I'm going to get my phone, my first BB, next week. With people sometimes - and sometimes more than once - having to exchange their phone bc this or that not working, what can and should be checked before activation? Thanks a bunch. You've been a great help.
    11-06-09 08:40 PM
    If by activation you mean provisioning the phone with your phone company then you can pretty much test everything except for things that require data and making phone calls. It would basically be like turning on the phone without a sim card installed
    11-06-09 08:43 PM
    You can connect with WI FI. But you have 30 days to return even if you activate.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 09:04 PM
    What I meant was to check whatever I can before transferring the contacts, ringtones, music, pics, etc. If something happens to be wrong w/ that particular phone, I'd want to exchange it and not having to transfer everything again.
    11-06-09 10:22 PM
    If by activation you mean provisioning the phone with your phone company then you can pretty much test everything except for things that require data and making phone calls. It would basically be like turning on the phone without a sim card installed
    When I once tried a phone w/o a sim card installed, all I could do was to turn it on and read "Please install the SIM card." Didn't get anywhere beyond that.
    11-06-09 10:26 PM
    I would think not much. But Verizon phones you usually can play with most of the features it just says that "Initial Programming Required" at the top.
    11-06-09 10:54 PM
    When I once tried a phone w/o a sim card installed, all I could do was to turn it on and read "Please install the SIM card." Didn't get anywhere beyond that.
    Oh really? If i remember correctly, when I was prepping my Bold to sell it, i removed the sim and then was able to go in and do some cleaning. It did show a message about no sim being inserted but I was still able to navigate the phone.

There have been phones that just sit at an error screen asking to insert a sim card though so you def. are correct.
    11-06-09 11:24 PM
    Turn it on and test the screen out and the buttons at the bottom. Other than that you should be good to go. If there is something wrong with it than you do have 30 days to get a better one.
    11-06-09 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD