd be hard pressed to disagree with the fact that the Incredible, the X, and the Evo are lightyears ahead of any blackberry device. It's ashame, I always said I'd always own a blackberry, but every thing from their OS to their Web Browser to their App Store is wayyyy behind their competitors. Sorry, but one week from jumping ship...
    good decision dude you won't regret it one bit

why phone are you looking to purchase?
    07-09-10 09:12 AM
    Verizon does offer unlimited texting.
    you are paying more for that plan though. Like $10 for unlimited SMS/MMS. That has been around for quite a while actually. I use it up until a couple months ago. i only need 250 ish though so i got that instead.

BBM also costs money (you have to have an IM plan), where I live it costs $15 for that, my text plan costs $10 for 2500 texts and i have never and dont think I ever will go over that. for your voice notes, picture messaging, etc there is something called Ping which you can get for free on android and iPhone, not sure about BBs.

talking about experience with my droid, you can type as much as you want and you arent limited to 160 characters. my buddy has an iphone and he receives my texts in one blob but I do understand some people's carriers break up the texts into (1/2, 2/2, etc)

BBM =< SMS
    ok for YOU then you have to pay for BBM. For all americans you dont. its part of the data package with RIM anyway for email and internet. you are in the minority.
    07-09-10 09:28 AM
    you are paying more for that plan though. Like $10 for unlimited SMS/MMS. That has been around for quite a while actually. I use it up until a couple months ago. i only need 250 ish though so i got that instead.

ok for YOU then you have to pay for BBM. For all americans you dont. its part of the data package with RIM anyway for email and internet. you are in the minority.
    so you're still paying for it

so there is just one big data package for IM, email and internet in the states?
    07-09-10 09:50 AM
    Bbm = blackberry messenger?

Why need to pay for that? Isn't it part of the data plan which include surfing, I'm, downloading, streaming etc whatever.....

Which country need to pay for sending message using bb messenger?

Or u talking about broadband on mobile? I am confused.

07-09-10 10:19 AM
    Bbm = blackberry messenger?

Why need to pay for that? Isn't it part of the data plan which include surfing, I'm, downloading, streaming etc whatever.....

Which country need to pay for sending message using bb messenger?

Or u talking about broadband on mobile? I am confused.

There is a package just for IM and email
    then there is a data package which includes internet browsing as well so you could just have im and email or you could have everything
    07-09-10 10:23 AM

BBM =< SMS
    Well you clearly live in a different country than me . BBM is free in the US. I have a $30 data plan that gives me unlimited email/internet and BBM is included in that. And you can type more than 160 characters in an SMS on Android and many other fones but they will be split up on the receiving end. IDK if that's a US thing too but that's how its worked on every fone I've ever owned.1 300 character SMS sent = 2 SMS's received. Can anyone else in the US chime in and verify that?
    07-09-10 10:31 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD