Not knowing the technical details of how Blackberry pushes email, I would like one of you experts out there to fill me in. I use a couple of "mail.com" accounts. Emails sent to me through those accounts can be significantly delayed in arriving to my BB. Sometimes a few minutes, but sometimes up to a half hour.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-10 06:00 PM
    all carriers are a little different with the delays. hotmail and gmail are instant for me. My work is about 15 minutes delayed though. There isnt really anything you can do to make them faster its just the way RIM and that email system work.
    05-01-10 06:10 PM
    So is the concensus that gmail is very quick? I would HATE to have change email addresses, but I may have to consider it.

05-01-10 06:25 PM
    gmail and hotmail are instant for me
    05-01-10 06:42 PM
    My primary e-mail comes through an IMAP server at GMX. Depending on timing that can be delayed up to 15 minutes or so while the BB retrieving interval is satisfied.

Yahoo mail is forwarded to the phone and is near instant.

G-mail is forwarded to my BB address and is likewise near instant.

For my purposes all the timings are just fine.

05-01-10 06:46 PM
    If your email account is POP3, rather than IMAP, the emails will be delayed, since POP3 only searches for emails at a time interval. It is a limitation of the protocol. See if you can use IMAP instead. Otherwise, you will need to use an email such as Gmail that has IMAP.
    05-01-10 07:18 PM
    Mail.com does support IMAP, but that may only be as of a few months ago when they upgraded their whole system. I see no way to tell my BB to use IMAP rather than POP3.

05-01-10 08:09 PM
    Mail.com does support IMAP, but that may only be as of a few months ago when they upgraded their whole system. I see no way to tell my BB to use IMAP rather than POP3.

Is it possible to change your settings in your mail.com when you log into it on your PC? I selected IMAP, rather than POP3, in the Gmail account when I signed into Gmail on the PC.
    05-01-10 08:14 PM
    Well, I can configure my PC's email client to access those accounts using either POP3 or IMAP, but those settings are on my client side. I can't do anything on the mail.com (server side) to force IMAP - at least as far as I am aware.

05-01-10 08:22 PM
    Well, I can configure my PC's email client to access those accounts using either POP3 or IMAP, but those settings are on my client side. I can't do anything on the mail.com (server side) to force IMAP - at least as far as I am aware.

Here's how it's done in Gmail.
    05-01-10 08:29 PM

You need to run Email Setup on your phone and hit Menu/Create Username. Then go to your carrier's BIS portal, log in with the newly created username/password, and look at changing the advanced settings for the account in question to IMAP.

Verizon's portal is https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

05-01-10 09:37 PM
    You need to run Email Setup on your phone and hit Menu/Create Username. Then go to your carrier's BIS portal, log in with the newly created username/password, and look at changing the advanced settings for the account in question to IMAP.

Verizon's portal is https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

There doesn't seem to be any such option. In fact, I don't see "advanced settings", only "Settings" for -

- Email account name:
    - Reply to:
    - Your name:
    - User name:
    - Password:
    - Signature:
    - Auto BCC to:
    - Synchronize

(the same options that are available on the phones email set up)
    Last edited by jhimmel; 05-01-10 at 10:19 PM.
    05-01-10 10:17 PM
    See if you can change the settings from POP3 to IMAP in your mail.com account on your PC when you are using webmail, not Outlook or another mail client. I set my Gmail settings while using the Gmail webmail, not using my Outlook client.
    05-01-10 10:20 PM
    Well, if IMAP was only recently enabled for that account, you can try deleting and adding it back into BIS. By default, IMAP protocol will be tried first before POP3 when BIS Wizard tries to guess the account protocol to use.

05-01-10 10:30 PM
    Well, if IMAP was only recently enabled for that account, you can try deleting and adding it back into BIS. By default, IMAP protocol will be tried first before POP3 when BIS Wizard tries to guess the account protocol to use.

Good to know, Civic, that may just be the answer.

05-01-10 10:33 PM

Bingo. That seemed to work. AND deleting and re-adding the account even saved the existing messages on the phone..

Thanks for your help.
    05-01-10 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD