When I placed my order for the Storm with Verizon telesales last week, they charged me $41.25 in taxes on a $199.99 Storm. The tax if calculated based on 8.25% (Los Angeles County) locally is supposed to be $16.49, but they said it is taxed on the full retail price of $499.99.

My question is, did you others who ordered through telesales also get taxed this much, and also to those of you who purchased in store, did you get taxed this much too?
    11-24-08 09:38 PM
    That's incorrect. They can only tax you based on what they collected. Tell them to kindly refund you or you'll go to the consumer fraud division of your State Attorney General.
    11-24-08 09:39 PM
    yup i was only taxed on the 199
    11-24-08 09:41 PM
    ^^ correct.

Taxes are based on the purchase price. It would be the same if you walked in and bought a car. You pay tax based on what you paid for it not the sticker price =)
    11-24-08 09:42 PM
    Like Coaster said. What they did is illegal since you didn't pay retail price so there isn't anything to tax. Get em to refund you ASAP.
    11-24-08 09:43 PM
    They taxed me on the retail price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 09:43 PM
    how did you pay for your storm? Or what I mean is, where did you order it from or did you purchase it in store? That same thing happened to me & I live across the country from you. I am thinking that it is a state requirement or something like Amazon charges tax now for certain states (believe me that PISSES ME OFF ROYALLY)
    11-24-08 09:46 PM
    His tax is correct. California is required to collect tax on the retail price of a product that was obtained at a discount due to coupons, upgrade pricing, etc. If you got a free phone from them, you'd still pay tax on the retail price.
    11-24-08 09:47 PM
    before you open fraud cases . . . check your state law - some states will charge based on retail price of "luxury items"
    11-24-08 09:47 PM
    When I placed my order for the Storm with Verizon telesales last week, they charged me $41.25 in taxes on a $199.99 Storm. The tax if calculated based on 8.25% (Los Angeles County) locally is supposed to be $16.49, but they said it is taxed on the full retail price of $499.99.

My question is, did you others who ordered through telesales also get taxed this much, and also to those of you who purchased in store, did you get taxed this much too?
    what they did is perfectly legal because I purchased my phone at a Verizon store (Los Angeles)and right below the total it says:
    *some states require us to compute sales tax on the full retail price or inventory cost of the device you purchase.*
    Thats California for you.
    11-24-08 09:48 PM
    how did you pay for your storm? Or what I mean is, where did you order it from or did you purchase it in store? That same thing happened to me & I live across the country from you. I am thinking that it is a state requirement or something like Amazon charges tax now for certain states (believe me that PISSES ME OFF ROYALLY)
    I paid by credit card. The only thing I can think of where my situation may be different from most others is that I get a employee discount through my employer. But the discount is on the service not the phone. I paid $199.99 just like everyone else for the phone.
    11-24-08 09:49 PM
    His tax is correct. California is required to collect tax on the retail price of a product that was obtained at a discount due to coupons, upgrade pricing, etc. If you got a free phone from them, you'd still pay tax on the retail price.
    Makes perfect sense.
    It's possible that that's correct. I read that it's a state by state thing. Some states DO charge tax based on the full retail of the device.

Verizon isn't trying to scam you. They don't get any of the money collected from the tax anyway. IT'S A TAX.
    California is the only state that does this. It is one of the many ways that they nickel&dime you so that they can afford all of their liberal state funded programs...
    Verizofornia.
    11-24-08 09:51 PM
    yes california charges based on full retail .
    11-24-08 09:53 PM
    California is the only state that does this. It is one of the many ways that they nickel&dime you so that they can afford all of their liberal state funded programs...
    Verizofornia.
    You're about to unleash a political debate that I don't think you intended.

I'm trying really hard to hold back.
    11-24-08 09:59 PM
    eeehh. whatever. its true. It's not worth getting into, i'm a democrat, but i know how the system works. lets just drop it.
    11-24-08 10:02 PM
    Verizofornia.
    Wait, doesn't California have a REPUBLICAN governor? I thought republican & liberal we like the Mongoose & the snake, never to be found in healthy relationships with each other?
    11-24-08 10:03 PM
    It's possible that that's correct. I read that it's a state by state thing. Some states DO charge tax based on the full retail of the device.

Verizon isn't trying to scam you. They don't get any of the money collected from the tax anyway. IT'S A TAX.
    My friend who bought his from Best Buy (in California) said that he paid the correct sales tax at around $16. He pre-ordered his Storm. I am not sure he's correct. Can anyone else who purchased from a Best Buy in California chime in?
    11-24-08 10:04 PM
    Verizofornia.
    I'll let them nickel & dime me for the "liberal state funded programs" - it's a small price to pay to be able to live at the beach and wear shorts and flip-flops 11 months out of the year.
    11-24-08 10:05 PM
    Here in california the tax is based on the full retail value of the phone. My tax was $39.60 here in Sacramento,CA $199.00+$39.60

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 10:08 PM
    No sales tax in Oregon paid 199
    11-24-08 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD