Well now this is a weird one... After upgrading to .148 the other night, it seems the upgrade might have deleted the Poynt app.

This all started when I noticed on the crackberry home page today that you can download the Poynt 1.3.1.29 upgrade. So I went to the Poynt website on my Storm, and read the warning that if you already have the previous version of Poynt, please delete it from your phone and then download the upgrade.

However, I went to delete the previous version and noticed it was no longer on my phone! The .148 upgrade process (I used DM not OTA) must have wiped it out and I didn't notice. Oh well I thought, just DL the Poynt upgrade and I'll be fine. As I was downloading the installer, I got two separate messages telling me that there were already Poynt components installed on my phone and they were going to be overwritten by the new files. I clicked OK. Had to reboot the phone in order to use Poynt, the installer said when finished, so I rebooted.

After startup, no Poynt. Not in the DL folder (where it's supposed to be, right?), not on the home screen, not in the Apps folder, can't find it anywhere!

So I went back to the Poynt website and tried it again. Same result. No Poynt!!!
    (I'll refrain from the "this is Poyntless!" jokes for the moment)

HELP! Poynt me in the right direction if you can.
    Thanks!
    06-03-09 04:43 PM
    i didnt have any problem with the upgrade. i just loaded it over the previous version i had installed and had no issues at all.

when you go to

Options>advanced options>applications

does it show up at in module or normal mode?
    06-03-09 04:52 PM
    It shows up in the app list in bold and when I clicked on it, it lists:
    Description
    Version
    Vendor
    then it says:
    Modules: (2)
    Poynt
    PoyntGraphics

What do I do now?
    06-03-09 05:02 PM
    i would uninstall and reinstall
    06-03-09 05:04 PM
    thanks for the tip.
    There was no option to uninstall but there was a "DELETE" option in the bb menu, so I deleted it and will try it again.
    06-03-09 05:08 PM
    okay so I reinstalled after rebooting...
    After the install, I got the message the app was installed successfully.
    A message came up that said, OK or RUN. I was too quick on the trigger and instead of clicking "RUN" I clicked OK.

Now I have the same problem all over again. The program is nowhere to be found.
    06-03-09 05:16 PM
    this is REALLY getting frustrating.
    So after screwing up (my fault) by not clicking RUN, I went into Options>advanced options>applications and deleted it AGAIN, and then went back to the Poynt web site and downloaded the app for the 3rd time and this time it dl'd successfully and I clicked "RUN."

So far so good. It installs itself, but then it directed me to a EULA page with no way to click AGREE. I scrolled from top to bottom to find out how to agree and it there is no AGREE button!!! When I clicked the back button, I was redirected back to the download page!!!

It's been one of those days.
    06-03-09 05:33 PM
    u never mentioned this, did u check to see if it is hidden?

homescreen > bbmenu > show all > check in all folders
    06-03-09 05:35 PM
    u never mentioned this, did u check to see if it is hidden?

homescreen > bbmenu > show all > check in all folders
    yeah that is where i was headed next
    06-03-09 05:43 PM
    Thanks DriftDevil, yes it was hidden. I'm still enuf of a n00b to not know about the hidden thing. I didn't realize I had hidden it.
    So I make it show up now and I click it. I still get the EULA screen. The problem with the EULA screen is that the web address to view the EULA online is so close to the AGREE button that you can't click the AGREE button, it clicks the link to read the agreement. So I hold my finger over the AGREE button for about a minute and finally it highlights. I click it...

And now the program launches and it only works with a portrait qwerty keyboard. IIRC, the Poynt works in both portrait and landscape mode does it not?

Thanks for your help. I'm further along than I was... I guess.
    06-03-09 05:48 PM
    Thanks DriftDevil, yes it was hidden. I'm still enuf of a n00b to not know about the hidden thing. I didn't realize I had hidden it.
    So I make it show up now and I click it. I still get the EULA screen. The problem with the EULA screen is that the web address to view the EULA online is so close to the AGREE button that you can't click the AGREE button, it clicks the link to read the agreement. So I hold my finger over the AGREE button for about a minute and finally it highlights. I click it...

And now the program launches and it only works with a portrait qwerty keyboard. IIRC, the Poynt works in both portrait and landscape mode does it not?

Thanks for your help. I'm further along than I was... I guess.
    a keyboard shows?

options > advanced options > applications > poynt > bbmenu > disable compatibility mode
    06-03-09 05:49 PM
    Thanks DriftDevil and howarmat! You guys rock!
    Now it works just fine! In landscape mode even!
    I'm good to go now!
    06-03-09 05:54 PM
    time for dinner and movie!
    06-03-09 05:56 PM
    Right on! Now that I'm "Poynted" in the right direction!
    06-03-09 06:16 PM
    one question, how did "disable compatibility mode" get rid of the keyboard? What is "compatibility mode" anyway?
    06-03-09 06:42 PM
    one question, how did "disable compatibility mode" get rid of the keyboard? What is "compatibility mode" anyway?

Despite the fact that this thread is closed, I will answer your question.

Compatibility Mode is designed to

* Restrict the BlackBerry smartphone to portrait view while you are using the third-party application
    * Imitate trackball navigation (for example, if you touch the BlackBerry smartphone screen and slide your finger, this is similar to moving a trackball cursor, or if you click the screen, this is similar to clicking a trackball)

If you want to use a third-party application that was not designed for the BlackBerry Storm smartphone touch screen, you can turn on Compatibility Mode.

If the third-party application requires a keyboard, the SureType� technology keyboard appears.
    06-03-09 06:57 PM
    Hi Motrv8d!

Thanks for your continued interest in Poynt.

Compatibility mode allows applications that were built for older devices before the Storm to run on the storm. It essentially emulates a trackball and keyboard (you will notice if you swipe your finger just above the keyboard things will start to happen). There are cases where the device gets confused about whether an application should run in compatibility mode. If you manually set it to disabled you will not see the problem re-occur.
    06-03-09 06:59 PM
    Hi Motrv8d!

Thanks for your continued interest in Poynt.

Compatibility mode allows applications that were built for older devices before the Storm to run on the storm. It essentially emulates a trackball and keyboard (you will notice if you swipe your finger just above the keyboard things will start to happen). There are cases where the device gets confused about whether an application should run in compatibility mode. If you manually set it to disabled you will not see the problem re-occur.
    thanks for answering the question. Next time I'll try to be more mindful of the proper forum.

Pretty good stuff to know. When the kb came up there was no option to hide it, and I really thought, "oh great, the new upgrade is locking the interface into portrait mode (which is what I NEVER use) and now it doesn't even seem to work right. The buttons were really laggy and how the heck can I see anything with this **** kb that won't go away?" I had no idea about this compatibiltity mode.

Here are one user's suggestions to making the out of the box experience with the Poynt app more friendly:

Put a little more space between the link of the EULA and the APPROVE/CANCEL buttons. It took a long time for my finger to hover over that APPROVE button before it would highlight. The link is so close to the buttons that when they don't highlight right away I'm inclined to click it anyway, and of course I'm taken to the EULA text which you hope has a button at the end of it to approve and so you flick flick flick all the way down to the end of this YOUUUUUUUU-LAAAAAAAA and there is no button.

So you click the back button and it takes you all the way back to the page where you downloaded the Poynt upgrade.

So my upgrade experience wasn't the best. I'll get over it, but it was frustrating having to do it over and over again. N00bs will test the system. The good news is I have my Poynt back, don't know how it got hidden in the first place.
    06-03-09 10:31 PM
    Did you apologize to .148?
    06-03-09 10:33 PM
    LOL+10chars
    Last edited by motrv8d; 06-05-09 at 12:06 AM.
    06-04-09 12:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD